Its all about Pressure

scrat
scrat Posts: 25
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
After a very long wait and lots of saving I finally have my dream bike. Orange 5 :D

Anyway, it's running stock rubber. Continental Mountain King 2.4. :arrow:

So I set them at 35psi all round, just the same as I was used to on my old bike (h/t). Within a mile I was punctured (rose bush twig). Just my luck!! :roll:

I have bought a nokian d/h tube, which may help. But I thought I best check 35psi was the best setting. I did a search on here and loads of psi threads came up with all sorts of advise. I also checked the conti web site. It says they should be set at 50psi:

http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle ... king.shtml

I ride 85% trials (going grafham water this weekend) & 15% road. I'm about 11.5 - 12.0 stone.

Surely conti know best and I should set them at 50 all round :?:

What are you other 5 owners running :?:

Thanks

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    It says recomended is 50psi with a max of 65psi. You have some sus front and back so I would say 65psi all round as you don't need the squashy back tyre as a suspension substitute.

Oh and I'm running Highroller 2.1 XC at 65psi on my Patriot 6.6 and Highroller 2.5 DH at 65psi on my 223.
  • smithy220
    smithy220 Posts: 44
    i would never run low pressures on my bike as its just asking for punctures especially on the trail then again some of the roads round here are far worse than any trail :D i run 50-60 wit slime tubes and all has been OK so far
    people are like pens if they don't work shake em
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I don't tend to go for much more than 40.

I used the Nokian d/h tubes for a while but I did notice the difference in rolling weight (or at least I thought I did!) when I changed back and haven't picked up a puncture yet - shouldn't have said that!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Orange 5 with Panaracer Fire XC Pro, tyre pressure around 40psi.

The lower the pressure the more grip, but the greater the chance of pinch flats.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • SuperCove
    SuperCove Posts: 127
    I run my Cove on 40psi if I am going to be spending most of the ride off road for the extra grip, never really had a problem with pinch punctures.... famous last words, but if the route has large road sections I will run at around 55psi
    Cove Handjob XC
    Giant OCR
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    30-40 psi off road. I like to have grip ;-)
  • BrightonMTB
    BrightonMTB Posts: 15
    40psi front

45psi back

for me anyway
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i hit 45 all round and seem to do fine on mine
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    what would happen, aside from heavy wheels and assuming no leaks, if you filled your tyres with water instead of air?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I just checked earlier, and I seem to be running 21PSI rear, 25PSI front! :shock:
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Depends if i have a slow puncture. around 30 as i am 9.5 stone. 40 if its rocky and 50 for the road.

Front a couple of psi lower.
  • what would happen, aside from heavy wheels and assuming no leaks, if you filled your tyres with water instead of air?

Well water doesn't compress, so you'd have a much harder ride. but You might have a slight problem with rotating masses! :shock:
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    45 front 40 rear on a ht here, about 9 stones and no punctures with my armadillos yet :) i was running them 50-50 but found grip was suffering a bit, better with 5-10 less in for me.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I run my Conti's at 40-45 PSI but still get the occassional pinch flat on the rocky local trails.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    i run all my tyres at 65-70psi...

the only problem is shimano mech's smashing themselves to pieces on the chainstay over braking bumps, but Sram sorted that out :)
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    You could use helium to inflate your tires, that would make your bike feel lighter.

I heard that 15/20 years ago bike companies were experimenting putting helium in sealed frame tubing to make bikes feel lighter, does anyone know if thats true??
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    The helium in tyres wouldn't work with conventional tubes, the molecules are much smaller.

I think it was thought about and then had many con's such as lack of traction etc
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    40psi does the job for me on both bikes. Rarely get punctures. My mates who don't use a proper pump always get punctures.
  • Spamjavelin
    Spamjavelin Posts: 14
    Hmmm, I'll have to experiment after reading this, I'm running High Rollers on my norco at 35 psi all round, trying lower pressure than normal. Usually run 40 psi all round. I think just try various pressures and see what works for you. :roll:
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    Mc Smiley wrote:
    The helium in tyres wouldn't work with conventional tubes, the molecules are much smaller.

I think it was thought about and then had many con's such as lack of traction etc

seem to recall a thread about this a while back... there was alot of science (and even more guess work...)

for the record i run stoopidly low pressures apparently, stock 2.3 high rollers at 32/35 front back... for XC. does this make me a bad person??
    i ride a hardtail
  • Anonymous
    Not at all, Will. I tried higher pressures of 40PSI yesterday, and found that the bike's handling was massively compromised. The tyres just couldn't deform properly to absorb the trail.

As for helium in your bike to make it lighter, it wouldn't work. It would probably make your bike weigh a couple of tenths of a gram lighter, but that's all.

Did nobody see the mythbusters episode where they tried to make things fly using helium? it's much harder than you'd think!
  • Will Snow
    i know a bmxer who says he runs 90psi in his tyres... wouldnt want to jumop anything on that...
    i ride a hardtail
  • Anonymous
    Actually, with the smaller tyres, is 90PSI a lot? I know nothing about BMXs except "I want one" so excuse my ignorance!
  • supersonic
    I worked out that Helium would have the effect of about 4grams less per wheel!
  • Will Snow
    well a car still only runs 30psi, and a road bike around 100, so id guess that 90 would snap your wrists off (and funnily enough, i want one as well...) 60 on my mtb hurt a wee bit aswell!

edit: and itd prob cost about £20 per wheel as well...
    i ride a hardtail
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    I worked out that Helium would have the effect of about 4grams less per wheel!
    Ah, but have you taken compression into account as well as pure volume of the tyre?
  • supersonic
    edited May 2008
    Yep! I have the workings somewhere - I think it was 4g per tyre at 3 atm (might have been 7g!) with a 2.00 inch tyre on a 26 inch MTB rim
  • Anonymous
    Will Snow wrote:
    well a car still only runs 30psi, and a road bike around 100, so id guess that 90 would snap your wrists off (and funnily enough, i want one as well...) 60 on my mtb hurt a wee bit aswell!

edit: and itd prob cost about £20 per wheel as well...
    But, cars have huge air volume in their tyres, so 30PSI is fine. Road bike tyres have a smaller air volume, so 100PSI is about correct.

i know BMX tyres are pretty wide, but surely the amount of air they hold is pretty small, being 20" and all.
  • Will Snow
    :lol::lol::lol:

balloon-bike.jpg

maybe???
    i ride a hardtail
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Yep! I have the workings somewhere - I think it was 4g per tyre at 3 atm (might have been 7g!) with a 2.00 inch tyre on a 26 inch MTB rim
    Hmm, tha;t not too bad a saving for these uber-lightweight XC freaks!
    However, you'd need some special tubes made that could actually contain the Helium!