Shimano on Colnagos - Is it fair?

Martingale
Martingale Posts: 71
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Got a brand-new Colnago Extreme-C. Looking at this nice Italian work of art, I feel I should not use Shimanos on it, but Campagnolo only.
I guess if Rabobank has already violated their Colnagos with Shimanos, then I should be forgiven.

Anybody in similar dilemma?
Martingale
"Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades " - Eddy Merckx

Comments

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Nope

As I put Campag on mine.
    Paul
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    The Colnago 'Extreme Power' won last years CW Race Bike of the Year equiped with Shimano. The next week Colnago placed a full page ad in CW as a celebration, but this one was wearing Campagnolo and looked all the better for it.
    Well, one can never be well dressed wearing shimano...
    Oh, and isn't 'Extreme Power' a rubbish name for a bike!
  • Martingale
    Yep...Extreme Power / Extreme-C, not sure what Mr. Ernesto Colnago had in mind when he chose these names...
    Martingale
  • Lysander
    Lysander Posts: 349
    Please don't put Shimano on your Colnago. Its just wrong putting Japanese stuff on an Italian bike it has to be Campag.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You can buy a DuraAce equipped bike for £1500 these days - so it doesn't exactly provide an air of exclusivity.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Whatever pro teams do on the Continent, beware that it is still illegal in England and Wales to kit an Italian frame out with Japanese equipment. There is a possible two year jail term under section 36(b) of the frame abuse act, brought in by the Callaghan government in 1978 under pressure from the unions.
  • James_London
    James_London Posts: 530
    It has to be Record!

Should be some going cheap when Campagnolo announce 11-speed, new levers and perhaps new Super Record for 2009.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Whatever pro teams do on the Continent, beware that it is still illegal in England and Wales to kit an Italian frame out with Japanese equipment. There is a possible two year jail term under section 36(b) of the frame abuse act, brought in by the Callaghan government in 1978 under pressure from the unions.
    :lol:
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    shimano on an italian frame-you should be shot!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    When I had my hand built Columbus SLX made (early 90's), I was saying to the frame builder that I'd thought about a Colnago, but as I wanted the then new Dura Ace 8 speed 7400 series, Jap stuff on a Colnago wouldn't wear.

Ended up with a more exclusive machine anyway. DA was way better than Record back then, if less pretty.

The new 7900 series has priced itself out now - got to be Record on anything....
  • shimano on a colnago?

no no no no no no no its wrong. just plain rude.

Gats
  • Martingale
    ok ok ok....you all convinced me....campag it is then...
    now, is there anybody there interested in bying a second hand dura ace group set?
    Martingale
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Colnago doesn't seem to think so. The Primavera is only available with a Shimano groupset...
  • James_London
    Comparing a Primavera with a (made in Cambiago) Extreme C is a little risky though... The EC, EP and C50 are pro machines to the core. And Ernesto would sell his grandmother so I don't think we should worry about the Primavera precedent too much...

It's a tough call and I could persuade myself either way. Rasmussen's EC with Dura Ace does look quite stylish:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/ ... en_colnago

Depending on the frame colour, full Record with Neutron Ultra or Shamal Ultra wheels are good complementary options in my book - as well as excellent wheels in their own right.

Speaking of which - what colour frame did you get, Martingale?!
  • Martingale
    It's called WX01, which is basically black with some green/white/red.
    Since you mentioned, I was looking into the Campag wheels, something similar to the zipp303. Campag does not have anything like it. I tend to mostly ride hilly sportives, and the Bora with 50mm rim and 1305 grams is ridiculous.
    Martingale
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I've got ultegra pedals on the wilier...............................but I birch myself before dawn every morning!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    a_n_t wrote:
    I've got ultegra pedals on the wilier...............................but I birch myself before dawn every morning!

I use Shimano pedals on Campag bikes, I quite like the Shimano pedals.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Excuse my ignorance, I'm new to the forum, but is this what they call Groupset Fascism? :wink:
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Opps I forgot about my SPD-SL on the Record Chainset. Will also birch myself
    Paul
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Campag on a Colnago - a perfect match!

Both of them of overpriced and trade on the sort of adulation that the posters in this thread have already perfectly expressed!

Cheers, Andy
  • redddraggon
    Campag on a Colnago - a perfect match!

Both of them of overpriced and trade on the sort of adulation that the posters in this thread have already perfectly expressed!

Colnagos are overpriced, but Campag isn't, I can normally find it for the same price as the equivalent Shimano (give or take for various components, Campag rear mechs and cassettes are more expensive but the shifters are far cheaper)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • James_London
    Martingale wrote:
    It's called WX01, which is basically black with some green/white/red.
    Since you mentioned, I was looking into the Campag wheels, something similar to the zipp303. Campag does not have anything like it. I tend to mostly ride hilly sportives, and the Bora with 50mm rim and 1305 grams is ridiculous.

Yep - WX01 is nice. In what way are Boras ridiculous?!

No idea what you weigh but I'm 80kg and 303s are way too flexy for my liking. Boras on the other hand are stiff as you like - to the point of being uncomfortable for long rides - but they're awesome wheels. If you like hills, perhaps Neutron Ultra or Hyperons (which are shallow but light). If you must get Zipps, 404 tubulars are likely preferable to 303 (or even 202s if you're going for out and out weight). Lots of other options but those are the ones that spring to mind.

Here's one nice example in WX01 anyway....
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... hp?t=42633
  • Martingale
    I find the Boras too heavy at 1305 gr, and too thick (50mm) if you also want to use it for hilly rides.
    I weight 62kg. The Zipp 404 are also too thick, and the 303 would ideal at 1106gr and 44mm. But again, would love to use Campag wheels, but they don't have anything between the Bora and Hyperon. No?
    Martingale
  • James_London
    Nothing from Campag between Boras and Hyperons in terms of rim depth and under 1305g.

If you're planning on using them for hilly sportives, Boras or Hyperons are both huge overkill but good fun. 303s, though flexy, may be fine at your weight (you can always take the stickers off for a more stealthy look) or you might consider Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimates (actual weight 1160g without stickers) which are 40mm rim depth. The CCUs are stiff and bulletproof. Poor man's Lightweights!

Lightweights are the ultimate climber's option but sounds like you won't be happy with 53mm rim depth. ;-)
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I take it all this gushing about Italian bikes and groupsets means that all of you who are (in some cases a bit tongue in cheek I am sure) so set in your ways ensure for the full Italian experience you have the front brake on the left hand shifter and the back on the right.

Thought not. :roll:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Funnily enough I have all my bikes with the brakes the 'right way round' i.e. the way that the cable run was intended, not with a stupid kink because of some ananchronistic rule invented by some civil servant in the depths of time. I'm interested to know why people feel that Colnagos are over-priced when some of the volume manufacturers have frames that match the price - I'd want to know why I'm being ripped-off paying £2.5k for a Specialized or Cervelo frame made in high volumes in China or Taiwan where the cost of materials, labour and overheads is significantly less than for a small-volume producer in Italy
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Martingale
    I have to agree with Monty.
    Martingale
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    tenor wrote:
    Oh, and isn't 'Extreme Power' a rubbish name for a bike!

Sounds worryingly similar to a well-known chavtastic motoring periodical....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • redddraggon
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I'd want to know why I'm being ripped-off paying £2.5k for a Specialized or Cervelo frame made in high volumes in China or Taiwan where the cost of materials, labour and overheads is significantly less than for a small-volume producer in Italy

Most of the big brands are overpriced IMO, not just Colnago, I don't think I'll spend £2500 on a frame unless I was rolling in money, with plenty of good frames available under the £1000 mark if you look around.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr