Training advice for newbie

Dan_Boy
Dan_Boy Posts: 4
Hi Guys,

So, I've just spent a not inconsiderable amount of money on a nice new road bike as me and 3 mates are planning to undertake the behemoth of a ride that is Lands End to John O'Groats next summer.

Realising that i'm not the most slender of folk, I want to get straight into some riding to get my fitness levels up and get used to the bike yada yada.

Now currently i'm not one of the most physically active people in the world, there is definite room for improvement... I have a pretty physically demanding job and I play badminton twice a week.

I was just wondering what the people of the BR forum recommended I should be aiming for training wise in the short and long term?

Any help much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan.

Comments

• azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Just getting the miles in would probably be the best thing to start off with. And as your target is LEJOG, i'd just keep doing more miles.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Agree - just get out and ride for now - keep a log of your rides (distance / time / average) and try and increase / improve month on month through the summer.

The test will come when the winter kicks in again - if you can keep riding through the winter (even at reduced mileages) you'll be in a much better position this time next year in order to tackle the E2E.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    + 1 to the above.

You've got a year to go until LEJOG - at present there's not much point starting a structured training program that you're likely to abandon or water-down - just get out on the bike for some 10 milers to start with, then slowly build the mileage up over the summer until you can do 30 or 40 milers - that'll give you a flavour of what Road riding is like - you might want to alter things over the coming winter, then ramp up your training/mileage in March.

One item that might improve your enjoyment out on the road is a Bike computer - even just being able to see your current speed, Avg, distance etc can add a extra/fun dimension to your riding.
  • If you have some weight to lose then you should also focus as much on your diet as your bike. You will gain a lot from shedding some kilos when it comes to those hills in training! Try and create a calorie deficiency but take some advice because if you're training your calorie intake will be higher then that of a regular guy of your height etc. Make sure the calories are coming from a good source (mainly from the complex carbs and protein). Its not rocket science but combining the diet with the training and you will see better results faster.