Garmin 705 odd data

FAT_ROB
FAT_ROB Posts: 116
There is either a odd fault on my 705 edge (which till now has been working perfectly) or I have turned into a motorbike

Did a ride out of London to Chelmsford and back the other day a (just shy of 80 mile) a sort of undulating route (just about) somehow on three seperate occasions and on downhill sections my Garmin shows me as clocking 69 odd MPH!!!!

Is this possible, I'll be honest I didnt look at the display at these stages and knew I was shifting a bit in places but this seems a bit fast for me??/

Any ideas what would casue this???? Looking at the graphs I was at this speed for short periods of time, certainly not just instant blips as you can see the acceleration up to a bit of a plateau and then it drops away again???

I have no idea what sort of speed a road bike is capable of, up to this point i had only hit the 36 - 37 mph limmit down hill so should I phone the olympic selection committee????
Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)

Comments

• hazychris
    hazychris Posts: 202
    I'm guessing you're not using the speed and cadence sensor, and therefore you're getting the speed spikes when you get a momentary satellite correction and you "move" 10 yards in 1/10 of a second!

Doesn't seem to be a problem when using the speed and cadence sensor for me, but yesterday, in the woods (hence obscuring satellite view) I got some really impressive speeds up, which is definitely wrong as I was "pottering" with my 7-year-old son.

Last weekend with an easterly wind behind me, and on a perfectly smooth bit of road going into Linwood in the New Forest, I managed to break my personal speed record on the flat - 65 km/h or just a shade over 40 mph. Sadly when I dropped the power off, the wind was still pushing me along at best part of 30 km/h :oops:

Cheers,
    Chris
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    YEP Not using the cadance sensor as I can't get it to fit on my frame without pinging the wheels.

Doe's seem to be the logical reason for the speed spike this was my first thought but the graph on the cpu software shows an acceleration up to and then maintainance of the speed for a while (not long) before a gradual tail off.

I think I will stick to the suggestion I have been banding around work. Yes I am superman!!!!

either that or as I have read elsewhere. Fat is definatly fastest - Downhill!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)