GT Avalanche 1.0 OR GT Avalanche 2.0?

Skydipper
Skydipper Posts: 26
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Sorry if this has been asked before!

I'm just getting into mountain biking and I'm looking to go to the 7stanes trails. Now I'm interested in the GT Avalanche series, however I don't know whether to go for the 1.0 or 2.0! Could any of you good people please help because I dont know whether the 1.0 is worth the extra £100. Obviously I'd rather have that extra money to buy accessories etc, but is there is a lot of difference in quality between the two?

Thanks for your help, glad I found this site! :)

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The 1.0 has a better components all round, as well as 27 speed which makes upgrades easier. If you can afford the extra then I would say go for it!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Skydipper
    Ah right I see. How does the 27 speed make it easier to upgrade? Asking because I'm obviously new to this stuff and want to get to understand as much as I can :)

Wish I could find an 07 model of the 1.0, nowhere seems to have them now. It would be cheaper if i could find one.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With 8spd (or 24 spd) if you want to upgrade say the cassette to something better, it would almost definitely be a 9spd one (as Shimano and SRAM don't make top end 8spd anymore). That means you'd have to upgrade shifters as well.
  • Skydipper
    OK thanks for that Supersonic.

I've narrowed it down now a bit, there are so many bikes out there.

Its between the GT Avalanche 1.0 for £500 or

GT Avalanche 2.0 £400 - http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDetai ... gtava22008

Specialized Hardrock Comp £300 - http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDetai ... ECHRCOMP08

or the Giant Terrago for £325 - http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDetai ... TERDISCS07

Scott Aspect 55 £329 - http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDetai ... pect552008

Now my question is this.. :) Is the GT Avalanche 2.0 (although lagging behind the 1.0)better than the specialized hardrock and the Giant terrago? I don't want to spend more money on the Avalanche if I could get one of the others that are the same quality or couldn't tell the difference when riding them. Thanks again for the advice, this site is becoming invaluable :)
  • supersonic
    Yes, it is better specced! 400 quid is now the magic price point - get quality features found much highrer up the range such as hydraulic disc brakes and damped suspension. 500 quid usually adds better forks even, and 9spd.

If you have the money, spend it! Usually lighter too.
  • Skydipper
    :D hehe thanks. Ah man I just can't decide now! Was looking through some other topics and seen the Carrera Fury! Right I'm going to have to make a decision, I want to get out on the trails!

Cheers for your help!
  • supersonic
    Go and see them in the flesh! If you can of course.
  • Skydipper
    I know, my local bike shops don't seem to stock the ones I like. They have Trek, cannondale and specialized. No GT, I'm sure if I could have a ride on a GT 1 and 2 I could make a decision.

Dyu reckon it would do me gettin the GT 2.0, I won't be going crazy on it, and it should be a quality bike for £400?.... Surely!? :?

:D
  • Skydipper
    I mean what I'm using it for a GT 2.0 would be more than enough and the extra for the GT 1.0 would just be a waste as it wouldn't be getting used to its full potential?
  • supersonic
    For 400 quid it is a great bike! Worth it for those extra features which the hardrock doesnt have.
  • Skydipper
    Right I think I'll go for the GT 2.0 Avalanche :) I'll use the 100 quid I'll save to get a helmet and other accessories.

Woohoo, going to go down to the bike hop and see if they can order one in!
  • zeropoint
    zeropoint Posts: 72
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, you can upgrade to the 2007 1.0 for an extra £50...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... m1b1s2p677

:)
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    My Local GT dealer couldn't get me an Avalanche 1, but I was lucky to have a friendly bike nut nearby who helped me to set my bike up properly, so ordered online.

Paid £450 delivered with 18 months 0% for an 08 Avalanche 1.0 disc (Sunset MTB). Only one thing - they come with crummy pedals.
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Just got my Avalanche 2.0 delivered 20 mins ago... wonder if anyone'll notice if I leave work at lunch and come back tomorrow?!!? :D
  • BlackSpur
    edited May 2008
    Skydipper wrote:
    Wish I could find an 07 model of the 1.0, nowhere seems to have them now. It would be cheaper if i could find one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17829
    Is the EU version so has V brakes instead, but these could always be upgraded later. Besides, decent Vs will provide plenty of stopping power for an XC bike
  • Skydipper
    gk141054 wrote:
    Just got my Avalanche 2.0 delivered 20 mins ago... wonder if anyone'll notice if I leave work at lunch and come back tomorrow?!!? :D

Wicked! :) If you don't mind let me know how it rides when you have given it a good test!
  • Skydipper
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Skydipper wrote:

Is the EU version so has V brakes instead, but these could always be upgraded later. Besides, decent Vs will provide plenty of stopping power for an XC bike

Wow that is cheap! I think they only have the large or X Large unfortunately. It will be too big for me, I have an inside leg of 31 inches.
  • Skydipper
    zeropoint wrote:
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, you can upgrade to the 2007 1.0 for an extra £50...

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... m1b1s2p677

:)

Haha thanks for that zeropint! :D
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Skydipper wrote:
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Skydipper wrote:

Wow that is cheap! I think they only have the large or X Large unfortunately. It will be too big for me, I have an inside leg of 31 inches.

My Avalanche 1.0 2008 is a large and fits me great at 6' tall with a 31 inch inside leg.
  • zeropoint
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Skydipper wrote:

Got me wondering whether the 08 1.0 Disc is worth the extra £170 now...

Ho hum, I'm in the same boat as yourself Sky. Off to test a Fury on Saturday. The Ava 1.0 Disc was a joy to ride, I might add.
  • gk141054
    Skydipper wrote:
    gk141054 wrote:

Wicked! :) If you don't mind let me know how it rides when you have given it a good test!

Just got back off my second ride on my new baby...

Soon as I got home from work yesterday it was there waiting for me. Quickly unpacked it and read the manual (amazed myself that I bothered, but wanted to treat my baby right... :D )

First night I took it up a gravel path / single track just by the house. On the instructions was a warning about how powerful the brakes would be "yeah yeah" I think... first pull on the brakes and shat meself, lesson learned :oops:

Found some dirt jumps that the local motorbike riding chavs had built and had a little blast over them, but nearly came a cropper so stopped and went home.

Tonight have been up to the castle, nearly killed me going up, but coming back down was worth it. Came a cropper on a very steep hill covered in long wet grass... was trying to go too slow and thats what made me slide. Luckily landed on my ass in long grass so soft landing. Got straight up, checked no one saw and then did it again faster... job done!

Zoomed back to the house in minutes in loads of single track and through woods / fields.

Really happy with the bike but still tweaking settings so can't copmment too much but on the whole, for £400 in my very inexperienced opinion, its a great bike.

Oh and I haven't ridden a bike for about 10 years so all day today i've been walking like John Wayne, hate to think what tomorrow will be like :roll:

G
  • BlackSpur
    gk141054 wrote:
    Oh and I haven't ridden a bike for about 10 years so all day today i've been walking like John Wayne, hate to think what tomorrow will be like :roll:

G

Get yourself some padded shorts lad!
  • BlackSpur
    gk141054 wrote:

G

Get yourself some padded shorts lad!
  • gk141054
    I have got some mate, didn't wear them yesterday but learned my lesson today.... :wink:
  • zeropoint
    Thanks for the report - glad you're enjoying your new bike!

Might not bother with discs this time around from what you've said.
  • gk141054
    zeropoint wrote:
    Thanks for the report - glad you're enjoying your new bike!

Might not bother with discs this time around from what you've said.

Don't let me put you off discs mate.

The stopping power is awesome, its just a shock the first time you use them because they are so good.

Now I am used to them, I love them.

Having said that, your brakes are only as good as the traction your tyres have.....
  • Skydipper
    Haha some really funny comments on here, thanks for the update on how it rides. can't wait to get my bike now.

I'm definately getting a GT Avalanche now, gonna go and order it tomorrow. Hopefully when it comes I'll have a ride and love it.

Going to look out for them disc brakes too :lol:

I will let you know how I come on.
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    I got the Avalanche 1.0 in mid feb. I love it. Have been out most weekends as I weekly board at school. I cycled home a couple of weekends aswell. I love it. The hydraulic disks are immense and have incredible control compared to v brakes. I have yet to make any upgrades. Was going to get spds but haven't had the time. I love it tho. I have been a bit unlucky with punctures mind. Had 5 within a week of having the bike and just got another last weekend. I really like the shifters on it as I have tried a few lower end bikes where they feel too stiff.
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • Skydipper
    Just ordered my GT Avalanche 2.0 :D

Will be delivered around thursday, can't wait! Next dilemma is whether to get a full face helmet or a normal one.
  • supersonic
    You don't need a full face helmet for an Avalanche, unless you plan to do stuff it aint designed for!!!