IACO

13»

Comments

• GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Does anybody have any information on how the law and insurance cover and requirements differ in other countries? I know the systems are different, but maybe there is something to learn from them?
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Does anybody have any information on how the law and insurance cover and requirements differ in other countries? I know the systems are different, but maybe there is something to learn from them?

How do the French make it work? The last sportive I did there was definitely a race (mass start, winner reported in local press, results published in time order) and superior to any British 'sportive' as a result (IMO). This seems to be the model to aspire to although I'm not hopeful that the necessary legal and insurance changes could ever be put in place.
  • MarcB
    MarcB Posts: 46
    IIRC cycle racing is regulated by the highways act, and the maximum size for a road race bunch is 60 riders, time trials 120 riders.

By being a non competitive event sportives, audax and even a big club run this legislation does not apply, hence the recent furore over highclere, introducing prizes makes it very difficult to argue that it isn't a race.

But then if you have a standard to aim for (Gold, Silver, Bronze) are you then racing to achieve a target time?
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    rjeffroy wrote:

How do the French make it work? The last sportive I did there was definitely a race (mass start, winner reported in local press, results published in time order) and superior to any British 'sportive' as a result (IMO). This seems to be the model to aspire to although I'm not hopeful that the necessary legal and insurance changes could ever be put in place.

Sure. But I wondered how this works in terms of French law and insurance requirements. Presumably they have to comply with them in the same way as we do.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Oooo-eee !

Who actually is Cyclosport ? I'm assuming it's actually just Mark Harding, although he keeps referring to 'we' as though there's a whole group of people
    - but then he varies his logins on the Cyclosport forum between usernames 'editor', 'dot org' and even 'Mark Harding' so perhaps he has multiple personalities...

He's also been on here under several different usernames, although you could usually tell from his style and grammar who it was...

You may be closer to the truth than you think. He would make a superb case study as a modern day Jekyll and Hyde. As nice as pie one moment and a raving lunatic the next. Anyone who has been on the receiving end of one of his telephone tirades will testify that he really does lose the plot with little in the way of provocation - just disagree with him or mention the BC and watch the smoke coming out of his ears.

The good work he did/does in providing a central hub for sportive riders blinds many to the fact that he has dictatorial tendencies and visions of grandeur way above his station. He has been telling anyone who would listen to him for over a year that the BC were out to get him and that he would win out - he is paranoid of this. Make no mistake, he really believes he is Mr Sportive. He needed a good "slap" and hopefully this episode has reminded him that the sport is a lot bigger than one man (even if that one man may have multiple personalities).

I hope the remaining IACO members follow the founding members and have nothing more to do with him.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    He needed a good "slap"

surprised he hasn't had one by now, trying to "interview" people struggling up mow cop on the cheshire cat! wtf!!!!!!??? :shock:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • a_n_t wrote:
    He needed a good "slap"

surprised he hasn't had one by now, trying to "interview" people struggling up mow cop on the cheshire cat! wtf!!!!!!??? :shock:

He who writes the rules and controls the forums also knows how to edit video - who's to say more than one person hasn't politely smiled at the camera while telling him to GTF!
    I'm surprised he hasn't fallen off his bike or caused someone else to do so while playing with his camera. In fact here's a question: forget what constitutes a race and ask yourself:

Does filming video whilst practicing one-handed cycling on the Queen's Highway contravene some hidden sub-clause of the Highway Code? Surely it equates to mobile phone usage/smoking/eating a burger/reading the paper while driving (not necessarily all at once). I think the government should be asked to clarify this matter before a tragedy occurs, petition your local MP now, lobby Brussels, write a letter to Cycling Weekly - demand answers before it is too late.

I wonder if his insurance company knows he is involved in such dangerous stunts - participating in while filming street racing sounds decidely shady to me. Whatever would the esteemed governing body, aka IAOC Ltd., think of such blatant rule-breaking. Could he be in line to discipline himself - I Mark the judge, the one who must be obeyed ,accuses you Mark the pitiful one of bringing our good name into disrepute, what say you, say me, eh? Speak Up, I can't hear you over the sound of my own voice . . .

Solitary confinement for you and be grateful the cell can hold four.