Need to get "it" back, quick

3leggeddog
3leggeddog Posts: 150
I set myself a target of a 7 hr fred whitton this year. I live in the lakes and can train on the passes so its not impossible.

However a combination of illnesses and 2 climbing holidays has meant I have only ridden my bike once in the last 6 weeks. I spent the weekend shocking my system with honister, newlands and whinlatter both sat and sun. This didnt hurt too bad, but was slow.

Any hints for getting back quickly?

Other wise, its a choice between EPO and a wicker basket on the bars

Thanks
Ian

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Wicker basket.... :wink:
    Without knowing more its difficult to advise.
    How fit are you? How much time do you have?What have you done prior to your 6 week gap?
    Biggest bang for buck is something like 20 min intervals (2 or 3 per session) at a pace you can just maintain for final interva,l twice a week, but this is tough for many. If your fit ( & slightly potty ) you could do some of this work up hills at your cadence of choice but not too slow.
    MAke sure you do some longer steady distance stuff too.
    hope this helps a bit
  • 3leggeddog
    Thanks for your reply

Pretty fit normally. Prior to lay off was tarining with a group that included ex olympic triathlete and other once have beens, didnt get dropped too often. I will pick up that again when I've got my legs back.

Its 4 weeks to the event, so 3 training weeks in reality, unfortunatley with an enforced weekend off due to a dental op.

Rode newlands and whinlatter last night. Managed to maintain attack pace half way up each but no more.

Keep the advice coming
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    I'll stick to my original advice with the usual disclaimer about not getting exhausted/injured by doing too much! Longish intervals some evenings, and some longer steadier rides.
    Good luck!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    3leggeddog wrote:
    I set myself a target of a 7 hr fred whitton this year. I live in the lakes and can train on the passes so its not impossible.

However a combination of illnesses and 2 climbing holidays has meant I have only ridden my bike once in the last 6 weeks. I spent the weekend shocking my system with honister, newlands and whinlatter both sat and sun. This didnt hurt too bad, but was slow.

Any hints for getting back quickly?

Other wise, its a choice between EPO and a wicker basket on the bars

Thanks
    Ian

There is a large group of us from this Forum and other parts of Britain going out this Sat down in the Lakes. We are taking in the Struggle, Torver, Stickle pike, Hardknott, Wrynose, Wallend and Redbank to just name a few of the climbs. We have all done the Fred or some will just be doing it for the first time this year.

I am looking to do a sub 8hr time for the Fred which I missed by 10 mins last year but there are others in the group that are much better than myself. It wont get you going any quicker but a hard day in the saddle with a bit competition would not do any harm.

If you are interrested I could get the exact details and route when I get home from work tonight but you would be more than welcome to join us.
    Brian B.
  • 3leggeddog
    Thanks Brian, I would love to join you but unfortunatley I'm having my wisdom tooth removed on friday so dont think riding saturday is a great idea.

I'm planning on doing the whole route next weekend, punctuated with stops at tea shops and a pub lunch. Come along if you fancy it
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    3leggeddog wrote:
    Thanks Brian, I would love to join you but unfortunatley I'm having my wisdom tooth removed on friday so dont think riding saturday is a great idea.

I'm planning on doing the whole route next weekend, punctuated with stops at tea shops and a pub lunch. Come along if you fancy it

Would love too but have another big ride planned up in Scotland that w/end and the prospect of climbing Hardknott three times in the space of 1mth is something not even a steep climb fanatic fancies :wink: . Hope you get your 7 hr target.
    Brian B.