White Rose Classic

Comments

• JL
    JL Posts: 23
    Anyone not able to make it...I am happy to take your number and will cover the entry costs.

JL
    John
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Having done no endurance training since winter I'm not feeling that confident of a good time. But I'm a bit stronger and can put out more power for longer, and I've always been an ok climber, so hopefully I'll finish in a respectable time, unlike my riding budy who does 100km rides habitually :(

I'll keep an eye out for forumites, I'll be wearing a white jersey, black shorts, focus cayo and probably white overshoes.

If you see me wave hello! And good luck all those entering.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • What route are you doing Nolf? I'll be wearing my olc-school Panasonic jersey just incase we cross paths. Giz a shout if you see me.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Feel free to say hello

I'll be wearing the jersey on my avatar+matching shorts-planning on starting between 8 and 8.30

I'll be riding an Airborne-with disc brakes

I hope to be propped up at the bar for an hour or so after I finish, chatting to Richyboy-who I know is about 6' 5" and often wears Bianchi
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'll be riding a light blue Hewitt steel bike, and a red Campag retro jersey. I'm intending to be on my way at about 8. It would be great to see some fellow forumites!
  • I willl be unmissable in my new kit.
    I have a Busy Bees yellow and black jersey, black shorts.

Just look for a 18stone bee, thats me!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I will probably be wearing a black/sliver top and will be riding an Airbourne, and my mate will be riding a red/white Lemond and probably have his blue Italia top on.

We are doing the middle route and hope to set off around 8ish.

Give us a shout if you see us.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    I'm doing the long one and I don't know what the hell to wear. I know what I'll be riding though . . . Pinarello Prince in team colours.
  • Benny Hone
    Benny Hone Posts: 43
    Yorkman wrote:
    [

A word of warning as well, as I did the Dales Grimpeur audax yesterday which takes in a fair bit of this route.

There are roadworks on Greenhow Hill, halfway up, meaning it's traffic light controlled and only one side of the road is open.

The time between light changes is very short, we nearly got totalled by a lorry coming down the hill when his lights changed and we were still climbing.

Be bloody careful, as it's on a blind corner as well!!

I drove all the way along that road today and there are no roadworks on there at all so worry not, it is all clear!
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • The forecast seems to have reduced from a 'feels like' of 24C to a 'feels like' of 21C at 1pm. It'll still feel very very steep! I'm looking to start early - no later than 8am to miss the worst of the heat.

I've been thinking about shoes. SPL-SL with pessimistic option of walking in my socks or SPD's and pessimistic option of walking in my MTB shoes but not looking 'the part' whilst on my bike. I've decided vanity is not important and I've opted for the latter :)
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • refugee from the other side here! can any one tell me how this ride compares to the EDD and the 5 dales, and what 5 of the same roads/climbs does it cover? Guess Coal rd is chucked in, what about Park Rash?
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Is there a GPX version of the route available. I can not find one on the website.
    I will be riding the short 50 mile sprint option.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    refugee from the other side here! can any one tell me how this ride compares to the EDD and the 5 dales, and what 5 of the same roads/climbs does it cover? Guess Coal rd is chucked in, what about Park Rash?

Park Rash..... :twisted: Don't suggest hills for these rides....They're hard enough without trying to include Park Rash..... :wink:
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    I am doing the mid route, my wife and i have just had 2nd baby so training as been very limited. Looking forward to it.

I will be on a yellow and black Lemond Victoire and my brother on a ti and carbon Lemond Tete de course and i suspect we will both be decked out from head to foot in our best Rapha gear :D

Setting off at about 8am, so say hello when you are powering past us.

Cheers
    Fraser
  • nickwill
    I'm not competitive, but.......(!?!) I was pleased to see this on the WRC website.

'We are aware that for some reason (?!?) last year a number of riders did not ride the climb of Langbar after the second crossing of the A59. This year we will be identifying those riders who cut along the valley bottom & will simply DQ them & remove all record of their ride from the results! If don`t complete the course, we will do our best to make sure you are caught, you have been warned!!'

IIt did piss me off a bit last year when this happened. If I suffered on Langbar, why shouldn't everyone else. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nickwill wrote:
    I'm not competitive, but.......(!?!) I was pleased to see this on the WRC website.

'We are aware that for some reason (?!?) last year a number of riders did not ride the climb of Langbar after the second crossing of the A59. This year we will be identifying those riders who cut along the valley bottom & will simply DQ them & remove all record of their ride from the results! If don`t complete the course, we will do our best to make sure you are caught, you have been warned!!'

IIt did wee-wee me off a bit last year when this happened. If I suffered on Langbar, why shouldn't everyone else. :twisted:

Why even do the event if your going to miss out the last 'hurdle' ?....Weathers looking good for Sunday...can't wait for my jaunt in the Dales...only did the northern dales(me being a scotsman and all) so looking very much forward to the southern pasts aswell.

I'll be on a Black and Cream Orbea Orca..and I'll be in full black Endura FS260 gear....shouldn't be too hard to recognise...theres not much 6'5" guys with a spiders web tattoed to his left elbow?.....disclaimer.....we were all VERY young and foolish once :wink:
  • nickwill
    It would be great to meet some of the people who I only know 'virtually' on the various forums. Maybe we should all wear a pink carnation...... or maybe not!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Nickwill wrote:

IIt did wee-wee me off a bit last year when this happened. If I suffered on Langbar, why shouldn't everyone else. :twisted:

I suffered big time on Langbar last year and had to walk the last bit. Don't see the point of entering if you are not going to complete the course.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    hugo15 wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

I suffered big time on Langbar last year and had to walk the last bit. Don't see the point of entering if you are not going to complete the course.

Strange, because dedicated riders of audax will take an easier/alternative route if they can. I've been on a couple of rides where people don't follow the route exactly. Their notion is that as long as they take the general route and arrive at all the controls within the allotted time that's fine. There's no rule to stop you doing each climb twice or more
    M.Rushton
  • nickwill
    I think that it demonstrates one of the differences between the formats. Sportives define and signpost a specific route, whereas Audax events are more about finding the best route beween specific points.
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

Why even do the event if your going to miss out the last 'hurdle' ?....Weathers looking good for Sunday...can't wait for my jaunt in the Dales...only did the northern dales(me being a scotsman and all) so looking very much forward to the southern pasts aswell.

I'll be on a Black and Cream Orbea Orca..and I'll be in full black Endura FS260 gear....shouldn't be too hard to recognise...theres not much 6'5" guys with a spiders web tattoed to his left elbow?.....disclaimer.....we were all VERY young and foolish once :wink:

What time are you starting Richy? I'm driving down from Middlesbrough so don't know what time i'll be setting off.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:

What time are you starting Richy? I'm driving down from Middlesbrough so don't know what time i'll be setting off.

Looking to head off for between 7.45-8am....I'll keep an eye out for the most pro-like looking lad on the sportif...when my wife seen the Photo's of our Ryedale Rumble Reccy ride she thought you looed like a Pro :D ....funny she never said anything about me......theres not much photos of us at 80 odd miles...none of looked like pro's by then...happy and safe riding to all!
  • muffin top
    muffin top Posts: 78
    Tomorrow will be my first ever sportive (really), so I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Should I take my shopper or the racer (c. 1976 raleigh 5-speed)?

Pre-ride prep: I was considering curry and a few lagers tonight (should give me a bit of zing on the hills). Oh yes, and I must oil that chain - it was looking a bit orange last time I checked and guess its not improved over the winter.

Have fun and safe riding.
    I should get out more (on the bike)
  • Am i missing something here.

I have just plotted the route on Bike ROute Toaster, for the 80km ride. And the route card says start on Pool Rd in Otley. But the route finishes at Weston.
    SO its not a full loop. Is this correct?

Or is also the start at Weston?

Seems strange to me, or am i being a total divvie ??
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    Howie

You are correct :o

The route starts at the Rugby ground on Pool Rd in Easton.
    Finish is at Weston. Then a gentle mile or two back to the HQ after you have dibbed your timing chip, and your timing has stopped.

I think they have done this, because on the first WRC in 2006, there was a lot of traffic near the end - makes sense not to be going as hard as you can (or your worn out legs will let you) if the roads are busy.

Have a good ride :D
  • Martin

Thnaks for that, i thought i was going a little mad then.

Watch out for a 19stone bee, it might be me!
  • Last night I had a dream where I was cycling up an endless hill, which became gradually steeper until I had to get off and push my bike. It continued getting steeper until I had to abandon my bike and crawl up it on my hands and knees. It still got steeper and then I slid down where upon I woke up.

:shock:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    Was the the hill called Langbar? lol
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    You didn't pass a sign saying "Col du Tourmalet" at the beginning of this dream did you. What you've described has been a bit of a waking nightmare for some of us for a few months now. :(
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Last night I had a dream where I was cycling up an endless hill, which became gradually steeper until I had to get off and push my bike. It continued getting steeper until I had to abandon my bike and crawl up it on my hands and knees. It still got steeper and then I slid down where upon I woke up.

:shock:
    You ? Push :? I didn't think people who looked as good as you in pictures EVER pushed. Be thinking of you all. Looking to do my first 200 miler next Saturday in preperation for the Rydale Rumble. Even getting photo'd next to you still didn't make me look good :cry:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace