GT Avalanche 1.0 OR GT Avalanche 2.0?

2»

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Agreed, in my opinion full facers are reserved for freeriding, Dh, 4X and the like. For XC/trail riding they are simply too hot and cumbersome.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Skydipper
    Skydipper Posts: 26
    Ok thanks guys, I did try on a normal helmet yesterday that I fancied, so will probably go for that.
  • Skydipper
    Thinking ahead about going on the trails, is there anything essentials I should take with me. I'm thinking - puncture repair kit, small pump, water... What kind of small light tools would I need to fix a puncture?
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Posts: 314
    I carry a spare inner tube with me rather than p155ing about trying to fix a puncture (as I'm sure most people do??). But then also carry repair kit in case i'm unfortunate enough to get 2 punctures on one ride.
  • Skydipper
    dan1983 wrote:
    I carry a spare inner tube with me rather than p155ing about trying to fix a puncture (as I'm sure most people do??). But then also carry repair kit in case i'm unfortunate enough to get 2 punctures on one ride.

Cheers Dan. Never thought of doing that, can you tell I'm a newbie :D
  • dan1983
    It's ok, I still consider myself a newbie too. I thought it might be stating the obvious, but sometimes that's whats needed! The "experienced advice" is sometimes a bit more in depth (and over the newbies head!).

You'd obviously need a pump and some tyre levers. I don't really carry that much tbh but I'm sure other people do. I suppose it all depends on thetype of riding you're doing. I only take it easy (still trying to get fitter) so the chances of me totally wrecking my bike and needing to fix it are pretty slim.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Multitool is essential. Maybe a SRAM powerlink, obv a pump and always enough liquid and food (mobile phone good too)
  • Skydipper
    supersonic wrote:
    Multitool is essential. Maybe a SRAM powerlink, obv a pump and always enough liquid and food (mobile phone good too)

Well I've acted and ordered a few essentials. Got a pump, multitool, puncture repair kit, SRAM powerlink and tyre levers from CRC. Was surprised at how cheap some of the things were! Hopefully they will arrive by Wednesday when I will get my shiney new GT :D

I'm going to buy a helmet, backpack and gloves from a LBS so I can try them on first.

Just one question left really, I was going to buy a spare inner tube, but its quite confusing with all the different types. Any recommendations for which to get? My GT will have 26" by 2.1" tyres it says on the spec.

Thanks people.
  • supersonic
    Any tube really! Well, any 26 x 1.75/2.125 (standard MTB size). Make sure it has the valve type you want.
  • dan1983
    and on the valve thing, my bike has the skinny valves, so had to buy an adaptor thing for my pump. not sure what its called. anyone else able to advise in case he needs one of those too?
  • supersonic
    The thin valve is a presta valve, the fat one a Shrader valve. You can fit thin into the bigger drilled holes, but not vice versa!

Many pumps have switchable heads for both valve types. The adaptor you mention to convert presta into schrader can be got at Halfoeds in the Woods valve kit. It just screws on.
  • Skydipper
    Thanks Dan and Supersonic that's useful information. I will check what type of valve my tyres have and make sure my pump fits before I go out!

Only two days to go until I get my bike :D
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    @ skydipper, Avalanche 2 has the shrader valve mate.
  • Skydipper
    gk141054 wrote:
    @ skydipper, Avalanche 2 has the shrader valve mate.

Thanks mate! I've checked and the pump I've got fits shrader valves no problem :)
  • Skydipper
    Alrite guys! Been out on the GT today :D first ever ride on it! Went about 7 miles just to get the hang of it etc. Must say I absolutely LOVED IT!!! Can't wait to get on some trails. By the end I'll admit my backside was sore :) sure I'll get used to that.

Anyway, just like to say thanks to all those who helped me in this topic, much apprciated so thanks very much!