Am I still a beginner?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Hello :D

I've been mtbing since November last year (nice time of year to start - not) and I am still excusing my falls / slow speed and general rubbishness by claiming that i'm a beginner - but can I really claim this now?!!

Bit of a slow work morning obviously, but I am just curious as to when I stop being a beginner and just a very slow unfit mountain biker!

Sarah
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    i say first year is a bigginer, so your ok lass. you got an excuse.

my excuse is still the xmas turkey.. running a bit thin now.
  • miss notax
    Good news!

After a year i'm switching to my age then - 33 in a few weeks :shock: :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• Thewaylander
    that dont count, i was torn past by someone at cwm who looked in his mid to late 50's so wont hold that one.

33 is still young im afraid
  • lexiekay
    lexiekay Posts: 379
    I like to think im still a beginner - gives me a good excuse when i fall off or struggle up a hill, but also makes me look good when i accidentally pull off a stylish move! :lol:
  • miss notax
    Damn - i'll just have to work harder and get fitter then...!

ETA - how long have you been riding for lexiekay?

• Thewaylander
    Hey Lexie! glad to see ya posting!

and fitness will come with riding, as will skills
  • lexiekay
    I've been riding since October so about the same as you!

As for fitness, i took the day off yesterday because of the sunshine, and went for a 65k off road epic :D

it included a bit of a play at a dh/skills course in the woods nearby, and i didnt fall off once! (Ok so i bottled a couple of the jumps, but still....)

feeling great today, and quite pleased with myself, although i seem to have got a bit of a man tan going on.... and a quick word of advice, dont try riding one-handed whilst eating a strawberry split :lol:

i love summer weather........
  • Thewaylander
    Awww no way im jealous, was stuck in work and then had to work on my car when i got home, did manage to spot polish the bike though, hoping to hit some trails tonight! could be a solo effort though :(
  • miss notax
    65k :shock: Blimey - I really am one unfit girlie...!

I am still jealous though. Although I do get a nice drive throught the forest this evening on the way to mtbing - if it's sunny with the roof off - and there's nothing like a bit of topless driving to put a smile on my face :wink::lol:

• Thewaylander
    You said that on perpose!! no fair!!

[and there's nothing like a bit of topless driving to put a smile on my face
    ]

but still hammer down to cwm and ahve a short blast keep me fitness up a bit ready for coed on bank holiday weekend![/quote]
  • lexiekay
    i'm jealous - i so wish i had a car! its a bit restrictive being limited to what you can ride to from your own front door...

Sarah, where in Hampshire are you from? I'm down in Southampton fairly often seeing the folks, so if you know of any good places, i'd be interested to hear!
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    I consider myself a beginner...

But after going out with a few friends, I'm like an expert in comparison!
    I'm down in Southampton fairly often seeing the folks, so if you know of any good places, i'd be interested to hear!

I was in Southampton at the weekend, try out Telegraph woods, I thought it was great!
  • miss notax
    Don't be too jealous lexiekay - my bike won't fit in my car so it doesn't actually help! Fortunately my OH has an estate Volvo which does the job :D

We're in the New Forest (close to Southampton) which is where we usually ride. If you're down during the week let me know and join us for a Wednesday night ride - we need more recuits (and more girls!)!!

• dirtbiker100
    dirtbiker100 Posts: 1,997
    that dont count, i was torn past by someone at cwm who looked in his mid to late 50's so wont hold that one.
    when was that? and where on the trail?
  • Thewaylander
    Cor i almost feel like want to move... but with all the welsh trail centers near me... naw
  • lexiekay
    thanks sarah - i'll definitely let you know next time i'm down during the week.
    i must admit, riding on your own can get a bit boring at times!
  • Thewaylander
    Right time to go for another interview.

but my house mate is joining for a ride now this after so hope little after 4 i will be up Cwm carn sweating some fitness into myself
  • miss notax
    Enjoy :D

• lexiekay
    was in Southampton at the weekend, try out Telegraph woods, I thought it was great!

Thanks for the tip - will have a look next time I'm down :D
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    and there's nothing like a bit of topless driving to put a smile on my face

i hope you refaring to the car there :P :lol: :shock:

i know the feeling roof off windows down wind in your hair cant beat it.. oh and not being able to fit yuor bike or a cycle rack on your car cause its a cab...

i had to buy a second car well van just so i could continue my mtbin.. roll on summer topless driving getting a tan mountain biking getting a tan instead of a mud bath..

as for the beginner thing the more you do it the better you get its about having fun and enjoying as long as you do that it doesnt matter how good you are or look just enjoy...

what car have you got.
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    and there's nothing like a bit of topless driving to put a smile on my face

Too true!!
    Just been out driving round the little lanes with the top down, scouting out for places to ride in the lighter evenings - found a lovely little area of jumps with a few promising looking tracks leading away . . .
    I reckon I can get the bike in with the wheels off - its amazing what you can fit in an MG Midget!

Back on topic . . . . I reckon i'm still a beginner though I've been riding off road since I can remember! (about 13 years then, at a rough guess!) but its only recently that I've started to get really into it - all thanks to the bike needing bits just to keep it going! Bits became upgrades, upgrades became increasingly better!
    So yes, i'd say you're still a newbie!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • miss notax
    DELCOL - Lotus Elise :lol: 8)

PETE236 - I used to have a beautiful 1973 Midget! What year?

And i'm very glad to hear that I can still use the beginner excuse, but I completely agree with the sentiment that as long as you're having fun that's the important bit!

• FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    If in your first year you are a beginner, what are you in your second?

Just asking as I stop being a beginner in May.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Thewaylander
    in your second you become and unstoppable killing machine like The Rock.... but maybe not as cool
  • miss notax
    Cool, I look forward to that then 8)

• pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204
    sarah75 wrote:

PETE236 - I used to have a beautiful 1973 Midget! What year?

And i'm very glad to hear that I can still use the beginner excuse, but I completely agree with the sentiment that as long as you're having fun that's the important bit!

Well, shes also a 1973! Mid July registered so miss out on the tax exemption date :( Wouldn't mind an Elise myself one day - beautiful chassis and a such a sweet engine!

Do you ever miss the Midget days?

I guess I'm still kind of a beginner now, but no longer an unfit newbie I think! After going up and down Winter Hill near Marlow twice without stopping (about a 10% I think!) and then doing another 10 miles i'm dead chuffed! Still skill free though :( Enjoying yourself is definitely the main thing though!

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.
  • lexiekay
    Hurrah I think I'm officially no longer a beginner.... Went to the pub last night and found myself giving mtb advice to two different guys (friends of friends :D ) I discussed the merits of full suss vs hardtails with one (and my opinions on what he should buy!), and the difficulty of trails like cwmcarn with the other...
    Think i might be turning into a bike nerd :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hmm, I've seen plenty of people who've been 'riding' for years, who can't handle a bike for crap, but also, plenty of newcomers who kick arse.

'Beginner' probably ends when you don't feel like one anymore.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    delcol wrote:

i know the feeling roof off windows down wind in your hair cant beat it.. oh and not being able to fit yuor bike or a cycle rack on your car cause its a cab...
    You need a 350z then, I have a bike rack for mine. True I have the coupe, but it would fit to the drop top 8)

You can achive anything if you put your mind to it .... see....

th_DSC00310a.jpg

(to be fair I bough this off another chap who had it custom made from a Halfords bike rack, but it goes to show it is possible :D )
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You should learn to blame walkers, other cyclists, trail designers and especially your equipment - never yourself. Hope that helps.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.