IACO

Sledder
Sledder Posts: 10
The undersigned founder members of IACO wish it to be known that they have no connection with Cyclosport UK and the so called company IACO Ltd , which does not appear to be registered at Companies House. Any actions by that 'company' or by IACO that are not personally endorsed by the aforesaid founder members should not be construed as valid or representing the opinions of the founder members. They furthermore wish it to be known that they unreservedly acknowledge BCF as the governing body of all cycling sport in the UK.

Issued this 9th day of June 2008 by the following founder members:

Peter Harrison - Northern Rock
Jim Henderson - Circuit of the Cotswolds
Phil Weaver - Autumn Epic
Jonnie Woodall - Gran Fondo Cymru

Comments

• Emblo
    Emblo Posts: 1
    That's nice.

Presume this is a reaction to the whole Highclere thing. So, now you've got the silly political games out of the way, care to comment on the real issue and let us know where you all stand on the question of racing in sportives?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Murkier and murkier - will we ever actually find out WTF is going on? I also notice that the "IACO Website" forum on Cyclosport has disappeared over the weekend.
    Emblo wrote:
    let us know where you all stand on the question of racing in sportives?
    See this thread from last week for BikeRadar forummers views:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12572373
  • Weird, innit!
    Looks like we have two IACOs! Maybe one of them should rename itelf the ICOA, just to make things clearer.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    People's Popular Front of Judea, anyone ?
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    I posted a copy of the first post in this thread on to the cyclosport forum. It was removed (without acknowlegement) within 2 minutes. Try it for yourself :)

Keith
  • You might not have wasted your time on http://www.sportivelinks.org.uk/ after all, parky53!!!!
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Reminds me of wrestling.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • FondoMan
    FondoMan Posts: 85
    Not directly related to Highclere.

More of an attempt to firmly distance ourselves from a political row that we want no part in, and have had no involvement in whatsoever. We are interested in organising and taking part in top quality cyclosportives, pure and simple. IACO was set up to assist others in organising events, not to regulate or sanction events, and certainly not to make a profit or promote any particular website.

We have withdrawn formally from IACO as it was taken in a direction over the weekend that we had no knowledge of and do not support. And we certainly do not wish to be seen as de facto directors of a Ltd company that we have no influence over - hence the rather formal tone of our joint statement.

Hopefully we can now get back to event organisation - like this afternoon's test ride of a stupendous new moorland section that I would dearly love to put into the Autumn Epic :-)

Phil.
    Autumn Epic and Devil Ride.

ps. I would have replied to the thread on Cyclosport, but have been blocked :-( Sad, as I have been a regular user and supporter of the site.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oooo-eee !

Looks like I've been banned too and removed, although I've not been told so, just can't get in and find my login no longer exists.
    I expect I've posted something on here or on CycleChat which Mark Harding found seditious so I've been banned from his playpen.

Who actually is Cyclosport ? I'm assuming it's actually just Mark Harding, although he keeps referring to 'we' as though there's a whole group of people
    - but then he varies his logins on the Cyclosport forum between usernames 'editor', 'dot org' and even 'Mark Harding' so perhaps he has multiple personalities...

He's also been on here under several different usernames, although you could usually tell from his style and grammar who it was...

He seems (seemed now, looking at the names at the top of this post) to have a favourite list of organisers whose events he publicised, and other organisers who faces didn't fit.

I've never actually met him but find his carryings-on extremely Orwellian or machiavellian
    - seems like he wants to run and organise the sportive scene his way, and that's the only way.

Worrying - I don't want sportives in the hands of someone unelected and unaccountable, trying to run things in their own commercial way, and intolerant of any dissent or other point of view.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    FondoMan wrote:

More of an attempt to firmly distance ourselves from a political row that we want no part in, and have had no involvement in whatsoever. We are interested in organising and taking part in top quality cyclosportives, pure and simple. IACO was set up to assist others in organising events, not to regulate or sanction events, and certainly not to make a profit or promote any particular website.

We have withdrawn formally from IACO as it was taken in a direction over the weekend that we had no knowledge of and do not support. And we certainly do not wish to be seen as de facto directors of a Ltd company that we have no influence over - hence the rather formal tone of our joint statement.

Hopefully we can now get back to event organisation - like this afternoon's test ride of a stupendous new moorland section that I would dearly love to put into the Autumn Epic :-)

Phil.

ps. I would have replied to the thread on Cyclosport, but have been blocked :-( Sad, as I have been a regular user and supporter of the site.

WTF is going on?....I remember a time on Cyclosport where I asked why there was no Sportive taking in the Devils Staircase...then Fondoman from Autmn Epic fame stepped forward to be counted and now were gonna have a super dooper sportif taking in this excellent area....

Now I've found out that most of the lads I know are getting blocked from entering the forum??? Ken Night for one? Now Phil Weaver...beforehand the BC Yorkshire lads who run the excellent WRC & Ryedale Rumble... Matt Payne / Bob Howden and Booboo...It really pains me to say it but it looks like some sort of dictatorship?..A real shame for sportives this is...but since sportives are getting more popular each year I reckon if you try and rock the boat now then all what will happen is you'll end up falling out the boat and the boat will cruise on regardless....
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    FondoMan wrote:

Phil.

WTF is going on?....I remember a time on Cyclosport where I asked why there was no Sportive taking in the Devils Staircase...then Fondoman from Autmn Epic fame stepped forward to be counted and now were gonna have a super dooper sportif taking in this excellent area....

Now I've found out that most of the lads I know are getting blocked from entering the forum??? Ken Night for one? Now Phil Weaver...beforehand the BC Yorkshire lads who run the excellent WRC & Ryedale Rumble... Matt Payne / Bob Howden and Booboo...It really pains me to say it but it looks like some sort of dictatorship?..A real shame for sportives this is...but since sportives are getting more popular each year I reckon if you try and rock the boat now then all what will happen is you'll end up falling out the boat and the boat will cruise on regardless....

I now find that I am also blocked from the Cyclosport forum presumably because I was one of the original members of IACO! It would concern me if it was about to impact upon my event but at the moment I have 1624 entries for this weekend and another 242 have tried to enter after I closed the entry module - my boat's not cruising at the moment - it's on full throttle!

Peter
    Northern Rock Cyclone
  • Anonymous
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    FondoMan wrote:

Phil.

I now find that I am also blocked from the Cyclosport forum presumably because I was one of the original members of IACO! It would concern me if it was about to impact upon my event but at the moment I have 1624 entries for this weekend and another 242 have tried to enter after I closed the entry module - my boat's not cruising at the moment - it's on full throttle!

Peter
    Northern Rock Cyclone

Yes, thats what I mean...sportives are on the move..I feel its a very crucial time for Cyclosport and if they are not very careful and open to working with all other parties in a more open way then sadly they could end up in a Dingy without a paddle...hope not but I do reckon that Mark & Co need to take stock at the moment...and I hope he's not now barred me from the site for saying this....I've only the best intentions for sportives in general and reckon that Cyclosport is a superb venue to eveolve them further...but it has to be working with all other parties and accepting different ruling bodies etc...
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:

Yes, thats what I mean...sportives are on the move..I feel its a very crucial time for Cyclosport and if they are not very careful and open to working with all other parties in a more open way then sadly they could end up in a Dingy without a paddle...hope not but I do reckon that Mark & Co need to take stock at the moment...and I hope he's not now barred me from the site for saying this....I've only the best intentions for sportives in general and reckon that Cyclosport is a superb venue to eveolve them further...but it has to be working with all other parties and accepting different ruling bodies etc...

I couldn't have put it better myself. I totally agree with all your points.As one of the earliest members of Cyclosport, I'm watching the current situation with great sadness.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Sledder wrote:
    The undersigned founder members of IACO wish it to be known that they have no connection with Cyclosport UK and the so called company IACO Ltd ,

splitters! :lol:

This just gets dafter by the day!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • I hate to say it, but at this rate, most of cyclosports contributors are going to be on thi site, and that includes the organisers, and if they're here I'm here!
    Mark
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    bronzie has pretty much summed it up on the glass houses thread

it's a shame that one person's hubris appears to be threatening threatening a great site - but until he clarifies the position i'll assume that that is the case
  • For as long as I can remember the self appointed editor of the Cyclosport (now IACO?) site has operated a unilateral censorship policy which has gone far beyond the moderation of abusive or salicious postings. This has been systematic and deliberate to the extent that references to postings on other threads that have themselves been removed, have been edited to remove the original reference! I've even had one thread censored for having the audacity to post some Cyclosport kit for sale in the 'sales' section!!
    The current mess is indeed very sad, as Mark has created and nurtured a tremendous resource, which is seemingly under threat. My advise to Mark (who I still regard as a friend) would be to continue the good work of the site, but allow an independent moderator(s) to control the forum and site content, and interface with the wider Cycling officialdom, including Sportive organisers.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Maybe he should rename the site www.thepeoplesrepublicofmarkharding.com and be done with it. :shock:

Viva El Presidente! Viva La Revolution!
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Is it just me or is the site down again?
  • pdstsp
    pdstsp Posts: 1,264
    Its just me - back up now
  • This situation has been very unfortunate to see developing. As fairly recent sign ups to the IACO, there does seem to be a lot of background going on that we're maybe not aware of, however it is clear that the issues raised around racing in Sportives and the nature and role of the IACO have been intrinsically linked in creating a very negative set of circumstances that need to find positive resolutions.

We, as Trail Break and Southern Sportive, have been running cycling events in different branches of the sport for a long time and have seen other event formats fail to fulfill their potential due to internal politics and mishandling. It would be a great shame to see cyclosportives fall into the same traps.

With this in mind, and as it appears to be the 'statement season', we have felt compelled to state our position with regard to these two issues.

Trail Break has a 15 year history in the cycle events market, staging over 600 events in that time, both in mountain biking and more recently the cyclosportive arena. In 2008, under the Southern Sportive banner, we are presenting a six event Sunday Sportive series and our third headline Southern Sportive event on the South Downs.

We oppose the introduction of race elements into cyclosportives, and have raised concerns over this practice with British Cycling on several occasions in the past two years. Two key reasons are:
    1. Organisation of a legal road cycle race requires conforming to a far tighter set of restrictions than for cyclosportives. In a year when legitimate road races are being cancelled due to lack of police support, we believe it is imperative for the good future of the cyclosportive format that they unequivocally distinguish themselves from races.
    2. Events are insured on the basis that they are cyclosportives rather than races. If organisers don't adhere to the conditions demanded by their insurers, their cover will be invalid.
    We believe strongly that where event organisers attempt to blur or cross this line to boost their events image, they place the future of all cyclosportives in this country at risk.

As such, we are highly critical of some of the elements introduced into the promotion of the Highclere Victor Ludorum event. We are in no way commenting on or criticising the quality of organisation of that event, only it's promotion as a competitive event. We welcome the spotlight that has now been placed on the issue and we feel this situation illustrates clearly how vital it is that British Cycling as cycling's' governing body and the insurer of this particular event, act to enforce their own rules and regulations from the outset for any events that they endorse; something they have fundamentally failed to do on this occasion. This will ensure clarity and consistency in the way events are represented.

As signed up members of the IACO, we have no interest in the creation of any rival governing body to BC, however we support the founding concept of the IACO as an independent association for cyclosportive event organisers which promotes a constructive direction and unified voice for its members. We will continue to support the IACO as long as it develops as a non constrictive, fully inclusive and politically independent body, run on a minimum interference basis for the best interests of the sport and with the full approval and consent of its members, and that can communicate effectively with British Cycling and other authorities for the benefit of UK cyclosportives as a whole.

We consider it very unfortunate that recent circumstances have apparently jeopardised the development of such a body and would like to call for all UK event organisers to work towards these aims.

Thanks for reading.
    Martin

trailbreak.co.uk
    southernsportive.com
  • Sledder
    The undersigned founder members of IACO regret that they must formally declare themselves to be no longer associated with IACO in any form, due to recent actions executed without consultation or agreement.

Any references to IACO on the website formerly known as Cyclosport UK are unauthorised and any statements issued by that organisation in the name of IACO have not been agreed or approved by the founder members of IACO.

We furthermore wish to advise that neither Cyclosport UK nor its proprietor Mark Harding are members of IACO, or ever have been. In so doing we applaud the hard work and dedication that Mark Harding has applied to the cyclosportive scene and the valuable resource that the Cyclosport UK website provided.

We continue to support the original aims and aspirations of IACO and will continue to promote them to the best of our ability.

Peter Harrison - Northern Rock
    Jim Henderson - Circuit of the Cotswolds
    Phil Weaver - Autumn Epic
    Jonnie Woodall - Gran Fondo Cymru
  • IACOORG
    IACOORG Posts: 1
    The IACO was established as an Independent group of organisers passionate about the developing Cyclosportive Scene.
    It is vital that an independent organisation is in place to ensure that the sport's future development is guided by existing organisers of Cyclosportives.

The recent 'Highclere' news item highlighted even more the need to have an influence on the development of Cyclosportives in the UK.

The IACO will be happy to work with other cycling bodies to ensure that the evolvement of Cyclosportivescontinues under the control of the Organisers.

It is sad that a number of the founding members of the IACO have chosen to resign as members; however there are 20+ members who support the IACO.
    New members are welcome, and your input will be most welcome.
    The IACO is in its infancy, but is evolving alongside Cyclosportives.

The Cyclosport Website is the only site which is dedicated to promoting Cyclosportives.
    It has recently been agreed that the IACO will manage the site.
    Mark Harding from now on will be providing technical support with full control being held by the members of the IACO.
    The site will list all sportives, and provide help and advice to organisers, including a list of services available to organisers.
    The site will be non-profit making; any income will be used to further the cause of the IACO and to cover administration costs.
  • ...told you it was the statement season... :roll: :wink:
    Martin

trailbreak.co.uk
    southernsportive.com
  • Anonymous
    I think what a lot of this all boils down to is that for a long time now the Cyclosport (now IACO) site has been controlling its site with an iron fist....members are getting systematically banned from using the site for merely asking questions or raising concerns...this simply cannot continue...do you think its justified to prohibit Phil Weaver and Peter Harrison from the site just because they withdrew themselves from the IACO? Because I assure all that from where I'm standing it looks like a 'your either with us or against us' regime?.....I've still never fully understood the shannanigans which started this political wrangle with the White Rose Classic a year ago? I've been informed its because its a BC backed event which have there own insurance and online entry system....but so what?...as long as its a well run and organised event then IACO should do all its very best to promote and back the event, regardless of whom its backed with... Now I did the Ryedale Rumble Reccy with BC Yorkshire in April...nicer lads you won't meet...and to me all they were interested in was creating the best sportif's they possibly could, one which will satisfy the sportifer and will allow cash generation which can be put to good use in Cycling Grass routes...and I know that BC Yorkshire wants to work with Cyclosport, not against it.

Want a opinion? If Cyclosport (IACO) puts down most barriers, and starts to work alongside ALL sportive organisers, offer all types of support, accept that some sportifs do not require certain levels of support, allows more free speech on the forum, only bans individuals for gross behaviours, then I firmly beleive it will be hugely successfull, if it continues in the same manner then its definitely curtains...its all about working with others...cyclings far too small a sport in this country as it is without 'support bodies' squabling with one another....no one will win out of all this...Cyclosport and the Event Organisers will ALL suffer unless a major rethink is done...

And beleive me it takes me to say all this, I've been a Cyclosport member for a time, and I've always contributed, I also really respect and appreciate the effort required for such a site but I do feel its time to be stood and counted and to share my fears for the site...all for the good of Cyclosport.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    EXACTLY like wot RichyBoy said.

I find the post from 'IACOORG' alarming.

Sledder declares who he is, a list of 4 names/organisers who he's speaking on behalf of.

SouthernSportive is Trailbreak

But 'IACOORG', who actually are you ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    So which one of these organisations is the People's Popular Front of Judea again? :roll:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I can see that the Highclere event was stepping a long way over the line. There are other events that are not so clear cut. Those are the ones whose future concerned me. If prizes are not awarded are we in the clear? The statements from British Cycling would seem to imply this.I think there could be much more use of the gold, silver and bronze categories. These could also be age related in order to give individuals something to strive for.
    In view of the IACO statement I am assuming that IACO is not still claiming to be the 'governing body' of sportives. I'm all for it being a body representing the interests of those organisers that choose to join it, but I'm always disturbed when a self appointed governing body claims to represent something for which they haven't been elected.
    I think some bridges need to be mended. A sign of good faith would be to reinstate some of the people who were ejected from the site because of disagreements with Mark. This should surely include the White Rose Classic organisers, particularly BooBoo, and other prominent long standing members who have recently fallen foul of a rather draconian censorship policy, which brooked no alternative views whether expressed on this or indeed other forums. I also think it's time to end the 'war' with British Cycling. Whether certain people like it or not, they really are the governing body of cycling in the UK
    This seems to be a fresh start for Cyclosport/IACO. I'm pleased that Mark will still be involved with the site. It is his baby after all.
    Mark and Cyclosport have been very important in developing the sportive scene. It would have been a tragedy if the recent near implosion had damaged all the good work that has been done.
    Here's to the future, and a more considered and democratic IACO/ Cyclosport
  • Sledder
    Worthy sentiments Nickwill, but try Googling Cyclosport and you will see why four of the founder members have resigned:

Cyclosport.org
    The Regulatory Body for UK Cyclosportives ... The MEGA is one the hardest sportives in the UK. It has two routes to suit more abilities. ...
    www.cyclosport.org/ - 32k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

When matters are taken out of our hands and operated on a personal agenda without consultation, it's time to abandon ship :(

Those of us with common interests in promoting quality events will no doubt continue to follow the original IACO code and seek to create a series for the benefit of charities and riders alike.

Jonnie Woodall
    Gran Fondo Cymru
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Hear, hear