non dairy recovery drinks

the doktor
the doktor Posts: 70
Any non-dairy alternative to the whey based protein recovery drinks?

I really like the torq stuff as it is natural etc, but don't want to be consuming that much dairy protein.

Comments

• woodknot
    woodknot Posts: 21
    I think SIS Rego is Soy based.
    Best check before purchasing though and I doubt the website will help as it's naff.
    try a local health food shop they might stock some.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    What sbout soya milk? They gave some of these out at the end of the Flanders sportif and together with a big portion of frites and some mayo, I felt well enough to ride back to the hotel!
  • scapaslow
    scapaslow Posts: 305
    Alpro Soya make a range of soya based milkshakes and yoghurts

http://www.alprosoya.co.uk/alpro/UK_en/product/bymoment/afternoon/15.html

Never tried the "milkshakes" but the "yoghurt" tastes good - you can get these in most of the big supermarkets. Not so sure about the availabilty of the "milkshakes" in supermarkets though -maybe health shops like Holland & Barrett?. I'll have a look next time i'm shopping.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Torq do a vegan friendly recovery but it seems very expensive: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360029572&N=Torq%20Vegan%20Recovery%20Package

But there are many soy based protein products out there.
  • reaper2
    reaper2 Posts: 55
    i use goats milk with chocolate milk shake or hot chocolate. If its a hot day I drink cider which does the trick.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    what about a simple pint of soya milk?
    I drink it all the time on cereals etc (though the Alpro Light )
  • don2wonder
    don2wonder Posts: 19
    You might like to have a look at myprotein.com, it has loads of supplements at reasonable prices so you can make your own formula specific to your needs (I don't have shares with them :) ). It says which products are vege and vegan friendly which is really helpful. They do several different non-dairy protein sources, I use the brown rice stuff. The bioavailability of soy protein is not supposed to be as good as others apparently. I saw that torque stuff has glutamine in it, which you can also get separately and MUCH cheaper!
    Might be worth having a look into branched chain amino acids which form part of the esential amino acid group. They can sometimes be used instead of a complete protein source and have the added advantage of being used directly for energy unlike other amino acids. They also stimulate muscle growth more, particularly leucine.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Amino Load?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers