Advice please

Mike Willcox
Mike Willcox Posts: 1,770
I am an unfit tosser who is going to ride from Timbuktu to the Shetland Islands tomorrow.
I regularly commute on my BMX to work which is about 100 yards. Can anyone suggest any training I should do. Should I taper or should I do some Sweet spot training. I've heard that improving my FTP is the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Pies - eat more of them to give you that extra power
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    Buy one of those clip on kits that makes you bike electric so you only pedal down hill :lol:
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    better go out and buy a power meter :wink:
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021

Don't forget this diet plan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnuBTPOaKY
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Mike Willcox
    edited May 2008
    lateralus wrote:

I've tried that power thing. Put a 1.5v duracell battery up each nostril. Waste of time, couldn't breathe properly.
  • Mike Willcox

Don't forget this diet plan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnuBTPOaKY

:D Hilarious
  • lateralus
    lateralus Posts: 309
    yeah, you need mains voltage to see any real results....
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    lateralus wrote:

I've tried that power thing. Put a 1.5v duracell battery up each nostril. Waste of time, couldn't breathe properly.

Tried the suppository version?
    Effective - so I'm told!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I regularly commute on my BMX to work which is about 100 yards.
    As ever, I advise you to increase you mileage by no more than 10% a week. So within 10 short weeks, you'll safely be able to ride your little wheeled pride and joy a grand total of 2593.74 yards without your legs falling off.

Also do some interval training - 2x20s are great - they always equal 40, no matter how many times I do them, even when I only use my toes to keep track of the count. Brilliant!

Then do a week of riding fixed before you travel down to Timbuktu for your big adventure - 45x16 on those little BMX tyres will be a challenge, but f*ck me you'll be able to spin like a washing machine on full pelt!

Good luck! :P
  • Mike Willcox
    Go on a skate board you lazy fooker 8)

I'm too fat (and ugly) at 150 kgs for a skateboard. I've been putting on weight in the last 7 days since I got hooked on scientific recovery drinks and gels. Last week I weighed 45 kgs and at my height of 7 ft 6 ins people at work were making comments about how skinny I looked so action was required. Now I've gone too far though.

Time is short, maybe I'll leave the Timbuktu ride 'til next year.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    I am an unfit tosser who is going to ride from Timbuktu to the Shetland Islands tomorrow.
    I regularly commute on my BMX to work which is about 100 yards. Can anyone suggest any training I should do. Should I taper or should I do some Sweet spot training. I've heard that improving my FTP is the way to go. Any advice would be appreciated.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Brilliant, best post in ages Mike!
  • campagman
    campagman Posts: 73
    I think that you want to go COMPACT. Get yourself a compact chainset for your ride. Go into cycle forums and ask lots of stupid dimwhit questions about them because you obviously can't be bothered with doing a simple search where you will find answers to all the questions you could ever have. Rant Rant sooo annoying!
    remember to keep pedalling in circles.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    campagman wrote:
    I think that you want to go COMPACT. Get yourself a compact chainset for your ride. Go into cycle forums and ask lots of stupid dimwhit questions about them because you obviously can't be bothered with doing a simple search where you will find answers to all the questions you could ever have. Rant Rant sooo annoying!

Surely a compact triple with a flip flop fixed hub would be a better answer. Train on the fixed wheel side as it's so much better for you then do the tour with gears.

and don't forget to find you max hr as this is so important.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For real street cred, don'f forget to remove the saddle and post, that boat-anchor of a seat clamp too - you don't want any weight to hinder your progress over the Atlas Mountains and into Marrakesh and it'll mean less chance of your baggies catching on the nose of the saddle...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Mike, I take it the annual "Roy keane lookalike Contest" is in the Shetland Islands tomorrow then?

it's in the bag mate.
  • Mike Willcox
    Infamous wrote:
    Mike, I take it the annual "Roy keane lookalike Contest" is in the Shetland Islands tomorrow then?

it's in the bag mate.

:D

I'm more David Beckham.

P.S. That's a picture of Norman Bates from Psycho. Not me pal.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    I see. he does look like roy keane!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Infamous wrote:
    I see. he does look like roy keane!
    Similar personality traits as well :lol: