Forum ride, Forest of Bowland, 20th July or 17th Aug?

ColinJ
ColinJ Posts: 2,218
Hi all.

Over the past couple of years, I organised a few rides in West Yorkshire and Lancashire for members of the C+ forum. I met some friendly people and we had some good days out on our bikes. It's about a year since my last forum ride, so it's time to arrange another one. The C+ forum is no more so I'm posting this on CycleChat and on BikeRadar since the old C+ crowd seem to be spread over both forums (fora).

So... after negotiation with various people over the date, I've decided on Sunday July 20th. I know that it clashes with the Legbreaker Challenge and the Roses Round, but it's impossible to find a date that suits everybody [PS repeat run on 17th August. if you can't make the July date]

Most of my routes have been based in West Yorkshire because that's where I live. I thought it would make a change to do one in Lancashire and since I'm fond of the Forest of Bowland, I've come up with a nice loop out there. I hope that I can tempt a few of you to join me :wink:?

Start: Sunday July 20th, 10:00 am at Spring Wood picnic site, Whalley. Car parking, toilets and (usually) an ice cream van there.

The route passes through Whalley, Billington, Ribchester, and Hurst Green. It then climbs Longridge Fell and Beacon Fell. We continue to skirt clockwise round the big hills to our right, through Oakenclough and eventually climb the lovely Trough of Bowland from the 'easier' side. After the Trough, we pass through Dunsop Bridge and on to Newton. A right turn there takes us up the biggest climb of the day - Waddington Fell. After a quick descent we arrive at the village of Waddington where there is a good cyclists' cafe. From Waddington we bypass Clitheroe and pass through Great Mitton on our way back to Whalley. If we didn't make a stop at the cafe at Waddington, there is a nice one at Whalley Abbey. From Whalley, it is a short climb back up to the picnic centre.

The route is about 90 km (56 miles) in length and there is about 1,500 m (5,000 ft) of climbing, some of it fairly steep. I think it is fair to say that you'd have to be reasonably fit to enjoy this route, so it probably wouldn't suit a complete novice, however it is intended to be a social ride so we will probably take about 5 hrs 30 mins - 6 hrs including time for stops. Those who want to can attack the hills as long as they wait at the summits - I will plod up them at my own pace :wink:!

Map of route

bowland_loop_route.jpg

Profile of route

bowland_loop_profile.jpg

PS I will be riding to the start and back again so if anybody fancies doing more than just the Bowland loop, you could join me for the extra bits between Mytholmroyd and Whalley which would add about 73 km (45 miles) to the distance and potentially quite a bit of extra climbing if we fancied it on the day.

Comments

• ColinJ
    edited August 2008
    [I'll maintain the latest information on the ride here in this post]

Those who who did the 20th July ride:
    • ColinJ
    • longers (CycleChat)
    • Alun (CycleChat)
    • Frustruck (CycleChat)
    • andy_wrx

Rerun for those who can't make the July date (or who enjoy it so much that they fancy doing it again!):

Yes please (17th August):
    • ColinJ
    • nasahapley
    • ASC1951 (CycleChat)
    • andyfromotley (CycleChat)
    • davelakers
    • Blonde
    • mrushton
    • Dan777
    Maybe (17th August):
    • Popette
    • dan_bo (CycleChat)
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    What a lovely route indeed - brings back memories of riding there, but sadly can`t make it. Those who can enjoy! it`s classic country
  • ColinJ
    edited June 2008
    There are people on CycleChat who would like to do the ride, but who can't make the July date. I'm quite happy to do the ride again in August if that would be better for some of you?

PS We've settled on 17th August for the rerun.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Sounds great - would love to do it if I'm fit by then. I've got something on every weekend in August though so probably couldn't do it anyway.
    I'll keep an eye on your thread Colin and if I'm well and get a pass to squeeze a ride in, I may just come along. Would be great.
  • ColinJ
    popette wrote:
    Sounds great - would love to do it if I'm fit by then. I've got something on every weekend in August though so probably couldn't do it anyway.
    I'll keep an eye on your thread Colin and if I'm well and get a pass to squeeze a ride in, I may just come along. Would be great.
    Popette - I'd got a bit behind on reading my C+ mags but someone pointed out to me yesterday that you are one of the riders in the regular C+ team feature. I've just read the latest article and discovered that you've had a heart problem - I hope that you are making a good recovery? If you are well enough to come on the FoB ride, you'd be very welcome. I certainly won't be going uphill very quickly since I currently weigh about 98 kg (well above my weight when fit.) so if you need to take it very easy you'd have company!

It was a bit of a surprise to find out that you are not actually green :wink: !
  • nasahapley
    nasahapley Posts: 717
    ColinJ wrote:
    There are people on CycleChat who would like to do the ride, but who can't make the July date. I'm quite happy to do the ride again in August if that would be better for some of you?

I'm free on 3 Sundays in August - the 10th, 17th and 24th. Any preferences?

If there's a re-run on the 17th or 24th of August I'm in (can't do the 10th though). I've wanted to explore that area for a while, and to do it with other forumites would be ideal!
  • ColinJ
    nasahapley wrote:
    ColinJ wrote:

I'm free on 3 Sundays in August - the 10th, 17th and 24th. Any preferences?

If there's a re-run on the 17th or 24th of August I'm in (can't do the 10th though). I've wanted to explore that area for a while, and to do it with other forumites would be ideal!
    Looks like the 17th then since someone on CycleChat can't make the 24th.
  • Colin, I'm a possible for 20 July - will have to let you know for sure a bit nearer the time.

Andrew
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Colin you could put me down as a possible for one or other of the rides. It's all just a bit hectic at that time of the year, but it would be good to catch up with you on one of them!
  • ColinJ
    Hi Andrew & Nick.

It would be nice to see you both again. I'll add your names to the 'maybe' list for July 20th. If you don't make that one, there's always August 17th.

Colin.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Put me down as a 'maybe' for the 20th July as well, Col

I have a 5 mile running race on 19th July, which might shatter my legs for it...
    :roll: :oops: (excuses already ?) :roll: :oops:

But no choice - the August date is our club 10K, so I can't make that, instead I'll be more than a bit on the busy-and-harrassed side that day...
  • ColinJ
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Put me down as a 'maybe' for the 20th July as well, Col

I have a 5 mile running race on 19th July, which might shatter my legs for it...
    :roll: :oops: (excuses already ?) :roll: :oops:

But no choice - the August date is our club 10K, so I can't make that, instead I'll be more than a bit on the busy-and-harrassed side that day...
    Will do Andy. I'll need company at the back anyway :wink: !
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Im up for either day. Its my usual riding area which I enjoy immensely. Have you considered adding in Birdy Brow as a part of the route? A brutal climb!!
  • ColinJ
    davelakers wrote:
    Im up for either day. Its my usual riding area which I enjoy immensely. Have you considered adding in Birdy Brow as a part of the route? A brutal climb!!
    Hi Dave.

If you don't mind, I'll put you down for the second ride then to even the numbers up a bit. Mind you, there's nothing to stop you doing both rides :wink: !

I don't think that I've ever gone up Birdy Brow but it does look pretty tough on my map. We could always keep it as an optional extra after Waddington? Even harder would be to go back round the other side of Longridge Fell through Walker Fold and then climb back over Jeffrey Hill!
  • davelakers
    The other side of Jeffrey is tough, but not a patch on Birdy IMO. The steep part from the back end of Jeffrey is about 25% but thankfully fairly short. I think Birdy is tougher because of its length and steepness, around 17%!!
  • ColinJ
    davelakers wrote:
    The other side of Jeffrey is tough, but not a patch on Birdy IMO. The steep part from the back end of Jeffrey is about 25% but thankfully fairly short. I think Birdy is tougher because of its length and steepness, around 17%!!
    That sounds about the same as the Trough of Bowland from the Dunsop Bridge side. We will be tackling that from the opposite direction which is easier.

I might nip out to Longridge Fell before the forum ride and do Birdy Brow and Jeffrey Hill just to see what they are like.
  • ColinJ
    I've just added another name to the Maybe list (bonj).

I hope we get good weather for the ride - we've had quite a lot of rain here the past few days.
  • andy_wrx
    ColinJ wrote:

I hope we get good weather for the ride - we've had quite a lot of rain here the past few days.

One of those two comments might be enough to put-off some people from coming Col - I just won't say which :lol:
  • ColinJ
    andy_wrx wrote:
    ColinJ wrote:

One of those two comments might be enough to put-off some people from coming Col - I just won't say which :lol:
    I bought an Arione saddle in perfect condition off him for £35 including p&p so he's in my good books. Also... aren't you curious? Or were you talking about the weather :wink: ?
  • andy_wrx
    yes very, and of course I was :lol:
  • ColinJ
    I've just added a few more 'maybes' off CycleChat. If at least half the maybes turn up, we should have a nice size group.
  • ColinJ
    Any 'Maybes' made a firm decision yet? You can always just turn up unannounced on the day but if you plan to do that, make sure you get to the picnic centre well before 10:00 am because we will set off then if all the 'Definites' are ready.

Is anyone planning to join me for the extra bits between Mytholmroyd and Whalley?
  • Colin im usually going to whalley around 8.30 to 9.30 from Rossendale, may well see along route.Could possibly do some of your ride, before heading over to ingleton.
    ding dang do
  • ColinJ
    Colin im usually going to whalley around 8.30 to 9.30 from Rossendale, may well see along route.Could possibly do some of your ride, before heading over to ingleton.
    You'd be welcome to join us for a while, but don't forget that we will be taking it very steady!

I'll be riding along the A646 about the time you mentioned, probably getting to the Manchester Road traffic lights at about 09:10. I'll take the A671 through Padiham to the start at Spring Wood above Whalley. You could either watch out for me on the way, or meet us at the picnic centre about 09:45.
  • ColinJ
    Hmmm - the only people (apart from me) definitely doing the ride on Sunday are CycleChatters. Can't anyone in the 'Maybe' list commit to giving me some BikeRadar love :wink: ?

The forecast is looking okay (mild and breezy) so you shouldn't get wet and won't get frazzled either.
  • andy_wrx
    How do I put this without trying to match your "giving me some BikeRadar love" innuendo ?

- I intend to come...err no, that won't do

- I have a a foot in both camps...meaning BR & CC, but that won't do either.

I'm running a 5mile race on Saturday, but assuming that doesn't completely wreck my legs and it's not p*ssing-down/blowing a gale, I'll be there.
    - after all, you have organised it to start at a civilised 10am and on a Sunday this time !
  • ColinJ
    andy_wrx wrote:
    How do I put this without trying to match your "giving me some BikeRadar love" innuendo ?

- I intend to come...err no, that won't do

- I have a a foot in both camps...meaning BR & CC, but that won't do either.

I'm running a 5mile race on Saturday, but assuming that doesn't completely wreck my legs and it's not p*ssing-down/blowing a gale, I'll be there.
    - after all, you have organised it to start at a civilised 10am and on a Sunday this time !
    Ah, good - it'd be nice to see you again Andy. Your legs won't be any more wrecked than mine, but in my case it'll be due to lack of exercise rather than too much!

I've chosen a 'civilised' time because I have to set off at a less civilised time from Hebden Bridge and I don't want to rush. My theory is that if I do my extra 45 miles there-and-back slowly enough they won't really count and it will be more like doing a metric century than an imperial one. I'll have to see if that works out in practice... :wink:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hi Colin,
    I'm afraid I won't be able to make it - I've come down with a summer cold and I'm only up to 20 mins on the turbo at the moment.
    Sorry I will miss you this time but I may make the next one.
    I hope it goes well
    xxxx
  • ColinJ
    popette wrote:
    hi Colin,
    I'm afraid I won't be able to make it - I've come down with a summer cold and I'm only up to 20 mins on the turbo at the moment.
    Sorry I will miss you this time but I may make the next one.
    I hope it goes well
    xxxx
    Okay - I'll shift you to the August list.

Get well soon!
  • davelakers
    ColinJ wrote:
    Okay - I'll shift you to the August list.

Get well soon!

Colin,

Can you please shift me to the August list, as a surprise party for my father (and a surprise to me) has put the kybosh on this weekend!!