Great Nottinghamshire Bike Ride

13»

Comments

• Miss Take
    Miss Take Posts: 7
    "Why do people feel the need to speak out about not wearing helmets , its a personal choice and should be left up to the individual to make the decision. Cycling is about freedom and the last thing we need is more rules and regulations. Do your own thing and let others do theres."

The same used to be said about seatbelts in cars!!
  • gb10
    gb10 Posts: 2
    Interesting that you say that . Whilst the seat belt law has undoubtedly saved the lives of many motorists , statistics prove that due to people feeling safer in there cars ie being strapped in, they drive faster , this has increased the deaths of pedestrians and cyclists to such an extent that the seat belt law made no marked improvement in saving lives in general.

They used to build school climbimg frames over concrete , you learnt very quickly not to fall off.
  • I had a fall in the ride a few years ago and hit my head so my helmet may have saved a few of the ambulance staff from having to come to my aid.

As an adult I choose to wear a helmet but there were a lot of children without helmets so I do think the organisers could do something about it. You can pick up a kids helmet for a fiver so even if they only wore it one day a year.
  • Miss Take
    I was knoced off my bike last year. Cracked ribs, cuts and bruises. Banged my head but no injuries because I wore a helmet. Choice is all very well when it comes to wearing head protection or not - for an adult. I do however think that children really should wear them. Just my personal opinion :)
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    r_alex wrote:
    Hi all,

and hi Ashley - Rob here. Thanks for the draft!

First sportive for me and I'm glad they cut it short as the wind near killed me ;) Outward route was nice and I enjoyed the back roads, but the main ones were pretty horrible, and I wouldn't ride them again by choice.

3 main issues I found were the initial off road section, some vague signage and not being informed about the change of route.

Current news from the councils website is:
    "Rider times are currently being downloaded from the timing chips. As soon as we have the data you will be able to access your time from our website."

which means somethings gone wrong, as the times are (should have been) recorded automatically by the system, so the data should have been almost live, or available within a few minutes.

That aside, I'm looking forward to doing some more in the future. :D

Hello Rob! Glad you enjoyed tit, bit miffed to see you beat me by 3 seconds overall, thats after sitting on me wheel for the last 20 miles!! :lol:

Has anyone else had a link for the photo's website sent to them, when I checked mine, it came up with about 10 photo's, worst part was 3 of them were of some fat woman, damed if I'm going to pay £17 for photo's of some fat bird, well not off that website anyway!! :wink:
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Stedman
    Stedman Posts: 377
    According to the on-line photos, number 41, the first rider who completed the ride in 03:37:57 did this on a heavy mountain bike complete with suspension, wide knobbly tyres and baggy clothing!
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Which website are the photos on?
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    http://www.marathon-photos.com/index.html

should send you there (hopefully!!)
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Miss Take
    Quote:
    Has anyone else had a link for the photo's website sent to them, when I checked mine, it came up with about 10 photo's, worst part was 3 of them were of some fat woman, damed if I'm going to pay £17 for photo's of some fat bird, well not off that website anyway!!

Knew my bum looked big in lycra!!!!!!!!! :D
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Miss Take

you finsihed about a minute in front of me (think i was next 100miler in after you). I can assure you your bum looks fine in Lycra :oops: :shock: :P
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Miss Take wrote:
    Quote:
    Has anyone else had a link for the photo's website sent to them, when I checked mine, it came up with about 10 photo's, worst part was 3 of them were of some fat woman, damed if I'm going to pay £17 for photo's of some fat bird, well not off that website anyway!!

Knew my bum looked big in lycra!!!!!!!!! :D

I've had a look for my photo also, I was number 26. The piture that comes up is some bloke on a recumbant bike.
    Typical crap route, poor marshalling, take an inordanate amout of time to get the pictures on line and when they do there wrong.
    I'm doing the Manchester 100 later in the year, let's hope it's better.
  • Miss Take
    Thanks to Ashley-R and alanmcn1 for making me laugh. :D
    Will ride behind you next time Alan!!!