Want to know what SIZE bike to get? READ THIS.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    stand over is not really anything to consider with the advent of front suspension.

do you really put both feet down at the same time?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not really but I have always been paranoid about it. I have even thought about selling it. My old hardtail, with no suspension is a 21" and a lot smaller than the 20".
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Need some advice. As you've probably seen from my previous posts, I'm new to MTB and am looking at getting a Scott Scale 50. I'm 6'2" (188cm) with 34" (86cm) inside leg. I liive in the Algarve, Portugal where most men are fairly short so my LBS don't stock any XL (21") frames. I've tried calling shops as far as 300Km away but found none that stock a XL Scale frame.

I tried the L (19") frame in the shop and it felt fine to me but being a newbie I'm not sure how it'll be on a longer ride. If I choose to go for the XL size I'll have to stick with it as the shop will have to order it specially and will not be able return it if I don't like it. This seems to be the policy of all the shops. They say they very little demand for XLs so wouldn't be able to sell it on easily.

The differences between the XL and L are:
    Top tube (horizontal measurement)
    XL = 620mm
    L = 600mm

Stem length
    XL = 120mm
    L = 110mm

So the reach increases quite a bit. If the L size feels right should I just go for that instead of the XL? The shop said they'd sell me the L but they recommend the XL but they are just going by their chart which says size L up to 185cm tall.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If the L feels right it i the correct bike for you.
  • jaybo1973
    jaybo1973 Posts: 301
    I have posted in this thread before with my concerns about my bike being a fraction to big im 6'1" 33 inside leg. Have a 20" Kona cindercone frame. I dont have a lot of stand over. Had a go on my mates 19" Marin at the weekend. Although the stand over was better, the bike felt short. I am in the grey area of sizing charts where both 19 and 20 are recommended. It seems you are in the grey area to hard-rider, although that extra inch you have on me would put you more on a 20 rather than a 19.
  • supersonic
    This is the thing - the 19inch Marin may be vastly different from the 20inch Kona. They may measure in different ways.

At 6ft1, you may well find that 16-22 inch fits fine model to model.

Go on what feels best for a particular model.
  • hard-rider
    This is my dilemma. I basically have to make the decision without being able to try the XL. Yes the L feels fine but the XL ma be better but I won't know until the shop orders it in which case I have to take it regardless.

I'm really thinking of going for the L because it feels ok to me and hopefully I'll be able to fine tune the reach with adjusting the seat and changing stem if necessary. The last thing I want is to feel too stretched.
  • jaybo1973
    Yeah, its an odd one. My old Diamond back is 21" but smaller than my Kona due to no suspension.

I tried a 19" rockhopper and it was like a BMX. The next size up is 21" and maybe to big?

like riding distance so the longer reach is good, but then the stand over isnt quite enough! Another mate od mine is into racing bikes. He got measured up and his bike built for him
  • supersonic
    I'd go for the L. Just based on what you have said.

As you say, you can fine tune, and you seem to have a good basic fit.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    hard-rider wrote:
    Need some advice. As you've probably seen from my previous posts, I'm new to MTB and am looking at getting a Scott Scale 50. I'm 6'2" (188cm) with 34" (86cm) inside leg. I liive in the Algarve, Portugal where most men are fairly short so my LBS don't stock any XL (21") frames. I've tried calling shops as far as 300Km away but found none that stock a XL Scale frame.

I tried the L (19") frame in the shop and it felt fine to me but being a newbie I'm not sure how it'll be on a longer ride. If I choose to go for the XL size I'll have to stick with it as the shop will have to order it specially and will not be able return it if I don't like it. This seems to be the policy of all the shops. They say they very little demand for XLs so wouldn't be able to sell it on easily.

The differences between the XL and L are:
    Top tube (horizontal measurement)
    XL = 620mm
    L = 600mm

Stem length
    XL = 120mm
    L = 110mm

So the reach increases quite a bit. If the L size feels right should I just go for that instead of the XL? The shop said they'd sell me the L but they recommend the XL but they are just going by their chart which says size L up to 185cm tall.

For what it's worth, I am 1M85 and I ride a Commencal HT in M with a 580mm top tube with a 90mm stem. Spot on. I am pretty sure XL would be too big for you.
  • jaybo1973
    supersonic wrote:
    I'd go for the L. Just based on what you have said.

As you say, you can fine tune, and you seem to have a good basic fit.

Just out of interest. What is L? Is it 19" or 20"
  • supersonic
    It is just a nominal word! Can be anything depending on the model.

In this case it seems to be the 19.
  • hard-rider
    Well just to update my post. I went back to the shop and had another site and ride on the L frame Scale and while it felt fine I was sitting fairly upright on it. There were some other pro'ish mountain bikers in the shop at the time and they also said I was a little upright and whilst it's comfortable it's not very efficient.

Based on everything they said and much deliberation, I decided to go for the XL frame which arrived at the shop yesterday pm. I have to say that after sitting on it last night it was perfect. I felt completely comfortable and my posture on the bike looked better too.

I'm collecting it from the shop in an hours time as they wouldn't release it last night as they had just completed building it and wanted to give a it a full check over before letting me have it. Woohooo. I can't wait.
  • jaybo1973
    What is the stand over like on it? I seem to find that frames with the correct length (such as my bike) dont really have the correct stand over. Although mine is great to ride, the stand over is eaten up by the forks. Are you finding this with a XL frame?
  • nicklouse
    jaybo1973 wrote:
    What is the stand over like on it? I seem to find that frames with the correct length (such as my bike) dont really have the correct stand over. Although mine is great to ride, the stand over is eaten up by the forks. Are you finding this with a XL frame?

stand over clearance went out of the window when suspension was invented.
    I should be totally disregarded on any HT or Fully.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jaybo1973
    nicklouse wrote:
    jaybo1973 wrote:

stand over clearance went out of the window when suspension was invented.
    I should be totally disregarded on any HT or Fully.

I agree, just a bit worried sometimes on technical rides that my family jewels are going to take a knock :( My riding position is perfect though!
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    hard-rider wrote:
    Well just to update my post. I went back to the shop and had another site and ride on the L frame Scale and while it felt fine I was sitting fairly upright on it. There were some other pro'ish mountain bikers in the shop at the time and they also said I was a little upright and whilst it's comfortable it's not very efficient.

Based on everything they said and much deliberation, I decided to go for the XL frame which arrived at the shop yesterday pm. I have to say that after sitting on it last night it was perfect. I felt completely comfortable and my posture on the bike looked better too.

I'm collecting it from the shop in an hours time as they wouldn't release it last night as they had just completed building it and wanted to give a it a full check over before letting me have it. Woohooo. I can't wait.

Interesting. Knowing the locals' taste for stretched roadie position even on MTB, I am not surprised the "pros" in the shop recommended the XL. From what you say, L was your size but if "efficiency" is your thing, then fair enough. I just hope your back does not hurt once on the trail, as things usually feel somewhat different than in a shop... Have fun anyway.
  • hard-rider
    nickfrog wrote:
    Interesting. Knowing the locals' taste for stretched roadie position even on MTB, I am not surprised the "pros" in the shop recommended the XL. From what you say, L was your size but if "efficiency" is your thing, then fair enough. I just hope your back does not hurt once on the trail, as things usually feel somewhat different than in a shop... Have fun anyway.
    The bike feels fine and I'm certainly not stretched over it. I had a 5Km ride home from the shop with no discomfort at all. But as you say, it won't be until I get onto a trail for 3-4 hours that I'll really know. But that can be said for the L frame too. It could feel fine in the shop and not be right on the trail. What I can say is that the 5Km ride home 80% road and 20% hard dirt paths my backside felt completely fine where as on the L size I really got sore after only a 5-10 minutes (but that could be something to do with seat position on the L perhaps).

@jaybo1973, I can get my fist (vertically, i.e.fingers stacked) between my top bar and jewels and my backside against the front of the saddle.
  • Hi,
    in need of a little help myself, really keen on the Genesis core 20 and the Cube Acid, now i have trawled my LBS and even taken a trip up to london and coundn't find any of either as i wanted to check the frame sizes.
    Genesis comes in a 17.5, 19 and 20.5 and the Cube comes in a 18 and 20.
    I am a fraction over 6ft and have a 32inch inside leg.
    i wouldnt mind it to be a smaller than my old 20+ inch specialized hardrock as i was too big and it cornered like a bus.

Is there anyone out there who can offer me some 1st hand advice?
  • Kelvo
    Kelvo Posts: 21
    I'm 6ft with a 32" inside leg and have a Core 30 with 19" frame.

I work around the counrty and could not find any dealers with any core bikes in stock to try, so phoned Genesis, they suggested the 19", and in my case were correct.

Leisure Lake Bikes are doing the Core 30 for £719.99!

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks for that Kelvo, how does it size up to other makes? someone said to me that the Core range come up a little smaller than most bikes.
    Do you know what the standover height is for 19"?
  • Kelvo
    Kelvo Posts: 21
    Standover with the forks set to 85mm is 77cm (30") and set to 130mm is 79cm (31")
  • k1_zav
    k1_zav Posts: 3
    I want to buy a Cube LTD COMP 2010 and the size of these bikes is different from the ones the I know like Trek. The cube bike has 20 or 22...
    My inseam is 94cm and I am 190cm tall. The seller told me to but 22" size. Any opinion?
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    Have you tried reading the beginning of this thread that explains why it is a good idea to try the bike rather than taking a guess at the size you need.

If the sizing is different from what you are used to then chances are that the geometry is different so it would be a good idea to find a dealer and ask to for a test ride.
  • tallsimon
    tallsimon Posts: 1
    I am 6'7" and thinking about getting a cube 22"
    I had a short ride on it but only on paths/roads. felt I was getting off the saddle to go up steep hills, not sure it wouldn't tip backwards if I stayed sitting. but unfortunately I didn't have the seet adjusted right and can't try it again as it was another customer's bike in for service! anyone of my height have a cube 22"?
    Would appreciate your views.
    Simon
  • legohed
    legohed Posts: 13
    Hi, I've read this and many other forums, websites etc... but I still can't decide or know what's right and wrong for me!

Basically, I've the option to buy either of the above bike in both 16" and 18" frames. I'm 5'7, 30" leg. The type of riding I hope to do will be commuting to work 12 miles a day, going into the woods/canal paths on days off, the odd weekend away to the N.Y Moors, Pennines etc and a coast to coast ride...

I've had quickie 5-10 min tests on them both, but only on the street next to the shop and both feel just fine, so would I be better getting the 16" or 18"? And for what reasons?

I've set my heart on a Cube (so no trying to sway me :? ), and they are on offer as they're last year's model for £800. Ideally, I'd be 17" (typical!). The guy in the shop recommended the 18", saying it just looked right as I wasn't stretched and sat over the headset so wouldn't get under steer. He said on the 16" when going up hills I'd poss lift off the front wheel and when going down, it'd feel scary and I might go over the bars! For some reason, I fancy the 16" (it didn't seem cramp) as it'd be more "chuckable" - the lbs reckoned that aft a few weeks I'd regret getting that as it wouldn't feel right.

I'm a beginner, I'm not afraid to fall off (as long as I don't break it! :roll: ) and I just wanna have some fun! Please give me your opinions... 8)
  • supersonic
    The guy in the shop is overstating those points lol. From what you have said I would be tempted to get the 16.
  • legohed
    legohed Posts: 13
    supersonic wrote:
    The guy in the shop is overstating those points lol. From what you have said I would be tempted to get the 16.

Really? Ok, cool. Thanks for that.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    Once upon a time i was told the best way to get a rough frame size is to do the following

measure your inside leg

then take away 10 inches (the average height for the bottom bracket

the take away 3 inches (the clearence your looking fore been your love tackle and the crossbar)

well using this formual im not too far off my frame size, ive got a cube reaction 20" frame, im 5'9" with a 34" inside leg. i have a 16.5 frame on another bike and a 18" frame on another ( not tried this as its the missus bike).

Dose anyone reckon my bike is the wrong size for me?
    im guessing from what ive read that the majority would say yes.

To be honest im finding the larger frame better so im at a loss as to all the fuss about people riding small frames, could someone please try to explain rights and wrongs regarding my issue

cheers
    scott
  • nicklouse
    yet again the stated size has nothing to do with the bike size and fit.

why? as most companies measure things differently. the old rule fo thumb quoted above is just that OLD and really has any relevance to OLD bikes.

bikes with front suspension and rear suspension make it useless. a bit like stand-over height

supafly1982 if the bigger bike feels fine then it most likely is.