Cyclosport off line!

nickwill
nickwill Posts: 2,735
I know this has been mentioned in other threads, but I thought it should have a thread of its own.
Cyclosport appears to have closed down. On trying to access the website the following message appears:
'System Maintenance

Due to increasing competition and legal reasons, we can no longer continue normal operation.

We would therefore refer you to the Independent Association of Cyclosportive Organisers.'

This would, on the face of it, be a reaction to recent events.
I know a lot of us have been unhappy about some of the things that have been happening on the site, but I can't help feeling that this could be a major loss. Cyclosport at its best was a fantastic resource and its a shame that things have happened in the last few months which have lost it some of its credibility. Mark, if you are reading this, please give some consideration to reviving the site.
If this is the end, then there will be a need for a site which has a comprehensive listing of events. Sadly, even Cyclosport hasn't been able to offer this in recent times.
Maybe 'Everyday Cycling' can step up to the plate and make its listings more comprehensive. Alternatively, perhaps there is a place for a comprehensive sportive database on either Bike Radar or a new site.

Comments

• reaper2
    reaper2 Posts: 55
    I agree. I love cyclosport.org and will be gutted if it stays off line. Hope mark gets the message that we want him back.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    reaper2 wrote:
    I agree. I love cyclosport.org and will be gutted if it stays off line. Hope mark gets the message that we want him back.
    I don't think many people on here want him back - they just want a single centralised site which shows all the sportives on offer in the UK.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    edited June 2008
    andyp wrote:
    reaper2 wrote:
    I don't think many people on here want him back - they just want a single centralised site which shows all the sportives on offer in the UK.
    I can see where you are coming from. Too many feathers have been ruffled in recent times, for who knows what reason. Nevertheless I think that in the beginning Cyclosport had a huge influence on the growth of sportives. If it is gone, and I hope it isn't, then maybe now is the time to move on. As you say, a central listings and contact site is vital. Ideally this needs to be totally independent, so we don't get the conflicts of interest which seem to have stirred things up recently.
  • Cyclosport has been the only good source of information for some time and it will be annoying if it has gone. The BC 'Everyday Cycling' website is an unholy mess by comparison.

The 'My Calendar' functionality was really useful - the best bit of cyclosport.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Nickwill wrote:
    Alternatively, perhaps this clears the way for British Cycling to take this on.
    They already have their own offering:
    www.everydaycycling.com
    but I think I'm right in saying that they'll only list your event on here if you use their event insurance.

Seems to me that BC came to party pretty late, but are prepared to stay until the lights go out. Why Mark has pulled the plug on Cyclosport is a mystery - surely if you have a competitor breathing down your neck, you don't do the one thing that is guaranteed to drive punters to the competitor site ie make your product unavailable. Nuts!
  • andyp wrote:

Why not? You sound very bitter about something? What's he done to upset you?

I'll really miss the Cyclosport site, it was a real mine of information for Sportive riders.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    Why not? You sound very bitter about something? What's he done to upset you?

I'll really miss the Cyclosport site, it was a real mine of information for Sportive riders.
    He's acted like a spoilt child. Again. (Or should that be you've acted like a spoilt child again Mark?)
  • I thought the site design was actually pretty dreadful but it was a useful resource and there were some good people on the forums. Shame about their attitude (cyclosport that is).
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Bronzie wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:
    Alternatively, perhaps this clears the way for British Cycling to take this on.
    They already have their own offering:
    www.everydaycycling.com
    but I think I'm right in saying that they'll only list your event on here if you use their event insurance.

All I want (and not sure its much to ask) is a list of sportives, where and when they are happening.

Is above true: so everydaycycling has a list but only events they insure?
    Is there another list out there?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    bahzob wrote:
    Is there another list out there?

I'm currently getting a rough version together of a new website. As soon as the new domain propagates I will add a link here. I got into Sportives through the cyclosport website and I am sorry to see it go so I am trying to do my bit to fill the void left. I'm producing a simple text list of links to sportive websites and all will be invited to send in links. Within a short time it should have most sportive websites listed in approximate chronological order.

If it doen't take off I've nothing to lose as I am doing this for the good of the sport with no ambitions to make money or win friends and influence people.

Keith Parkinson
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    bahzob wrote:
    Is above true: so everydaycycling has a list but only events they insure?
    Yes I was right - see step 3 on their "How to register an event"
    http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/v2/e ... vent2.aspx
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    edited June 2008
    I found it difficult to understand how Cyclosport could market itself as ‘not for profit’ whilst being peppered with adverts, selling its own line of clothing and peddling insurance for sportive organisers and various other services.

I did like the section where you could record the times of your events and was a bit annoyed when the Highclere event was removed because I’m riding that one.

I think Cyclosport’s mass email sent on Tuesday night went too far and could have been misinterpreted by some to mean that the event having been cancelled. This is probably why the site is down, it wouldn’t surprise me if the organisers of the Highclere event threatened legal action.
  • For crying out loud! Why can't cycling in Britain get anything right? We'd argue in an empty room and upset ourselves...............Surely it is not beyond the wit of man to sort this out?
  • kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    No idea what politics has been going on, but I found the site really good.
    Had all the information you needed, presented in a clear way.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Bronzie wrote:
    I think I'm right in saying that they'll only list your event on here if you use their event insurance.
    Note: Everyday Cycling will advertise events that are not registered with Everyday Cycling/British Cycling but those events will be clearly differentiated indicating that the event is not registered and as such does not qualify for the benefits listed above.
    Rich
  • parky53
    My embryonic new Sportive website links website is now online at http://www.sportivelinks.org.uk/

As you will see, there is only token content at the moment to give an idea of what it will become (one long list!) By keeping it like this it will be easy to maintain, quick to load and do what it says on the tine - i.e. link to sportive websites.

It will take a few days to get the list reasonably populated - give me time - I only registered the domain late this morning when I found out about Cyclosport's demise.

Feedback will be appreciated either through this forum or via the email link on the website.

Keith Parkinson
  • Blimey, that was quick. And I've already learnt of a new event - the Cumbrian Christmas Cracker!!!

Can you change the cassette picture at the bottom to an 11-23. :wink:
  • parky53
    Can you change the cassette picture at the bottom to an 11-23. :wink:

I'm about to fit one of those after failing on this year's Fred!
  • magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    edited June 2008
    parky53 wrote:
    My embryonic new Sportive website links website is now online at http://www.sportivelinks.org.uk/

As you will see, there is only token content at the moment to give an idea of what it will become (one long list!) By keeping it like this it will be easy to maintain, quick to load and do what it says on the tine - i.e. link to sportive websites.

It will take a few days to get the list reasonably populated - give me time - I only registered the domain late this morning when I found out about Cyclosport's demise.

Feedback will be appreciated either through this forum or via the email link on the website.

Keith Parkinson

Good work Keith! I've sent you some links for a few more.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Well done!
    One for the list is the Tour of the Black Mountains in July
    http://www.touroftheblackmountains.com/

Now here's a suggestion - how about a section for European sportives too?
  • parky53
    clanton wrote:
    Well done!

Can't get on to the Black Mountains website - where is the event HQ?

Europeans - I intend to put them into the list as well - in event order - mixed in with all the rest. Although the list will be long, it will only be a small file size because it is just text. A nice long list will give you all something to pick at on dark wet evenings.

Keith
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    clanton wrote:
    Well done!

You can get a pretty comprehensive listing for France on:

http://www.velo101.com/cyclosport/calendrier.asp.

... and:

http://www.cyclosport.com/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=7
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    This has most of the european ones, and some UK http://www.wielerplaza.nl/cyclo_kalender_2008.htm
  • parky53
    le patron wrote:
    This has most of the european ones, and some UK http://www.wielerplaza.nl/cyclo_kalender_2008.htm

I've put a link on to that - there's loads!

Keith
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    parky53 wrote:
    le patron wrote:

I've put a link on to that - there's loads!

Keith

It is good. Back in the day that was my bible for sportives, when the UK had about four.

Carnia Classic "Zoncolan" anyone ? 13th July. That would be hilarious to watch.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Glad there is a listing up - thanks Keith :) ; personally I found cyclosport site to be useful as a central list, and the sportives that I have done I`ve enjoyed and NOT done as a race at all - to me they are very challenging events :) .

It is a pity that having spent time and effort in building up My Calendar on the site it has disappeared and also the forums to which I have contributed, and valued the replies on, have also just gone :o:o
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    I'd be surprised if it's gone for good, a lot of work went into that site.
  • got to agree with Justin, and I'll be ticked off it's gone, I juat ride sportives and its all I need to look at to ride most events, most things in one place. Will be glad to see Mark get any issues sorted and teh site running.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • msb123
    msb123 Posts: 274
    it was a useful information resource but, on the basis of a run in i had with the site admin, he seemed to have delusions of grandeur and think that cyclosportives were all about him.

if this makes it easier to get in to some events cos people have to do some research i won't complain.
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Keith, good luck with this mate - you've made my week!!
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk