Comments

• jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    sounds good mate

how long did it take?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    4 hours 50 mins.

We went from york, to knaresborough, wetherby, tadcaster, then through all little villages, was really good.

The guy said if I did not have a backpack on, was not using crappy shoews and MTB pedals, and was wearing some propor cycling top and not a fleece I'd be alot faster, he said I was doing very well.

Was thinking about going out and doing another 20 or so mile but I dunno if I should rest now, legs are aching abit, its gonna rain every day from tomorrow :(.

Might just go out tomorrow in the wet and do 20 or so miles, dont midn the rain apart from what it might do to the bike.
  • jed1978
    jed1978 Posts: 87
    bike will be fine as long as you give it a clean after

well done though.

real novice here too
  • Anonymous
    Are you near york?

Those bib shorts made down there abit sore and abit purpleish, need to sort that out.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Sounds like you did well, I'm knackered after only doing 62 miles today, and that was with all the proper kit. I don't think I would have lasted on my Halfords (dodgy) bike.

Ditch the rucksack and wear the proper kit and no one will be able to keep up with you.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    willhub wrote:
    Are you near york?

Those bib shorts made down there abit sore and abit purpleish, need to sort that out.

Did you put anything on the pad (or skin) such as chamois creme or sudacreme?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Anonymous
    tbh I wanted to do more, but I did not as I am wanting to do some riding tomorrow (veeeery low wind) and riding more today would probs make my legs ache even more.

Slow Downcp No I did not put anything on the pad or skin, never knew it was something to do, someone told me to try vaseline?

redddraggon, my bike was from halfords :p, its not doing too badly now actually, I was thinking maybe it was slowing me down but for the price it was it seems pretty decent, up most of the hills we had the 2 guys with me were up off the saddle pushing up them btu I was sat down most of the time, cant go any high gears really as chain scraped on derailer for some reason.

Also is this seatpack ok?

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... 0000000000

Thinking of getting it due to its price and the fact i has an inner tube with it. I want a jacket or jersey too, which one would be best to go for? They look similar, do they both have rear pockets?
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    willhub wrote:
    Slow Downcp No I did not put anything on the pad or skin, never knew it was something to do, someone told me to try vaseline?

Assos Chamois Creme is the nads (but expensive at around £9 a tub) - Sudacreme is a good cheaper alternative. It provides lubrication and stops the pad rubbing which is probably what has caused your soreness.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    willhub wrote:
    Hi.

zebedeecp, they wont get ***** off with me if I struggled the hills will they? Might be abit easier in the draft of someone, did a small hill today at 20-25mph but was tired, usually going up steep ones at around 12-14mph, but I've never tried propor hills so I guess I'll just have to learn.

If you can climb 'White Horse Bank' (not too far N of York) at 12-14 mph you're a hero and a potential national hill climb champion! I know there aren't too many hills between York and Selby so perhaps your idea of a hill may not be mine :)

A very old friend of mine (in both senses of the word) who lives in Slingsby is a member of Clifton CC but I don't know if he goes on the club runs. His name is Keith and a very laid back guy with a wealth of experience. In fact he used to be a cycle component rep for Chicken's.

I would strongly suggest that you visit York CTC rally on the Knavesmire on (IIRC) June 24/25. It's a great weekend with lots of 'shopping opportunities' and lots of interesting events/displays and only a short ride for you. We used to ride up from Belper but now we go up in our campervan and stay near Naburn for a long weekend.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • zebedeecp
    zebedeecp Posts: 63
    Campy King wrote:
    There seem to be a few Selebians on here, where do Clifton CC meet? Is there no closer club to Selby?

I'm from near Selby and a member of Clifton CC. There is a Selby CC and Ive being in contact with them but get the impression its not a very big club unlike Clifton. For example they dont have regular club runs. They did nothing over winter there first club ride was the weekend the clocks went forward and they have had one more since. I do get notified of any rides they do however. They dont have a website or contact email it is very much a 'one man band club' with quite elderly members.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Assos Chamois Creme is the nads (but expensive at around £9 a tub) - Sudacreme is a good cheaper alternative. It provides lubrication and stops the pad rubbing which is probably what has caused your soreness.

I sent my missus out for some Sudacreme, she has a habit of comparing branded stuff for shops own brand products. She discovered that the ingredients in the Sudacreme are exactly the same as in the Tescos Own Brand Nappy Creme so she bought that home instead, seems to work OK, and it was only 93p...
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 927
    Sorted.
    Saddle soreness AND the 'pit stops' covered. Bonus.

:wink:
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    Mrs Postie John here ! Is it me or is this all just a little bit mad!!? :roll:
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    Not mad at all :D It's been an education following this thread, all the way from:

'Hi. Well I am planning on joining a cycle club in york tomorrow(!) or going along with them, but I'm not really that prepaired, normal clothes, no helmet!, no hand pump!, I need to get some equipment like today.'

Well done Willhub, I need to find a bit of your enthusiasm somewhere. If I could only remember where I left it...
  • Anonymous
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Mrs Postie John here ! Is it me or is this all just a little bit mad!!? :roll:

Whats abit mad?
  • PostieJohn
    I think Wifey was commenting on the fact, your pulling times & distances on a 'dodgy' Halfords bike, with a backpack on, that should have you turning pro!.
    And are still concerned what would fit in a saddle bag.
  • Anonymous
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I think Wifey was commenting on the fact, your pulling times & distances on a 'dodgy' Halfords bike, with a backpack on, that should have you turning pro!.
    And are still concerned what would fit in a saddle bag.

eh? I'm abit lost :? , I'm not pulling any times that should have me turning pro, no where near it.

I dont like wearing bags, it gives me back ache eventually and I'd rather have nothing on my back when I'm doing 70+ miles. My bike is not dodgy, its a Carrera bike and they are good value for the money.
    Roger_This wrote:
    Not mad at all :D It's been an education following this thread, all the way from:

'Hi. Well I am planning on joining a cycle club in york tomorrow(!) or going along with them, but I'm not really that prepaired, normal clothes, no helmet!, no hand pump!, I need to get some equipment like today.'

Well done Willhub, I need to find a bit of your enthusiasm somewhere. If I could only remember where I left it...

I never seen this comment. I've got the helmet, pump and shorts now, just need a jersey and cant decide what saddle bag to get, found 2 for around £5-£10 but dont know if they will be any good. Need to order ASAP so I get em for saturday as I reaaaaly want to do the 140 mile bike ride with Clifton CC on saturday if the weather is good!
  • PostieJohn
    I think a 2nd ride out of 140 miles tells another story.
    It took me all of last summer to clock up nearly 2,000 miles, with a century, in Sept, almost killing me!. Let along coasting up hill at 12-14 mph.
    Maybe I was quoting someone else re 'dodgy' bike, for that I apologise, but for rest, shorts - buttocks - soreness - saddle bag (just get the YPK from wiggle for £8.99) - pump - will they wait etc etc etc all seems a little mad.
    Perhaps Wifey should have said intense.
  • Anonymous
    I'll get one another member linked to in another post.

http://www.mycyclinglog.com/user_view.php?uid=3649

Thats how much I have done so far, havent been using my speedo long but thats clocked 756 miles so far. Latest one I put on is not exact as I tried to put it to best of what I remember, something must of been interfiering with my speedo as it keps going on top of my tv :evil:
  • redddraggon
    PostieJohn wrote:
    Maybe I was quoting someone else re 'dodgy' bike,

I've got the dodgy halfords bike (see sig) I was just trying to say I couldn't have done what he did on my dodgy bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    PostieJohn wrote:

I've got the dodgy halfords bike (see sig) I was just trying to say I couldn't have done what he did on my dodgy bike.

Why could you not have? comfort?
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:

Gear don't work too well, hoods are uncomfortable,
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:

Gears dont work too well? They rubbish or is it the sizes or something?
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    PostieJohn wrote:

Gears dont work too well? They rubbish or is it the sizes or something?

It all needs recabling but I can't bothered - it won't get used much in another 5 weeks.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Does yours use 105 mech and tiagra shifters?
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    Does yours use 105 mech and tiagra shifters?

Nope 2200 and Sora
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Ah, Is 105 mech and Tiagra any better? Thats what I have on my vanquish and it seems to be fine so far, only problem is front mech, chain keeps catching it and making annoying noises, no way of fixing it apart from buying new crang or something as when you are pedaling you can see it moving from side to side the thing the chain is on.
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    Ah, Is 105 mech and Tiagra any better?

It's a lot better and it's pretty good (apart from it's Shimano). Sora and below isn't worth having IMO
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • willhub wrote:
    Ah, Is 105 mech and Tiagra any better? Thats what I have on my vanquish and it seems to be fine so far, only problem is front mech, chain keeps catching it and making annoying noises, no way of fixing it apart from buying new crang or something as when you are pedaling you can see it moving from side to side the thing the chain is on.

Erm this sounds like flex in the frame and therefore no amount of upgrades/new cranks is going to fix this.

Been having a read of this post and I don't think anyone meant to put your back up but were just stating that you sound like a complete begginer, which we all were once so is fine, but seem to have a really high average MPH and the ability to do really long rides. This is what is puzzling a few people as usually the knowledge and mileage go hand in hand.
    Cycling - The pastime of spending large sums of money you don't really have on something you don't really need.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Not everyone is usual thankfully :D
    Maybe he is just naturally fit ?
    First time round when I started I also had high speeds and raced first year and went straight to the old second cat and rode a few elite road races.
    Wish I had same speed now :D
    I am sure he will get advice from clubride guys and push him into right direction.