Powerbreathe?? Anyone used them??

tonyw43
tonyw43 Posts: 249
Okay, so my fitness levels are not the best, and I know the more I ride, the better my fitness will get (slowly). But I am always happy to try new things if they help naturally. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the powerbreath things. Any good, benefits, drawbacks etc. After having smoked for 15 years (gave up 3 years ago, never looked back), it would be fair to say that my lungs had taken a bit of a hit, so anything I can do to improve my lung capacity, as well as just riding more, would be a bonus.

Comments

• liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    TonyW43 wrote:
    Okay, so my fitness levels are not the best, and I know the more I ride, the better my fitness will get (slowly). But I am always happy to try new things if they help naturally. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the powerbreath things. Any good, benefits, drawbacks etc. After having smoked for 15 years (gave up 3 years ago, never looked back), it would be fair to say that my lungs had taken a bit of a hit, so anything I can do to improve my lung capacity, as well as just riding more, would be a bonus.

I used one for a while. They work, but they are no fun. I find that intervals up a steep hill are more enjoyable ... and you get a sense of achievement rather than just feeling queasy.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • cyclingjosh
    cyclingjosh Posts: 13
    i dont know where i heard it from, but i remember reading somewhere that it is the equivalent of riding up a hill in terms of lung workout. I have never used one so cant really comment personally.
  • Alex_Simmons/RST
    Alex_Simmons/RST Posts: 4,161
    maybe they give your lungs a work out, however some of most important physiological adaptations required for cycling fitness occurs within the legs. working one without the other is pretty pointless if you ask me.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    I've heard that some asthmatics have found them useful. But that was just forum heresay.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I kinda get the impression they were designed for asthmatics, but then some bright spark in marketing realised they could cross-sell to a new market of sportspeople...
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    They claim to provide resistance to the intercostal muscles and diaphragm, being muscles they will get stronger. In theory it means your respiratory system is stronger/'more efficient and therefore your endurance should increase.
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Cheers for the comments guys. Guess I should just get my butt out on my bike more.
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    I bought one recently out of curiosity more than anything. I also run and suffer from stitiches so I wondered if the increased diaphragm stregth would help with this (the website claims that Gebrselassie wouldnt have got a stitch in London if he used one!).

I have only been using it for 2 weeks and my experience so far is:

1. It's really boring - you only do 30 times but it is hard to motivate myself to do it.

2. I am getting better at doing it - the resistance is variable and I can manage more

3. I havent noticed any improvement performance wise (but it is a bit early to say)

4. In my heart of hearts I think that aerobic exercise must give the breathing muscles the workout they need so unconvinced of need for supplemental training. Still it might turn out to be the silver bullet i have been dreaming of!
  • meenaghman
    meenaghman Posts: 345
    I'm an asthmatic and find that using one to warm up the lungs before I go out on a cold morning helps prevent me wheezing. I take ventolin/salbutamol only and find that after using this then the inhaler, my lungs are freer, than if I just use inhaler alone.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Bought one to but got bored after a few days :(
  • Dr_Death
    Dr_Death Posts: 1,262
    Previous thread, with some studies here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12547376
    Steve

Trust me, I'm a doctor!

http://www.vimeo.com/DrDeath