A real Classic. Raleigh's finest on e bay

2»

Comments

• meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "the number of 'sticker/decal' sellers on ebay"

And - amazingly - usually of those that can be affixed to an otherwise less "desirable" model. GT Zaskar stickers are popular: not easy to tell an Avalanche from a Zaskar...the latter are worth considerably more! Lesson? Never buy a re-painted Zaskar!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • bagpusscp wrote:
    I know a lot of old cyclists who give me loads of old bits .Their comments are it was crap then and its crap now .The new stuff works much much better .I totally agree ,Yes I have a lot of crap :shock: also been know to talk it :oops: Still I can always ride a modern bike. :wink:

Old stuff isn't necessarilly crap. It depends which old stuff you're talking about. Race kit has indeed got better and better, but if you want solid and dependable and you need variable gears you can't do better than a Sturmey Archer AW hub.

What I'd really like is an ASC :D
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907

What I'd really like is an ASC :D[/quote]

and have you seen how much they fetch :shock:
    bagpuss
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    I certainly have. Which is why I haven't got one.

There are some persistent rumours of a new production run, but nothing ever seems to happen. Perhaps the upsurge of interest in fixed wheel bikes will be enough to convince the current owners (Sunrace?) that it would be worthwhile. Meanwhile I can live in hope of finding one at a bargain price.

You never know, one day it might happen. "You can have this one for nowt mate. The freewheel doesn't work." I wish.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    A guy rode by me on a very nice traditional looking red Raleigh last night. I considered catching up with him and offering £20 for it, as, not wanting to be judgmental based on looks but beng so anyway, he & it didn't look like they had any great affinity, if you know what I mean.
  • meagain
    In Glasgow....wasn't me, but mine would cost you more than that!
    d.j.
  • krakow
    krakow Posts: 110
    I might have had as much as £50 in my wallet...
  • meagain
    WHICH wheel would you have chosen?
    d.j.
  • meagain
    Reverting to OP, THIS Raleigh is nice and without the hype might go for a reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009

Usual disclaimers.
    d.j.
  • Pete Beer
    Pete Beer Posts: 604
    Now that's nice, my size and not far from me.......................But it has gears,
  • meagain
    "But it has gears,"

Only a couple of hours work to rectify THAT!
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    edited May 2008
    70 's frame? 80's rear mech .Hmm
    bagpuss
  • meagain
    Errr??? Eh???
    d.j.
  • bagpusscp
    Team frames from the 80.s all had a plate on the top of the rear seat stay,which has a slight over lap .This applied to all Worksop or Ilkeston 531 & 753 frames. I will post a picture to show what i mean.
    bagpuss
  • bagpusscp
    All Raleigh 531 replics should have these features.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N00/2476876892/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 673051032/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N00/2476884460/

All Worksop or Ilkeston 531& 753 frames had these GOD trade Marks.I got caught out by the first one when I started this thread .I now look more closely :oops:
    bagpuss