Basso to Liquigas!

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2008 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Right, so we're ignoring the rule about Pro Tour teams not signing dopers too?

*eagerly awaits ill-considered and inflammatory statement from Pat McQuaid*
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:

*eagerly awaits ill-considered and inflammatory statement from Pat McQuaid*

What's this "pro Tour" thing you speak of?

The ethics code is a team thing rather than UCI thing, isn't it?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited April 2008
    Straight in Di Luca's shoes, eh?

Not surprised though. He's a big name and despite the damage it would cause, Bruyneel couldn't resist trying to sign him. I bet Wegelius can't wait...
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I guess Liquigas are gambling for the death of the Pro Tour. Safe bet.

Exactly what is the rule? Is it that he can't sign for a Pro Tour team or that he can't ride Pro Tour races? I've seen it interpreted both ways.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Well I look forward to Leakygas receiving the same level of forum opprobrium as Discovery did when they signed him...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    €500,000 per year contract. Rates are down.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Does he get to ride the tour?
  • Moomaloid wrote:

Er, no.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moomaloid wrote:

Er, no.

Depends what Tour you're on about. Lombardy, maybe :P

Edit: Or maybe not... 6 days out according to the calendar on cyclingnews! Tour du Faso starts two days after his ban ends, maybe he'll give that a go. Or the really exciting-sounding Tour des Aéroports in Tunisia. Choices, choices, choices.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    afx237vi wrote:
    Did Basso dope? I thought he was just found guilty of being an asshole.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Are Liquigas the new Astana then?

Cars don\'t kill people.
    Motorists do.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    drenkrom wrote:
    I guess Liquigas are gambling for the death of the Pro Tour. Safe bet.

Exactly what is the rule? Is it that he can't sign for a Pro Tour team or that he can't ride Pro Tour races? I've seen it interpreted both ways.

Actually it's the opposite. The UCI lets riders ride if they've served their suspension more than ASO/RCS do. ASO kicks out anyone they want even if they've never been found guilty and if they've already served their time.
  • donrhummy
    vermooten wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

LOL.
  • Kléber
    He got caught and served his time so he can come back. He's missed out on the two best years of his career.

The joke's on him. The nasty lime green and blue stripes remind me a hi-vis version of a convict uniform.

But compare the level he reached before his "attempts" with the level reached in the Giro and Tour and if he comes back, it'll be interesting to see how far he gets...
  • iainf72
    vermooten wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

I bet you Jens, Fabian, Dave Z, Bobby J and the rest of the CSC boys who Basso knows the truth about wouldn't be so quick to call him an asshole.

Basso was clever. He's got a nice gig, meanwhile Jorg and Sinkewitz are getting ready to go work in a factory.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    yet another vitcorian style villain to boo and hiss on the road next summer................what fun

At least i hope people will boo and hiss :?
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    He's not going to have to lose any weight before he goes back racing....

http://wheelsuckers.com/wp-content/uplo ... 81100a.jpg

He looks like he hasn't eaten since his ban.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    He's not going to have to lose any weight before he goes back racing....

http://wheelsuckers.com/wp-content/uplo ... 81100a.jpg

He looks like he hasn't eaten since his ban.

Fat Iain says : Ivan, you bitch.

***** - I said bee-hatch :D
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    that implies he was once clean! the Italian amateur scene as reported by Rendell and others suggests otherwise...

Strava is not Zen.
  • The fact of the matter is that liquigas have already had >500000 euros worth of publicitty, and they haven't even started paying him yet. Smart move in my book. He served his ban. Let him ride.
    Dan
  • Kléber
    Roger Legeay has come out and attacked Liquigas, saying the UCI's Code of Conduct has been broken as a Pro Tour team can't sign a riding punished for doping for 4 years from the offence, ie Basso can't come back into the major races until 2010.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Kléber wrote:
    Roger Legeay has come out and attacked Liquigas, saying the UCI's Code of Conduct has been broken as a Pro Tour team can't sign a riding punished for doping for 4 years from the offence, ie Basso can't come back into the major races until 2010.
    The ProTour is dead in the water and Legeay knows it. The UCI's code of conduct would never stand up in a court as it involves a restraint of trade.

Basso has served his time so should be allowed to ride. It's a shame he didn't actually admit his guilt but I think Iain's point about Sinkewitz and Jaskche is very valid. There is no incentive for a rider to do so - if he keeps quiet and serves his time with humility then he'll get a new contract.
  • DaveyL
    And obviously all three of those named riders are all of the same calibre, so we're making a valid comparison...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    Some comments from Bassohimself
  • DaveyL
    In the Turkish Press!!!!??? How do you find this stuff?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    DaveyL wrote:
    In the Turkish Press!!!!??? How do you find this stuff?

Doesn't get out enough I should imagine, that and fiddles around with news feeds and RSS probably.
  • iainf72
    My geekery isn't that advanced.

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Cycling

I usually check out the TurkishPress ones because they tend to print AFP / Reuters stuff very quickly
  • donrhummy
    Kléber wrote:

OK, I am THOROUGHLY confused. Why do you give a rider a 2-year suspension and then say no one can sign him for 4 years?! What the heck was the 2-year suspension for then? Isn't it 4 years?
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Miracles to happen: this is enough to make even Gibo speechless:

"I don't say anything about that, or it will be a disaster," the former Giro d'Italia winner said"

Strava is not Zen.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    donrhummy wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

OK, I am THOROUGHLY confused. Why do you give a rider a 2-year suspension and then say no one can sign him for 4 years?! What the heck was the 2-year suspension for then? Isn't it 4 years?

It's only the "ProTour" teams that aren't supposed to be able to sign banned riders in the 2 years after their ban.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr