White Rose Classic

bobh
bobh Posts: 163
Many in the Sportive World will know of the health problems faced by our Event Organiser Derek Boocock and his wife Caroline over the last year. Throughout that period our BC Yorkshire Events Group has provided shadow cover for the roles that Derek hasn't been able to handle alone.

Happily both are now on the mend but it's clear that as we approach the event the members of the Group need to be more clearly identified and contactable in their respective roles.

Bob Howden will now take on the role of Event Administrator...as the Organiser of the Ryedale Rumble and the National Road Race Championships...he has some experience! He will manage the Event Registration and Headquarters and can be found at bobhowden@grasscrete.com or 07739 892056

Matthew Payne will continue in his role as Routing and Logistics Manager the job he has handled since the WRC first began. He can be found at mattpbcyorks@hotmail.co.uk or 07789 883167.

Pete Sutton, will be Feed Station Manager, co-ordinating stocking and operation, find him on yorks.dca@btopenworld.com or 07852 167479.

Derek will still be there on the day and will now be working alongside fellow photographers Martin Images. Caroline will also be lending a hand on the Registration Desk.

It's a full field of just under 1000 riders, great venue and route, fingers crossed for the weather. Our sister event the Ryedale Rumble on the 27th July has still places available for its tough North York Moors route. For more information visit www.ryedalerumble.co.uk

British Cycling Yorkshire Events Group

Comments

• Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Bob.

OK listen up guys and gals:

We are still short on helpers, so we are offering the following initiative:

Sunday 8th June

Come along and help with car parking, jobs at the HQ, at one of the feed stations etc.

In return a guaranteed entry to the event next year, plus we'll give you a nice WRC T-Shirt to wear (and keep!) on the day.

There must be loads of partners who are coming along and dropping off riders. You don't have to stay all day, help out for a couple of hours and the helpers can nominate ANYONE to take the place they are earning. So:

Bring a body, get a ride 2009

is our new slogan!!

Email Matt above or ring him on 07789883167 if you're available.
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • Booboocp
    Just an update on the above, I am not the organiser of the White Rose Classic and therefore please can all correspondence or enquiries be directed at one of the officials listed above.
  • bobh
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Derek.

The Event as a whole is being run by BC Yorkshire - same team - same operation as for the previous editions of the event, but with the best part of 1000 entries this year and a challenging format it was important for us identify the individual roles on the run in to the day. As Derek says it's also going to be demanding on our volunteer team so if you fancy a role contact Matt Payne

Clarification of the structure will also hopefully give Derek the space to develop his photography business, which after having seen some of is work I can say he's well worth a booking.

We've had some issues recently with the website and unfortunately we have a domain problem with the URL. Full access to be site can however be found via the link on the main BC Yorkshire website; www.bcyorkshire.co.uk

Bob Howden
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Oh crap this is the 8th of June?!

Better stop messing about.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • bobh
    Yes Luke, so don't forget to save a bit for the final climbs, although it shouldn't be snowing :lol: !!
  • shockedsoshocked
    bobh wrote:
    Yes Luke, so don't forget to save a bit for the final climbs, although it shouldn't be snowing :lol: !!

Even if it is I think i'm well prepared by now :lol:

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Hi Booboo - glad to see you posting again and to hear that your health is improving.
    Best regards
  • Booboocp
    shazzz wrote:
    Hi Booboo - glad to see you posting again and to hear that your health is improving.
    Best regards

For the benefit of my many friends in the cycling world: Thursday 22nd May 2008

Hi All,

It's no secret that I have had problems with depression and I'm sorry for losing contact with many of you, but a lot of the time I thought I was better on my own. But now I have some good news to share at last. After over 2 years and a few relapses I have finally (this morning) been given the all clear and the go-ahead to get cycling again.

So I'll be out on the bike this Bank Holiday weekend and hopefully see some of you in the near future.

It will be nice to catch up.

Derek
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Good to have you back Derek.
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    See you at WRC then Derek
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Good one Derek - best wishes
  • fraz167
    fraz167 Posts: 142
    Good News indeed, all the best.

I was out yesterday doing some preparation, Fleets Moss was pretty bleak yesterday, Coal Road no problem as i had the wind behind me.

Are there many people from the forum doing the White Rose? What time are you planning to start etc?

Cheers
    Fraser
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'm doing it after having an absolute stinker last year. It feels like unfinished business.
    I think I'll probably aim to be off at about 8 am.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yip, I'm doing it and just canny wait....think this will be just great, I've only ever cycled the Northern Dales so getting down to Otley etc will be a new experience...won't be sayi ng that at 100 odd miles with langbar :wink:

This sportif had just the best reviews last year...1000 riders, Lovely quiet gorgeous roads and terrain of the York Dales...all from quality organisers...super dooper..
  • shockedsoshocked
    I'm doing the big route and am bricking it some what. Have this week off work and intended to get some miles in but looks like it's going to be raining :(

Think it's going to be a bit of a suffer-fest.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I'm doing the big route and am bricking it some what. Have this week off work and intended to get some miles in but looks like it's going to be raining :(

Think it's going to be a bit of a suffer-fest.

It's quite a testing route-it's not just endurance you need, it's brute strength, but the scenery is off the scale, and it includes many worthwhile climbs.

It's a bit brutal to include Langbar at the end

I'm hoping to meet Richyboy and other forrumites-met Captain Fagor last year-you're welcome to join in...
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Oh dear oh dear, it's coming round...

I'm off to Italy next week, a week of cycling at Riccione, getting back Friday and probably home after midnight.

If I look at it positively, I'll have had a week of conditioning, be fit and ready for anything :D

If I look at it negatively, I'll be knackered and jetlagged, with a bumful of saddle boils :shock:

Ah, let's be positive... :lol:

See you there folks !
  • Ok. I'll be honest I'm starting to get worried. I'm down for the long event. Its the write ups of the severity of the climbs that's got me worried. The hardest sportive I've completed is the Bealach Na Ba in a fairly reasonably time of about 5 and a half hours.

Should I be ok (but tired) on the WRC??

Thanks in advance for any encouragement:)
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Not sure I can provide any of you the reassurance you are looking for. I did the long one last year and it was brutal. Took me over 11 hours, but somehow I wasn't last! Suffered with cramp from about 60 miles, which made the Coal Road interesting (but I made it). Got nearly to the top of Langbar when I had the option of either getting off or falling off (I chose option 1, first time I have walked for years). Looking back it was a great achievement for me but did I "enjoy it"......... I'm still not sure. I can hardly remember any thing from Malham onwards. Oh that reminds me, the final leg from Malham is much harder than it looks on the route profile, 50m up, 50m down, and repeat loads of times, not what you need when your legs are screaming.

My training diet was 40 to 60 mile runs on a Sunday in the North York Moors and a couple of shorter runs during the week. I did one 80 miler a few weeks prior to the event but I just didn't get enough miles in (I had done about 1400 miles in the calendar year up to the ride).

I will be back for more this year, but just doing the middle route instead. Would be good to meet up with a few of the other guys on here. I think I will be off sometime around 8.

BTW I still have plans to do the long route again :wink:
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    Ken Night wrote:
    It's quite a testing route-it's not just endurance you need, it's brute strength, but the scenery is off the scale, and it includes many worthwhile climbs.

It's a bit brutal to include Langbar at the end

I'm hoping to meet Richyboy and other forrumites-met Captain Fagor last year-you're welcome to join in...

And very nice it was to meet you, Ken - as dashing and well spoken a fellow as I can remember. And mighty strong too! Just a pity my form wasn't up to much at the time, and then there was the heat-stroke - nasty!

Just had five months off the bike (exams) but making up for lost miles: managed 805 this month, with 114 today. Only doing the Ryedale Rumble and Spud this year - maybe bump into you then?

Have a good ride, y'all - it's a cracker of a route! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think this will be excellent!...I love the Dales...I've never did the southern Dales but I'm so looking forward to it all...I do think this will be VERY hard...but I must say I've got no reservations at all!....steady pace will see me through.....after this years Freddy I think this will be a 'nice' memory.....the Coal road etc don't worry me at all....after doing Hardknott at 100miles in 80 degrees Heat with 97% humidity I'm rather looking forward to 'normal' obstacles....this event has just the very best cudo's....I did the Ryedale Rumble Reccy for Matt and Bob from BC this year(along with Shockedsoshocked) and it was top notch...this sportif has already near gained legendary respect in terms of difficulty and scenery and organisation....if you like this then have a wee pop at the Ryedale Rumble...Boltby Bank / Blakey Bank and the legend that is Rosedale Chimney bank...steepest road in the UK (if not the world)..all from the same lads behind the WRC...looking forward to meeting up with you all!
  • Benny Hone
    Benny Hone Posts: 43
    Just to say my brother-in-law has entered but cannot now ride this event. Can his number be transferred to someone else who wants to ride but was maybe unlucky in the entry? The website doesn't make this clear.
    Your optimism strikes me like junk mail addressed to the dead.
  • Booboocp
    Benny Hone wrote:
    Just to say my brother-in-law has entered but cannot now ride this event. Can his number be transferred to someone else who wants to ride but was maybe unlucky in the entry? The website doesn't make this clear.

Contact Bob Howden, but be quick:

He can be found at bobhowden@grasscrete.com or 07739 892056
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    I'm also dreading this as it gets nearer. I did the Richmond five dales last week and did OK (7:14:55) but this one looks much, much tougher and it's further. Will I be OK?

It is on Sunday isn't it?
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Benny Hone wrote:

Probably not - I emailed him last week to go on thje reserve list in the event someone dropped out, and was told the reserve list was full as well.

A word of warning as well, as I did the Dales Grimpeur audax yesterday which takes in a fair bit of this route.

There are roadworks on Greenhow Hill, halfway up, meaning it's traffic light controlled and only one side of the road is open.

The time between light changes is very short, we nearly got totalled by a lorry coming down the hill when his lights changed and we were still climbing.

Be bloody careful, as it's on a blind corner as well!!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Yorkman wrote:
    I did the Dales Grimpeur audax yesterday ...
    Your legs should be nicely mashed up for next week then!

Wish I'd done the DG this year....
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    vermooten wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:
    I did the Dales Grimpeur audax yesterday ...
    Your legs should be nicely mashed up for next week then!

Wish I'd done the DG this year....

I only (only!) did the 140, but it still has 3400m of climbing.

As you'll know, it has probably the hardest start of any ride on the planet, just plain brutal, and it was as hot as hell, I'm bright pink today.

Not doing the WRC as I didn't enter in time and it's no bad thing as 3 big rides in 3 weeks (after the Richmond CC last week) would mean my legs were completely shot for my Italain jaunt. Going to have next weekend off, get some life back into me.
  • Bugger it, think i'm going to take it steady and enjoy it. I was hoping for a gold standard time in this and the Ryedale Rumble but I don't think I have enough miles into me (only 1200 this year :( Bad weather, groin strains and mechanical failures are no fun ) although I am riding faster and climbing much better than last year so I think i'll just build on it after this ride.

I'll just have to hammer it in the RR, being on home soil and all :twisted:

PTP Runner Up 2015