Getting fit but not so healthy

Barney 2
Barney 2 Posts: 68
When I was cycling in my youth I was always getting colds and infections, I have hade a long lay off and in this time I would perhaps get one cold or a bout of 'flu once a year but since I have been cycling again and particulary since I am now getting back to a higher level of fittnes I now seem to catch every cold that comes around.

I have been taking Echinacea regularly and eating plenty of fruit, vegatables and salads and have even reduced alcohol considerably. Can any one recomend how I can strengthen my imune system?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I seem to be in a similar position, at least this year. Normally I'd find my fitness meant I rarely caught a cold, but since January I seem to have had one chest, ear, sinus infection after another! :x Currently on antibiotics for a lingering chest / sinus infection.

I tried Echinacea as well for a while but found it made little difference. Currently I'm taking a daily dose of probiotics following doctor's advice, but again, it hasn't been the miracle cure I'd hoped.
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    There is a theory, that as you transition to a healthier lifestyle, your body can deal with things differently.

If you are unhealthy and unfit, then you might not get a cold. Why? Because your immune system is in overdrive, trying to deal with day to day stuff, not colds and bugs.

When you improve your diet and start exercising, your immune system can stop going all out for just day to day stuff. It can start to deal with bugs on a selective basis... you actually notice getting colds. But you should get to a point where you aren't getting many colds.

You can also go the other extreme. When you are training, and asking your body to deal with making physiological changes, and your immune system is busy cleaning up the rebuild. When you stop your training, again, your body finally gets a chance to deal with the bugs that have been running around.

Not to mention the fact that when you take a break from training, you probably start drinking a bit more than normal ;-)
  • Barney 2
    Barney 2 Posts: 68
    I will open that bottle of red tonight then! :D
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    I would recommend using First Defence (hand cleaner and nose spray). I've been using it since last September and (touch wood) have not had a single cold since.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I had a similar probelm. Started taking multivitamin - helped a bit . Started on Zinc,C & B vitamins - helped a lot. Don't go mad tho' and try and bump up levels with real food first perhaps. Increasing protein percentage can also be of help - too much carb & not enough protein reduces self repair ability of body somewhatt
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I use Solgar VM2000 and have been doing so since the days when I was a chef and worked 16hour shifts.
    cartoon.jpg