How cyclists die!

2»

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    OK if people signal for potholes, cars edging out (not reversing by the way) or dead rats then I'll take the blame, although I've never signaled for small changes in direction and TBH I never will. If you were to signal for every change of direction on the roads in London you'd be flapping about like a mad man trying to fly.

BTW even if I hadn't moved it would still have been a dangerous overtake.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    In London, tailgating is not recommended - unless you want a snot shower - a technique couriers seem particularly adept at! In fairness, the way traffic works in tow, you should not tailgate - sudden braking is an all too frequent requirement for survival and tailgating is likely to result in a pile up!

Peter
  • OK if people signal for potholes, cars edging out (not reversing by the way) or dead rats then I'll take the blame, although I've never signaled for small changes in direction and TBH I never will. If you were to signal for every change of direction on the roads in London you'd be flapping about like a mad man trying to fly.

I dont think you should take the blame here, you were effectively filtering/overtaking stationary or slow traffic and if he was going faster and intending to overtake, then he was intending to overtake outside your overtaking. His maneuveur isnt legal in the eyes of the law, overtaking someone who is already overtaking is a big no no even if you arent in a motorised vehicle .

Also as he was behind, in the eyes of the law any failure to avoid a collision because you pulled around a manhole is his. Thats why you keep a safe distance, only overtake when safe to do so (definitely not a safe place in this story).

If a car hit either of you coming from a side junction however, chances are blame would be 50/50 between you and the car. All experience of that from riding the powered variety of bike, and friends who got caught out ;) Not saying I agree thats right, but thats the way blame tends to go in the courts.
    09 Rockhopper
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Cenobite wrote:
    OK if people signal for potholes, cars edging out (not reversing by the way) or dead rats then I'll take the blame, although I've never signaled for small changes in direction and TBH I never will. If you were to signal for every change of direction on the roads in London you'd be flapping about like a mad man trying to fly.

I dont think you should take the blame here, you were effectively filtering/overtaking stationary or slow traffic and if he was going faster and intending to overtake, then he was intending to overtake outside your overtaking. His maneuveur isnt legal in the eyes of the law, overtaking someone who is already overtaking is a big no no even if you arent in a motorised vehicle .
    I'm not sure what law you are referring to, but I'm not aware of any offence being committed by simply oveertaking someone who is already overtaking. To say otherwise would be saying most people in 3rd lane of motorway are committing an offence

The manner of his overtaking may reveal an offence, but not the fact of overtakking per se

Also as he was behind, in the eyes of the law any failure to avoid a collision because you pulled around a manhole is his. Thats why you keep a safe distance, only overtake when safe to do so (definitely not a safe place in this story).
    again this is not strictly correct If you change your lane or direction, you may well be to blame, not the person overtaking you

If a car hit either of you coming from a side junction however, chances are blame would be 50/50 between you and the car. All experience of that from riding the powered variety of bike, and friends who got caught out ;) Not saying I agree thats right, but thats the way blame tends to go in the courts.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    * yawn *