intensity question

TheGreatGatsby
TheGreatGatsby Posts: 818
didn't want to hi-jack the starvation thread so am just posting up a quickie question here about ride intensity.

If when you're out on a ride your HR is very low but your perceived effort is pretty high which one do you take as the defining factor for the intensity of the ride? Would it be low intensity due to the low HR or high intensity due to the effort given to achieve this?

Gats

Comments

• Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    Not sure of the answer to your questions, but isn't an inability to raise your heart rate to normal levels one of the signs of overtraining?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Listen to body not your HRM!
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Agreed, especially now I'm older. I always go out with the intention of doing a ride at a certain level of intensity, but if I start feeling a bit out of form (which is different from the usual training pain), then I ease off a bit, and say do a tempo ride instead of a high intensity one. Training plans should be flexible enough to cope with this. You can always think about why this might be afterwards (too many beers, ... dehydration ...). But there's no point guttering yourself at the time.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Slight aside (but related)... When I started using my commuting rides as training rides (ie putting a bit more effort in) I found it quite easy to stay above 80% MHR, which is anywhere above 150 BPM for me.

But recently I've noticed that I have to put in more effort to get up to the same heart rate and even when I do get above it, I can drop down below it much quicker than before once I relax a tiny bit?

Is this normal?

And if so, is it a good thing or a bad thing?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Jamey wrote:
    Is this normal? And if so, is it a good thing or a bad thing?
    Yes - it's called getting fitter and it's a very good thing! :wink: