How far is too far?

richiemtb
richiemtb Posts: 10
Hi

I'm just turned 14 and have been going out with my local club at weekends about 2 times a month (when not racing). We normally do about 40 - 60 miles at about 16 - 18 miles an hour. I (well my parents really) were wondering if this was too much at my age and if it was bad for my training.

Any help much appreciated.

Richie.

Comments

• If you can recover within a couple of days maximum it is unlikely to be too far. Perhaps shorter more intense efforts would give more returns if you are racing but these would be less fun and you might end up getting sick of cycling altogether. Club runs are a great tradition and well worth supporting and preserving. You can always do some quality work mid week and on a Saturday.

By the way, when I was your age the winter was my favourite time as this was the club run season and many of my best memories of cycling come from those times. Even better ever other weekend or so a few of us schoolboys used to go hostelling to the Dales and Yorkshire Moors- up to 100 miles a day on 61 inch fixed. Now them were the days!