...why is it such a no no?

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Who says its a no-no?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • I've heard loads of people say you have to take your reflectors off your bike if you're serious about MTBing yet I have no idea why!

Is it some bizarre thing where reflectors just aren't cool?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Neither of my MTB's came with them* :D

*yes it is illegal to sell a bike (to be used on the road) without reflectors.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I've heard loads of people say you have to take your reflectors off your bike if you're serious about MTBing yet I have no idea why!

Is it some bizarre thing where reflectors just aren't cool?

None of my bikes have reflectors, that's just me - I tend to find that they get in the way, rattle, get snagged on stuff, etc.

But there's no hard and fast rule that says "thou shalt not have reflectors on thy mountain bike". Who cares? It's up to you in the long run.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Oh I know, I couldn't give a monkeys, it's just always puzzled me!
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    First thing I do when I get a bike is remove the reflectors (and bell) if it's a road bike or a mountain bike.

No idea why but I just don't like the look of them on and I have to agree they do tend to rattle.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Mine came with reflectors and a bell !!!

I only got rid of them due to the rattling... But I was gonna get rid of the bell anyways...

Honest.

imo bikes look better without 'flectors.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    It's like the "bar ends on risers" thing, and the wearing camelbacks for roadie-rides unwritten rule. I say go with whatever works for you a fcuk popular opinion!
    (Reflectors will make you look like a numpty though!) :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Yeh, you gotta get rid of those reflectors & bell.

There's at least a 200g weight saving removing those.

That should mean you can excellerate better and it will make you 0.00000000000000001% more efficient.

or

Keep the bell, then when you are trying to pass someone in a race, a quick 'ping' & they'll know your coming through.

:D:):D:):D:)
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • maybe an xtr carbon fibre double butted reflector would be co0l....
    Train hard, ride easy
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    If my girlfriend had anything to do with it I would have reflectors, a bell and ribbons coming out of the handle bars....
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I left my bell on - if I took it off, I'd mow down a large number of people on the subway (as in cycle/pedestrian) every day.

My front and rear reflectors have come off, but I left the wheel ones on.
  • My front and rear reflectors are long gone as they're a pain, it's my wheel ones that are still there.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I actually left my bell on for a few weeks, funny as to pass someone who thinks they're flying down the trail ringing your bell :lol::lol:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    maybe an xtr carbon fibre double butted reflector would be co0l....

I would buy a bell if they did do super duper version, sad but true! :lol:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • It's a pro thing init - a bike of high spec for offroad use only wont need reflectors for the cars to see. A bike like mine, ahem, comes with reflectors and a bell - cheaper, lower spec xc hardtail, which is also road friendly (ish) for folk that want to do both.

I haven't taken mine off yet but i'm guessing it would look a little more like a serious outfit without em! :D Might just have to do it :oops:
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    best not to worry about what you should and shouldnt have on your bike, do what you want to do and dont worry about what other people think! be your own person :D
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    huh... i never actually took mine off conciously, they either snapped off, fell off or were taken off for cleaning and never got put back...
    i ride a hardtail
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The less sharp pointy out things to hit when you crash the better in my opinion - take em off!

If you want something reflective I would sugest reflective tape on seatpost and headset.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Douche
    Douche Posts: 134
    Lets face it we all know the drag coefficient of reflectors is abnormally high, similiar to that of a pregnant hippo infact, combine losing that amount of drag together with the weight reduction and removing reflectors will give you anywhere between a 25-35% performance increase :lol:
    I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
    185 G3 CleanSweep Front
    Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    first thing i do to my bikes is take refectors off. They rattle, get muddy to the point where they don't work anyway and look naff.

Also if you are a weight weenie you can save a good few gramms by removing them.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • mattfinch
    mattfinch Posts: 36
    Dav1 wrote:
    and look naff.

hammare.jpg
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    god that took me a minute to work out
    i ride a hardtail
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i took my reflecters off but i still got my bell. well on my hardtail anyway.

i love ringing my bell :shock: at hikers who have to walk 4 abreast across the trail..
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Reflectors on my kona snapped off in a crash, and the bell was dented, so i took that off aswell. The focus didn't come with either. Personal i prefer the look of the bikes without, but there's no written rule.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • mediamonkey
    mediamonkey Posts: 128
    I left my reflectors on because I commute on the MTB during the week - the more shiny bits the better after sark with the numpty drivers round here!

Of course when I finally get round to turning my old MTB into a commuter hack instead of letting it rust in the shed, I will no longer have to use my decent MTB for commuting! :idea:
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    I took them off as soon as i left the shop, dunno why, just felt the need to get shot of them, and the bell went too.
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    I took mine off as when I did my first big crash on my spesh hardrock (long time ago) my reflector ended up turning 1 snapped spoke into 3, as the reflector pulled the 1 it was attached to and pushed the other 2 around it. So couldn't even limp home riding carefully as the moment I tried to put weight on the wheel I could feel the wheel starting to go. Which propmed a new wheel off the shelf as a rebuild was about 3 pounds less than the whole new one and left me with a spare hub.
  • my rule: Off MTBs on roadies
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Team515
    Team515 Posts: 141
    I took mines off, plus the bell when i got my bike home