Another needless Death

2»

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I always hate it when a lorry overtakes me and you see those big wheels only a foot or two away from you. It always make's me glad once it has fully passed me.

After my lucky escape with a lorry, which was 100% my fault i NEVER undertake a lorry now. Even if it is at a standstill at traffic lights. You just never know and it making up a few extra seconds worth the risk?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I think a lot of cyclists don't want to think like a driver.

They sit in blind spots and take cars down the inside.

I see many cyclists doing stupid things to save a few seconds.

I also see drivers do stupid things to save a few seconds

A lot of drivers don't think like cyclists

I think it's 50-50

I try to give cyclists room when i drive, but then they ride 8 feet from the kerb.....

When I cycle I give drivers room and am courteous, there is room for both.

But both can be as bad as each other.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    truck drivers in the majority dont think they own the road, they have to take those lines so they can move, its not as easy as a car/van and they need a bit more room, have a go driving one and see the difference
    van drivers are nearly always under pressure to do 150 drops a day so their concentration lacks and they tear ars* about all day
    and car drivers just need to be better educated and look around more, easier to do as they have a lot of glass and few blind spots
    not saying what happens is right, but there is no point just bashing someone cuz they drive a car/van/truck
    i do agree though that the enforcement needs to be toughened up concerning accidents on the motorists fault

So, let me get this right, the lorry drivers I see on the motorways daily have to drive bumper to bumper, they have to switch lanes wihtout looking behind them and when I am cycling, they have to "blast their horn at me" and then pull in when they are half way past me and not completely past me, because that is the correct line :D

I still believe the lorry drivers think they own the roads, it shows in the way the "majority" of them drive.

Bring back rail freight I say.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    truck drivers in the majority dont think they own the road, they have to take those lines so they can move, its not as easy as a car/van and they need a bit more room, have a go driving one and see the difference
    van drivers are nearly always under pressure to do 150 drops a day so their concentration lacks and they tear ars* about all day
    and car drivers just need to be better educated and look around more, easier to do as they have a lot of glass and few blind spots
    not saying what happens is right, but there is no point just bashing someone cuz they drive a car/van/truck
    i do agree though that the enforcement needs to be toughened up concerning accidents on the motorists fault

So, let me get this right, the lorry drivers I see on the motorways daily have to drive bumper to bumper, they have to switch lanes wihtout looking behind them and when I am cycling, they have to "blast their horn at me" and then pull in when they are half way past me and not completely past me, because that is the correct line :D

I still believe the lorry drivers think they own the roads, it shows in the way the "majority" of them drive.

Bring back rail freight I say.

Spot On Oldwelshman. After driving up and down the M8 between Glasgow and Edinbugh for near 13 years, I can say without any doubt that truckers in general are arses. Doing 65mph on the inside lane I would regularly have them hanging 3 feet from my rear - quite literally forcing me to break the speed limit to get a reasonable distance away from them. Coaches were bad, just not as bad! Knights of the road....bollocks!
  • pyro_maniac
    pyro_maniac Posts: 232
    i must be in the minority then, i dont drive like that at all, hte ones that drive like a tw@t will always stick in your mind, whereas the one driving better will be forgotten, its how the mind works
    i agree there is no need for them to tailgate each other, or other road users, they think they are getting some benefit from 'drafting' what ever is in front, i agree those drivers are tits
    there is no excuse for pulling out without indicating, but car drivers do it just as much, yet they are not hated as much as a truck driver
    rail freight should be brought back, as well as using the canal netowrks but the government has worked out it would cost too much and they wouldnt get as much revenue back so thats a non starter, even so the goods will still have to get to the shops from the rail/canal depot as well
    (i do hope you meant you where doing 56mph and not 65mph, as trucks are limited to 56mph and coaches are 60mph)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    i
    there is no excuse for pulling out without indicating, but car drivers do it just as much, yet they are not hated as much as a truck driver

Maybe because you have more chance of just bouncing off the car if you come into contact. With a lorry you are most likely going to go under the bl@@dy wheels!!!!

I agree we need to rethink how we distribute our goods in the Capital and other cities.

Both canal use and even outer London hubs would maybe be an idea. Also banning lorries during rush hour could be a benefit, although i bet the Road Haulage Association would scream blue murder if it was considered.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    (i do hope you meant you where doing 56mph and not 65mph, as trucks are limited to 56mph and coaches are 60mph)

No...65mph...the M8 has a max. of 70mph. I think along most motorways in the UK, you'd be hard pushed to see a truck doing 56mph in a 70mph zone. I can only conclude therefore that there must be a large no. of trucks out there with the speed delimiters 'rigged' - unless things have changed in the 2 years since I last did it!!!