The Stealth Pub Fixie is born!

robbarker
robbarker Posts: 1,367
edited May 2008 in The bottom bracket
A few years ago, a friend of mine, intent on emigrating, gave me his old early 90s time trial bike. It consisted of a Reynolds 531 Competition frame with the tightest angles and clearances this side of a track bike, 28 spoke wheels with wonderful Mavic sealed bearing hubs and not-so-wonderful Campagnolo Omega Hardox rims, bulhorns and more than it's share of rust spots. More to the point, it had cool forward-facing horizontal dropouts and it was free... FIXIE TIME!

A few hours, a couple of cans of primer and matt black spray paint, a fixed hub and sprocket, and an old stem, riser bars and brake lever scavenged from the parts bin later,

STEALTH PUB FIXIE APPEARS!!!

pubbike.jpg

It's an absolute blast to ride. It's currently running 52/22, which will change to 46/22 when my new chainring arrives (the pub is 1.5 miles up a long hill away!) and the tyres are so tight on the rims, which, interestingly, have no braking surfaces, that CXP33s are shortly to be laced on in place of the Campags.

Wicked!

Comments

• Revelator
    Revelator Posts: 6
    What a fantastic fixie, and one after my own heart!

Well, mine looks a bit more like it survived WWII without a respray after, but yours is clearly the model up.

A splendid effort, sir, one full of all kinds of win.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    robbarker wrote:
    A few years ago, a friend of mine, intent on emigrating, gave me his old early 90s time trial bike. It consisted of a Reynolds 531 Competition frame with the tightest angles and clearances this side of a track bike, 28 spoke wheels with wonderful Mavic sealed bearing hubs and not-so-wonderful Campagnolo Omega Hardox rims, bulhorns and more than it's share of rust spots. More to the point, it had cool forward-facing horizontal dropouts and it was free... FIXIE TIME!

A few hours, a couple of cans of primer and matt black spray paint, a fixed hub and sprocket, and an old stem, riser bars and brake lever scavenged from the parts bin later,

STEALTH PUB FIXIE APPEARS!!!

pubbike.jpg

It's an absolute blast to ride. It's currently running 52/22, which will change to 46/22 when my new chainring arrives (the pub is 1.5 miles up a long hill away!) and the tyres are so tight on the rims, which, interestingly, have no braking surfaces, that CXP33s are shortly to be laced on in place of the Campags.

Wicked!

good work, have fun on it!

Although if I lived 1.5 miles to the pub I think I'd move closer!!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A work colleague lives next door to his pub :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Nice, I'd do the same to my old 501 commuter if my route wasn't so hilly. Would make a great city bike though.
    It's all good.