Your rants here.

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    DrHaggis wrote:
    By all means, check this one-button sequence:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo
    Forgot to add: I can't access YouTube at all in the office...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    Drug dealers are usually impatient.

:lol:

EDIT: he was wearing a hi-viz gilet, too! Maybe I should have said that I'd have seen him earlier if he was wearing a full hi-viz jacket.

Was he wearing a helmet?

NO! The double standards is truly appalling!!!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So, another close pass and squeeze from an articulated lorry on way home last night. I had to brake a lot to stop being squished.

Starts about 48 seconds in.

https://youtu.be/_EzyheDpDRw

Apologies for the low-res upload.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited July 2019
    elbowloh wrote:
    So, another close pass and squeeze from an articulated lorry on way home last night. I had to brake a lot to stop being squished.

Fark, that's an appaling place to overtake, and that needs actioning by the police. The fact they appeared to be tailgating you as the black car was approaching is dangerous enough without the squeeze.
    I also hate to be seen to be vicitimblaming, but I'd definitely be taking the centre of the lane through that section of road, much to the annoyance of people who think that cyclists should stick to the kerb...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • cjcp
    JFC, that's bad, bad driving.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:

Fark, that's an appaling place to overtake, and that needs auctioning by the police. The fact they appeared to be tailgating you as the black car was approaching is dangerous enough without the squeeze.
    I also hate to be seen to be vicitimblaming, but I'd definitely be taking the centre of the lane through that section of road, much to the annoyance of people who think that cyclists should stick to the kerb...
    There are sections along that road where I sometimes take primary (where the traffic islands are, but usually, as its a bit wider there (where the red section of road is between lanes) you don't normally get close passes.

The lorry had a PL plate, so don't think the police will get anywhere.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,076
    That's terrible driving. Absolutely terrible.

Looking at that section of the film as a work of art though, the shadow appearing first works as an excellent harbinger of the horror about to unfold.
  • elbowloh
    That's terrible driving. Absolutely terrible.

Looking at that section of the film as a work of art though, the shadow appearing first works as an excellent harbinger of the horror about to unfold.
    Indeed! I thought the same thing as i watched it back.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    OT rant ...

Land purchased for a massive green field development
    The land market continues to offer fantastic opportunities to acquire sites such as this, and is a good example of our ongoing strategy to secure sites in prime locations that are attractive to first-time and family buyers.
    Translation - we're going to build anywhere and everywhere we possibly can.
    We are delighted to have worked with Linden Homes on the acquisition of this key site in the sought-after location, which attracts buyers from a wide catchment due to the range of quality amenities, transport links and education provision available.
    Translation - people want to come here because it's a nice area - we're going to blat all over it with new builds until the demand goes down - partly because we've blatted our crap houses all over causing more traffic chaos than there currently is.

edit: I managed to traverse the city the other week - having to pass through to get to a completely different city to go and pick up a parcel - so not a journey I'd usually do - it was before peak rushhour time too. It took over 3/4hr to bypass the 2 mile bit of the bypass that was effectively blocked by sheer volume of traffic ... and they want to add more vehicles to that mess.
  • cjcp
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:

Fark, that's an appaling place to overtake, and that needs auctioning by the police. The fact they appeared to be tailgating you as the black car was approaching is dangerous enough without the squeeze.
    There are sections along that road where I sometimes take primary (where the traffic islands are, but usually, as its a bit wider there (where the red section of road is between lanes) you don't normally get close passes.

The lorry had a PL plate, so don't think the police will get anywhere.

They might do, as they'll be able to track the vehicle's movements through the ports.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    OT rant ...

Land purchased for a massive green field development
    The land market continues to offer fantastic opportunities to acquire sites such as this, and is a good example of our ongoing strategy to secure sites in prime locations that are attractive to first-time and family buyers.
    We are delighted to have worked with Linden Homes on the acquisition of this key site in the sought-after location, which attracts buyers from a wide catchment due to the range of quality amenities, transport links and education provision available.
    Translation - people want to come here because it's a nice area - we're going to blat all over it with new builds until the demand goes down - partly because we've blatted our crap houses all over causing more traffic chaos than there currently is.

edit: I managed to traverse the city the other week - having to pass through to get to a completely different city to go and pick up a parcel - so not a journey I'd usually do - it was before peak rushhour time too. It took over 3/4hr to bypass the 2 mile bit of the bypass that was effectively blocked by sheer volume of traffic ... and they want to add more vehicles to that mess.

Balls, where's that procurement? Always happy to add to objections! DM's open...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    Balls, where's that procurement? Always happy to add to objections! DM's open...
    Nah - too late -it's a done deal - they've been going on about that one for years.

I just can't see why they can't stop developments until they've resolved the transport issue. But apparently, they have to create the demand for the transport to resolve the transport issues - same with water & waste ...

It's a price we pay for an expanding population...
  • elbowloh
    and yet still there are loads of brownfield sites lying dormant and decaying in many towns and cities.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    elbowloh wrote:
    and yet still there are loads of brownfield sites lying dormant and decaying in many towns and cities.
    They're not desirable locations ....
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Nah - too late -it's a done deal - they've been going on about that one for years.

I just can't see why they can't stop developments until they've resolved the transport issue. But apparently, they have to create the demand for the transport to resolve the transport issues - same with water & waste ...

It's a price we pay for an expanding population...

Buying a site doesn't mean the same as getting permission to build on a site.
    Yes, the S106 and CIL funding process is bonkers.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Slowbike wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    They're not desirable locations ....

And have much higher decontamination/remediation costs.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,253
    Add 1 more to the list of close passes.

2 lanes going in my direction, I'm in the left, bin lorry overtakes me and pulls in front and begins to slow immediately. I assume he's stopping. Bit annoying but not dangerous, right lane is clear so I go to overtake.

As I pull alongside he flicks his right indicator on and pulls out into my lane. He obviously wasn't stopping he just wanted to be in the left lane, but hadn't noticed there was a car parked in it before he pulled in front of me. I have to go over the line into the oncoming lane to avoid him swinging into me and shout OY as his window is open.

He leans out and shouts FUK YOU! Charming.

I complete the overtake and go back into the left lane, approaching a roundabout now where I'm going left.

He's obviously incensed that I'm in front and overtakes as we're on the roundabout. There's an island on the exit so he has to come far enough left that I have to stop mid roundabout to not get squished.

Annoyingly he's off up a big hill now, and little enough traffic that I couldn't catch him up for a little chat.

Absolutely pathetic driving. This is Hotwells road, approaching the roundabout to go up Jacob's Wells road, for anyone in Bristol. The left lane along there is almost always clogged with parked cars so he should know better.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:

2 lanes going in my direction, I'm in the left, bin lorry overtakes me and pulls in front and begins to slow immediately. I assume he's stopping. Bit annoying but not dangerous, right lane is clear so I go to overtake.

As I pull alongside he flicks his right indicator on and pulls out into my lane. He obviously wasn't stopping he just wanted to be in the left lane, but hadn't noticed there was a car parked in it before he pulled in front of me. I have to go over the line into the oncoming lane to avoid him swinging into me and shout OY as his window is open.

He leans out and shouts FUK YOU! Charming.

I complete the overtake and go back into the left lane, approaching a roundabout now where I'm going left.

He's obviously incensed that I'm in front and overtakes as we're on the roundabout. There's an island on the exit so he has to come far enough left that I have to stop mid roundabout to not get squished.

Annoyingly he's off up a big hill now, and little enough traffic that I couldn't catch him up for a little chat.

Absolutely pathetic driving. This is Hotwells road, approaching the roundabout to go up Jacob's Wells road, for anyone in Bristol. The left lane along there is almost always clogged with parked cars so he should know better.

I know it well Pangolin, anyone who's a regular driver of that road would know that the LH lane inevitably has cars parked in it even during the notionally no parking rush hour. Did you catch who the bin lorry operator was. They're likely to be tracked so you could identify the particular wagon if you approach the company.
  • slowbike
    pangolin wrote:
    This is why I got a rear camera and run it on my commute ... it's ok "approaching the company" ... but f*ck that - they're messing with my life - the Police can deal with it.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Definitely noticed an increase in cuntish close passes this past week. Whether it's holiday season or what I don't know, but I'm fucking fed up with it.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sounds good, we need more houses.
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sounds good, build enough houses to meet demand and build them where they're wanted.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    pangolin wrote:

I'm always in the right hand lane after the lights/pub/bus stop cause of the parked cars. Luckily the traffic is light when I'm coming through there at 22:30 ish.

Been bit to buggery in the last few days so overdoing the tea tree oil on the bites so stink to high heaven but the stuff works.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,395
    Rant at myself. Somehow let my front wheel drop into a pothole around a drain yesterday. Straight over the bars. Pringled front wheel, bars more bendy than they should be and bar-tape wrecked. Knee, and elbow all scabby, shoulder aches like hell and just 2 weeks to the Ride London 100!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Tashman wrote:
    Rant at myself. Somehow let my front wheel drop into a pothole around a drain yesterday. Straight over the bars. Pringled front wheel, bars more bendy than they should be and bar-tape wrecked. Knee, and elbow all scabby, shoulder aches like hell and just 2 weeks to the Ride London 100!

Jesez, get well soon :( Don't forget to throw a bill to the council for the equipment :(
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    Tashman wrote:

That sucks, GWS!

You won't go as fast as you will be less aero, but maybe do Ride London on a hybrid/MTB, if your arms and shoulders need the extra comfort?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,395
    Tashman wrote:

That sucks, GWS!

You won't go as fast as you will be less aero, but maybe do Ride London on a hybrid/MTB, if your arms and shoulders need the extra comfort?
    Thanks, but I'll stick to the road bike, my hybrid is not up to the task for that kind of ride. Speed isn't my priority anyway. I just want to get around the course.
  • elbowloh
    OT. Why is it that no one can pronounce the word "clique" properly anymore?

It's "cleek", not "click".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    Filtering past long queues of almost stationary traffic today some twunt appeared to take umbridge at me filtering on the right, and turned their wheel right as if to shut off my path, about a cars length ahead of me

Nothing oncoming, so I check to move further out to the right, and promptly get the rear wheel trapped in the 2cm gap between tarmac lays, and break 4 spokes .

Twunt

Still, I walked passed them quicker than they drove.
  • slowbike
    Another 2 close passes on my way home ...

ffs people - 1.5 meters isn't much to ask - and if there's a solid white line that needs crossing and you don't think you can, then don't - and don't overtake either ....

A little respect for others using the road isn't too much to ask is it?!

Still, I get the last laugh, because it's all captured on camera and reported to the Police ...
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,113
    Slowbike wrote:
    Another 2 close passes on my way home ...

ffs people - 1.5 meters isn't much to ask - and if there's a solid white line that needs crossing and you don't think you can, then don't - and don't overtake either ....

A little respect for others using the road isn't too much to ask is it?!

Still, I get the last laugh, because it's all captured on camera and reported to the Police ...
    I rode in on my MTB this morning. Considered putting my camera on the bike to catch some gnarly MTB footage/my demise at the hands of a tree this evening but couldn't be bothered.
    On a perfectly straight, completely empty road, in a 20mph zone some tit squeezed past giving the centreline more space than he did me :| Regretting not having the camera for that one.