Phil & Friends

dlrogers
dlrogers Posts: 22
How much training do you need to do for this event on average?
I'm pretty fit riding 2-3 times a week including a long weekend ride.
I've done rides such as Oxford to Cambridge and London to Brighton with almost no training in the past.
I realise there are going to be more serious hills to deal with but how hard is it going to be?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Full route is 150km with 2600m climbing. As a guide, I'd say if you can complete 80 mile solo rides over hilly terrain without feeling totally wasted at the end, you'll be fine for this.

What area do you live? Do your long weekends feature hilly or flat terrain?
  • dlrogers
    dlrogers Posts: 22
    Biggleswade unfortunately, not too far from you. To find any kind of bump I have to ride somewhere near Luton ish !
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    I live in Sheffield and did the event 2 years ago.

There are some very serious hills and winnats pass towards the end is a real challenge.

I would say best to try some long hilly rides beforehand to asses your fitness as I would not like to do it without having done hill training,particularly the full course.

Its a great day.
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    It is a fairly hard course - not as hard as some of the super tough sportive routes but not that far off. The Strines is a hard start then Holme Moss then Winnats with plenty of other hilly bits including stuff like Monsal Head. I reckon it's doable if you take your time over it. One thing is the route isn't signposted and whilst it's not the worst route to navigate if you don't anticipate riding it in a group make sure you take a map and try and familiarise yourself with the route beforehand as you don't want to be faffing about getting lost and stopping at every junction to see if this is the turn.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • dlrogers wrote:
    How much training do you need to do for this event on average?
    I'm pretty fit riding 2-3 times a week including a long weekend ride.
    I've done rides such as Oxford to Cambridge and London to Brighton with almost no training in the past.
    I realise there are going to be more serious hills to deal with but how hard is it going to be?

Why not do the shorter 100km route the first time just to see how you get on. Its exactly the same route as the longer one but fortunately misses out Winnats!
    As has already been mentioned, you will b tested BEFORE you get to Holme Moss, my pet hate being that hill just after a reservoir crossing followed by a wicked right hand wall of tarmac followed by a hairpin left (you know the one I mean guys) and then it goes onwards and upwards with that kick up at the end. I've seen loads walking up that!
    Its not really an audax and its not really a sportif. It is a great ride - tho having said that, i hate the 3rd hill after Glossop. :twisted: It just goes on and on and is quite busy with traffic. The big man himself passed me chatting happily away to his companions whilst i ground my way up in silent heavy breathing(!)

Don't expect signage, free food etc.. Do expect some good banter whilst you cling on to others back wheel.

And it has to be the oddest start to a ride. The first 5 minutes are seriously downhill and at speed. And then, without being warmed up at all, you have masses of climbing to get it all back again. I think its great - if a little odd. as usual I'll be on the 100km route determined this time NOT to go off too quickly at the start.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I had a triple on my bike when I did it last (2003 I think) - certainly recommend some very low gears for Winnatts - a few hundred metres of 25% after 70 miles certainly hurts the legs, but it is rideable with a triple or compact.

You can get some good hilly rides in from our area - I head for the Chilterns for my sportif training rides.

Why not build up to it with some shorter sportifs to see how you get on - the Trailbreak Sunday Sportives are good entry level events as they offer a choice of 3 routes from 40 to 80 miles. Next one is 8th June around Letcombe Regis, Oxfordshire I think.