Using Coke as a sports drink?

2»

Comments

• Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    The trouble with coke is that it's loaded with gas... so you'll be burping all the way to the finish line...

...unless you have let it go flat. I suppose they could have a can open in the car but it could get a bit messy if its a bumpy road?
  • idaviesmoore
    idaviesmoore Posts: 557
    nolf wrote:
    One of those little cans of coke can be a good pick me up if you've bonked, or are really suffering.

:D You can't beat a can of coke after a bonk 8)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • People tend to suggest that taking in very sugary drinks (or foods) e.g. Coke, during exercise causes a sudden rush of energy followed by a drop in energy (this used to be know as rebound hypogylcaemia). However, in practice, and in virtually all research looking at drinking such solutions prior to exercise, or during exercise this does NOT occur. It's mainly a myth (although it does happen rarely). During exercise the glycaemic response is blunted and it happens even less, such that taking in very sugary drinks is fine (in terms of glycaemic response).

Additionally, most of the current literature points out that caffeine ingestion does NOT increase dieuresis, and even when it does performance is still increased over e.g. plain water or water-CHO trials. Dieuresis occurs less in those that are habitually use to caffeine.

Ric
    Professional cycle coaching for cyclists of all levels
    www.cyclecoach.com
  • NJK
    NJK Posts: 194
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    chrisw12 wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    caffeine in the coke will dehydrate you.... too much sugar its not going to be energy, just a sugar rush.....you wont be able to uptake as much water as you would from a sports drink due to caffeine and it being a different concentration to body fluids.

My write up HERE may help...

'caffeine in the coke will dehydrate '

Are you sure about that? I though that the jury was out on that one, in that some research says it does, some research says it doesn't.

If itwa true and since I only drink coke (yeah I know it's not good, but each to their own) wouldn't I be in a severly dehydrated state all of the time?

well caffeine is a diuretic, no 2 ways about it...it inhibits water uptake in the GI tract and will cause a higher rate of water loss through urine.
    i've just done a peice of work for my degree reviewing 30+ pieces of scientific literature involving caffeine in sport and tbh there is varying results.
    however, as a stimulant for explosive activities/maximal output in very fast durations ie during the phosphocreatine hydrolysis stages of energy production, it has been found that it is beneficial for co-ordination, and mental alertness etc etc.
    but for longer distances theg general outcome was that there was no difference/a negative performance in endurance athletes due to the lower water uptake and high rates of water loss.
    in my lectures and seminars this year on ergogenic aids (some from a top sports dietition that is looking after athletes for the 2012 olympics), the same facts were pointed out, but as you say there is a lots of varying evidence as caffeine is relitivly new in the world of ergogenic aids in sport.

Stever - water loss before exercise means you start in a lower hydrated state which could lower your performance.

Caffeine is a mild diuretic at best which when used in moderate doses probably won't make you pee for England.

I'm not sure which studies you looked at but a meta-analysis By Doherty & Smith (2004)showed pretty good results regarding caffeine ingestion and endurance performance.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    I wouldent use it-with all that sugar you'll go ridiculously fast for about a minute and then compleetly run out of energy :cry:
    mmm... has this actually happened to you or is it something you've heard. Along with the dehydration argument iits mostly hype. Perhaps if you're someone who has never or rarely ever drinks coke you'd get some adverse reaction. In my experience it works a treat. I've notice pro rider drinking it during races now too
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    got me here - do you mix the powder with water ?

maybe I should give Tommy Boonen a call I think he may have some experience to share on this thread
  • coulcher
    coulcher Posts: 95
    They just showed some riders sharing Cokes & Red Bull's on today's stage.

I had a couple of cans of Red Bull on the Marmotte and once you belch out the gas they give you a great kick.
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    I use Coke as a post ride recovery drink, but I'd have to feeling pretty knackered before I'd open a can.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I have to ask; WTF is full "fat" coke?

I presume you all mean full 'sugar' coke!

Not knowing the difference between fat and sugar kind of negates all the 'wisdom' being gushed forth!!!
  • penugent
    If any of you drink Innocent smoothies, try a mix of 1/3 smoothie 2/3 water in your bottle. A smoothie/water mix was suggested in the comic a year or two back and I have found it very useful as an energy drink. You get a fruit portion at the same time!!
  • Evoke
    Evoke Posts: 39
    What's the opinion on chocolate milk? Thought i read somewhere it was a good 'fuel'.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    penugent wrote:

Not knowing the difference between fat and sugar kind of negates all the 'wisdom' being gushed forth!!!

"Full-fat" is just a generic term for full sugar, I don't think anyone one here actually thinks it contains fat :roll:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    I've found about one third apple juice with water and a pinch of salt works well for me - better than water and cheaper than 'real' products. I'd guess this is the same as diluting a smoothie but I'd reckon is more about hydration than energy.

Chocolate milk is more about recovery I think - it has the right proteins and vitamins rather than just carbohydrates. I reckon it works nicely after a ride. More here : http:://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/health/webmd/main1342839.shtml
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    coulcher wrote:
    David Millar went through 18 (small) cans in the Giro a few weeks ago on the day he was looking good for a stage win before his chain snapped. That sounds like a strategy he knows works for him:
    So the moral of this tale is 'Go easy on the coke or your chain will snap!' :D
  • fatbee
    fatbee Posts: 581
    phil s wrote:
    sport's.... Jesus wept

Bles's you phil's

Any pers'on pos'ting who abuse's apostrophes' s'hould be banned from thi's mes'sageboard.
  • penugent
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    penugent wrote:

"Full-fat" is just a generic term for full sugar, I don't think anyone one here actually thinks it contains fat :roll:

Fair enough, I was wondering why I didn't fit in around here.

I must remember to start saying things that I don't mean and that amount to gibberish. :wink:

Seriously, fair enough.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    A swig of water over 70km is very bad advice, especially if it's hot If you don't sweat and go at 10km an hour I suppose you might get away with it...
    I use 50:50 cloudy apple juice and water with a bit of both 'salt' (sodium) and 'low-salt' (potassium) added. I use dextrose/vit c tabs as a boost. Two bottles do me over 50Km and I sweat like a b----d.
    Avoid the 'bonk' - it can be nasty when you're 25km out andd the wind is against you.... :D
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7525275.stm

article on caffeine and sports performance