Cyclosport off line!

2»

Comments

• parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    Booboocp wrote:
    Keith, good luck with this mate - you've made my week!!

Thanks! I am getting an overwhelmingly positive response. I hope to have a reasonably full list soon(ish). The problem is that I have to do other things to earn a living :roll: so it will take a while for the site to fully develop. It needs people to spread the word by linking to it on forums, club websites etc.. and send in links!

Keith
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good man Parky - a list and links to the organisers is all we need - sportives aren't races and don't need a governing body and shouldn't be part of BC either imo.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • I dont know or care about the politics of Cyclosport, but as a central source of info, and as a newbie to sprotives, i found it a great help.
    Parky the listing site you have made is a good stopgap, i hope people can support you with your efforts. When it comes to web design etc i am a total dunce, so hats off to your efforts.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • parky53 wrote:
    My embryonic new Sportive website links website is now online at http://www.sportivelinks.org.uk/

Keith Parkinson

Yeah, good effort mate, at least there's a good list available again. I think I'll do a printout in case you get mixed up in all those politics! I'd still like to see the Editor of Cyclosport get over his strop and reinstate the site because it was a really comprehensive source of info.
  • parky53
    Nickwill wrote:

Thanks Nick
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon Cyclosport has did an incredible job at 'evolving' the whole Sportif scene. I personally just don't want a 'links' page(although I admire the fella for putting in such effort)...I love to see the sportifs getting big coverage...with a full dedicated website...having tons of info for the sportifer. I personally had a nice blog going on Cyclosport, and this year I had already written a detailed account of my experience of the Fred Whitton...I had lots of emails commeding me on my 'account' and telling me they were very glad they read it as it prepares them better. I was planning to do that for the coming Sportifs aswell...just to maybe help out other lads who were maybe thinking of entering the same sportif...

I also really enjoyed the Cycling Films that cyclosport shot...great to see the different areas and also helps the budding sportifer to help in choice of sportif..also the ranking and ratings service was another useful tool...it helped the organisers take actions to better there event for the future..

So I hope the hell its not gone for good...why would any sportif rider want such an informative site to shut up shop? Sportives have become boom business in the Uk over the last 5 or 6 years...they encourage many guys to take up cycling(which can only be good) and they have riviatlised the Road Bike in this country...whcih was near decimated by the MTB.

However, I do understand that Cyclosport has not dealt with certain issues in the most tactful way...and I know politics crept in which was a shame in my view...especially with the case of the White Rose Classic a few months ago...but we are not all school kids and all it takes is a bit of grown up common sense to prevail...cyclings so small and underrated this year that I reckon every organision promoting any cycling should be welcomed and applauded.

I reckon a whole lot of the problem with sportifs are..we don't know really how to class them....its like a race...but not a race...its about the best time...its not about winning...crazy man!
  • parky53
    Thank to all who have contacted me with details of links for sportivelinks.org.uk. I know this cannot replace cyclosport but I am trying to plug a gap. I now have getting on for 90 links to UK sportives. I am now inviting people to submit links to sportive related blogs (I've put Earthdreamer on to get it started). Richy - it only takes 5 minutes to start up a blog on blogspot - i love reading your accounts and they desrve a continuing platform.

If/when something like cyclosport re-emerges I will be happy to remove my effort and re-direct people to the new site. As a web designer I know how much it costs to put on a site like Mark's and I am struggling to see a business model to sustain such expense.

In the meantime, please keep those links coming and please spread the word about the new list.

Best wishes,

Keith
  • Richyboy, I'm glad to have come across you again. I was feeling bad that I never got around to responding to your kind offer of some routes north of the border. I know Scotland has a huge amount to offer and look forward to getting to see more in the years to come. I'll certainly let you know when I'm next heading up. Where are you based?

To Mark's great credit, he created a strong sense of community on cyclosport.org and I'm going to miss that. For me, much like fell running, the attraction of the Sportive scene is the social side, meeting up with friends - many of whom it seems, like our new hero Parky, are indeed fell runners.

What time are you hoping to start the WRC on Sunday? I'm instantly recognisable by my use of straight handlebars! I like to be different!!
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Like Richyboy, I think the absence of the cyclosport community is going to leave a massive gap. It really was a community and a great motivator.I just couldnt resist signing up when a new hilly event appeared in the North of England or Southern Scotland. The exchange of views and reports of various degrees of self inflicted suffering were also vey enjoyable. The political wrangling that came in to play in the last year was unfortunate, particularly with regard to the White Rose Classic. I can't help but feeling that there was a loss of perspective latterly, which probably led to its demise.

I think we will only realise what we had, now its gone.
  • bilbo.baggins
    bilbo.baggins Posts: 76
    edited June 2008
    Just tried cyclosport.org and it appears to be back. Well at least at the time of writing

See http://www.cyclosport.org/forum/reply.a ... 0&tid=2174

Not sure if this means anything but the admin who used to be 'dot org' has now become 'IACO Support'
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • parky53
    Just tried cyclosport.org and it appears to be back. Well at least at the time of writing

Good news! But it seems I have wasted my time putting the new list together. Never mind.

Keith
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764

... and the site is re-labelled as IACO, not cyclosport.org.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    .,..and Highclere Castle is back in the calendar

looking forward to the press release
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Is the IACO a not-for-profit organisation? Who is it owned by? The members?
    Rich
  • Just seen this:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Hig ... 57915.html

It seems that the boundary between a race and a sportive has been set by BC, no doubt in response to the cyclosport email on Weds.
  • seems that Highclere has had to make changes, and that the cyclosport site is back on line, with no retraction. Looks like Mark got it right
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    seems that Highclere has had to make changes, and that the cyclosport site is back on line, with no retraction. Looks like Mark got it right
    That's one way of looking at it.

From a public relations point of view though he's not exactly covered himself with roses has he? I refer you to the frankly ill-judged email that brought this sorry saga to the attention of most of us.
  • andyp wrote:
    seems that Highclere has had to make changes, and that the cyclosport site is back on line, with no retraction. Looks like Mark got it right
    That's one way of looking at it.

From a public relations point of view though he's not exactly covered himself with roses has he? I refer you to the frankly ill-judged email that brought this sorry saga to the attention of most of us.

Andy, would have to agree with you 100%, for me its the best site bar none for sportives, but Mark needs to be able to handle all issues with a more diplomatic approach.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com