Shimano on Colnagos - Is it fair?

Comments

• Jashin
    Jashin Posts: 164
    Makes more sense to me to have the left hand lever for the front brake anyway - left hand is controllng brakes and mech at the front of the bike, right hand the rear.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    celbianchi wrote:
    I take it all this gushing about Italian bikes and groupsets means that all of you who are (in some cases a bit tongue in cheek I am sure) so set in your ways ensure for the full Italian experience you have the front brake on the left hand shifter and the back on the right.

For cyclo-cross, yes - stops the front wheel rolling about when carrying the bike on my shoulder.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    phips wrote:

Yup. I bought a C40 some years ago, and despite loving the look of Campag and feeling that it was sacrilege to stick Shimano on it, I still did. Every time I test ride Campag and try to get on with those shifters, I can't. That stupid thumb shifter is in totally the wrong position for my hands, so Shimano it is.

I still feel dirty - but comfortable ;)

You do realise that by doing that you made the baby Jesus cry... I hope you can live with yourself!!
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    This thread is useless without pictures.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • beancounter
    beancounter Posts: 369
    phips wrote:
    This thread is useless without pictures.

bc

You want one of me looking dirty? :shock:

Not really, but thanks.

I meant the Colnago's.

bc
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • back in the 1980's before STI's then Colnagos = Campag with hidden spider arms on their chainsets, cobalto brakes,etc. Yummy yummy. 8)
    However with Mapei and the C40's, Lampre/Fondriest in 1993 and the first C40 and then Rominger with Clas, and also Ferretti's Arisotea teams of Argentin, Sorenson and Riis all with Shimano on their Colnagos - it all made it ok to lust after Colnagos AND SHimano at the same time.

Now, Treks and Campag - utterly utterly wrong :evil:
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    It's only STUFF you know. Never could see the point of S v C kerfuffle. Especially as both were on the other side in WW2.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    phips wrote:
    Now, Treks and Campag - utterly utterly wrong :evil:

"Mutton dressed as lamb"? :lol:

Good grief you're telling me, hideous combination. :roll:
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    Did we go slightly off topic?! :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    meagain wrote:
    It's only STUFF you know. Never could see the point of S v C kerfuffle. Especially as both were on the other side in WW2.

I though the Italians didn't know what side they were on?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    meagain wrote:

I though the Italians didn't know what side they were on?

The winning one, at any given time
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Most of the big brands are overpriced IMO, not just Colnago, I don't think I'll spend £2500 on a frame unless I was rolling in money, with plenty of good frames available under the £1000 mark if you look around.

Having broken 4 carbon frames at the £1400 mark in 3 years and one cross bike I thought long and hard about my next frame. Riding a Moots revealed a very flexy rear triangle so I ruled TI out. Couldn't ride an Extreme Power but the quality far surpassed anything else I've seen so I gave it a go. I have to say I'm not at all dissappointed. Stiff but not harsh. How do they do it?
    Paul
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Nope, Campag dude. If I had the kind of money to splurge on an Italian masterpiece, it would have to have Campag on it. Saw a Pinarello the other day with Shimano on it, didn't look right at all....
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

All this chat of "doesn't look right" is pure bike snobbery.

Here's the facts: when I first got into cycling and got my first decent bonus from work (y2k) I went out and bought a lovely nine-speed campag groupset. Why? Because of listening to opinions like the ones expressed above - on uk.rec.cycling, rec.bicycles.sport and other usenet groups.

Technically I didn't have a clue - I just went with the crowd. 8 years later I have learnt that I prefer shimano - I've got Ultegra or Dura Ace on all my geared bikes now. In my opinion it's better value for money and the ergonomics suit me far better.

I wish I'd done my research properly in the first place rather than listening to all the snobbery!

There's way too much "how good does my bike look?", "how do I clean my white bar tape?", "which £1500 wheelset should I get for my sportive?" nonsense on here just now. Maybe it's just the time of year...

Sorry for being grumpy - I think I'm turing into dennisn...

JUST RIDE YOUR F******G BIKE! ;-)

Cheers, Andy
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Did anyone see the Colnago model announced for 2009 on cyclingnews a couple of weeks ago?

Colnago's 2009 range will be joined by a new "aggressive, ultra-modern" carbon fiber CX-1 frameset. In spite of the misleading name, the CX-1 is designed exclusively for road use and will be the lightest the company offers with a claimed weight of 995g, about 100g below the current Extreme-C.

The CX-1 will be built in Asia with a monocoque front triangle and separately lugged and bonded B-Stay-like seat stay and chain stay assemblies. Main tubes bear a multi-sided polygonal profile while the stays are treated to a somewhat more traditional shape. In a first for Colnago, the CX-1 will also make use of a semi-integrated internal-cup headset

A couple of years ago Uncle Ernesto said he would never put a hidden headset on his frames as he wanted riders to have a choice of decent headsets...guess the fashion demands it now. It'll be interesting to see if this is throughout the range or just this frame.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id= ... X-1_Bianco

I think it's ok to put Shimano on an Asian Colnago...but not a real one!!!1 :lol::wink:
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • andrewgturnbull

That's what I'm talking about!
  • Rob Sallnow

JUST RIDE YOUR F******G BIKE!....and stop moaning about what other people want to hang on their bikes.

Cheers
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I wish I'd done my research properly in the first place rather than listening to all the snobbery!

Mine has my Record groupset from 2004 although 4 years down the line I treated myself to the new Record chainset, my cassette is Veloce because I find these far stronger and better wearing, my wheels are handbuilt 32 spokes Mavic Ceramic with Tune Hubs, my pedals are Ultegra SPD-SL, my front mech is Chorus(because I kept breaking Record ones), my chain is Dura Ace (Because they last longer and I haven't snapped one... yet) My bars and stem are Deda alloy, my seat post is a Bontrager taken off my Trek Top Fuel MTB.

All tried and tested parts that get a right hammering from me and do the job. Where's the snobbery?
    Paul
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    OK - what about SRAM?

I´ve got a CLX (yeah, I know it´s not a ´real´ Colnago, so the anti-shimano rules don't apply (they don't exist anyway, just in keeping with the 'spirit' of the thread)) and I just can´t get on with Ultegra STIs (they´ve gotten too big compared to previous designs). So, I´m thinking - keep the brakes and chainset (it´s FSA) and buy SRAM shifters and mechs, meaning I can still use my existing wheelset.

I can't decide if this would be unique and cool looking or a total mistake (an expensive mistake at that)...
  • andrewgturnbull
    pjm-84 wrote:

Mine has my Record groupset from 2004 although 4 years down the line I treated myself to the new Record chainset, my cassette is Veloce because I find these far stronger and better wearing, my wheels are handbuilt 32 spokes Mavic Ceramic with Tune Hubs, my pedals are Ultegra SPD-SL, my front mech is Chorus(because I kept breaking Record ones), my chain is Dura Ace (Because they last longer and I haven't snapped one... yet) My bars and stem are Deda alloy, my seat post is a Bontrager taken off my Trek Top Fuel MTB.

All tried and tested parts that get a right hammering from me and do the job. Where's the snobbery?

Hi there - if you're happy with your groupset, that's great. I have never criticised anyone else's choices, only my own! The snobbery is in the title of the post... in Rob's signature line and various other posts inbetween.

Cheers, Andy
  • Rob Sallnow

Hi there - if you're happy with your groupset, that's great. I have never criticised anyone else's choices, only my own! The snobbery is in the title of the post... in Rob's signature line and various other posts inbetween.

Cheers, Andy

Well that's a lie for a start as you then immediately criticise my choice.
  • andrewgturnbull
    Hi there.

I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone here (or further into one). Let me just say that I didn't critise your choicie, only your attitude! But I guess you'r'e free to express yourself however you wish.

Cheers, Andrew
  • cyclingvet
    cyclingvet Posts: 131
    Ash, you've asked the very question I was going to!

I also have a CLX fitted out with Shimano (I replaced the FSA crankset it came with because it was rubbish--left crank always creaking) and also have an Enigma Esprit that I built up a few months ago with a mix of SRAM Force and Rival which I bought from the US at a huge saving (at the time!) last autumn. I must say I really do prefer the SRAM - the double tap gear shifting works like a dream and and IMHO is superior to both Shimano and Campag.

I was discussing this thread with one of my cycling buddies I was out with this morning, who's attitude is "do what you like"--he has an american bike (Cannondale) with Campag, so what's the difference the other way round (Italian bike with american groupset)?
    I'm sure I saw a photo of one the pro team's Colnagos with SRAM Red on it recently.

I'm very tempted to fit out my Colnago CLX with SRAM and put the Shimano stuff on my winter bike.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Metal, plastic, carbon. That's all. Manufactured in similar ways. Bent in similar ways. Doing the same job.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240

JUST RIDE YOUR F******G BIKE!....and stop moaning about what other people want to hang on their bikes.

Cheers

Hmm... Pot, Kettle and Black....