Need some cycling kit.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    willhub wrote:
    I had a puncture today 8 miles from home, my dad had to come get me :\, will self repairing inner tubes stop punctures all together apart from like slashes?
    If they work on the same prinicple as MTB tubeless tyres, then you should be safe from anything apart from an apocalypse. They tend to have a liquid latex inside them, which sets (I believe) on contact with air. They're pretty damned effective - someone stabbed his tyre with a nail to show me once! :D
  • Anonymous
    They are pretty cheap too, why does everyone still use normal tubes? Do they slow people down on road bikes or something?
  • techase
    techase Posts: 15
    Get down Tesco for a floor pump - its not great but will put 120psi in to a tyre but you may need to sit on the handle for the last 2 pumps! £10

They sell helmets too. I asssume they all need to meet safety requirements but probably cook your head in them. They are about £15.

If you watch Lidl and Aldi, they sometimes get some cheap bike kit in.

However, I tend to agree with the guy that said you buiy cheap, you buy twice.
  • Anonymous
    I think I'll buy the 25 quid pump that can go to 160PSI, I dont want tyres that aint really hard, I guess they'll slow me down.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    willhub wrote:
    They are pretty cheap too, why does everyone still use normal tubes? Do they slow people down on road bikes or something?
    I think weight has a lot to do with it - and the rim of your wheels is exactly where you don't want it! Most people carry a spare tube with the gubbins to fit and inflate it; probably weighs a good bit more than the slime but it's not rotating weight so not as noticeable.

I've never tried the slime-type tubes but from what I gather they only work on pretty small holes and can make a total mess of the inside of your tyre (not a problem you'd have with MTB tubeless tyres). Use decent tyres and don't ride in the gutter, you shouldn't have too many problems.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Shadowduck
    willhub wrote:
    I think I'll buy the 25 quid pump that can go to 160PSI, I dont want tyres that aint really hard, I guess they'll slow me down.
    I run 100psi front and 110psi rear - much higher than that you lose a lot of comfort for not much difference in rolling resistance. It's worth looking at Sheldon Brown's recommendations for tyre pressure.
  • Anonymous
    I never thought of that, I'll just buy 2 inner tubes and carry one around with me then it should be a quick job and can repair the one when I get home :D, never thought it that :p

You think in Halfords bike pumps will be ok priced? I think I will try 100PSi, I think I had them over inflated at first, I also notice how the back tyre is starting to wear out now, should not be a problem though untill threads are showing right?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    This is a good helmet, the rest of the stuff you have chosen is fine.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... UDYZHEL400

You'll struggle to get a good one cheaper than that.

RUDYZHEL400_1_Zoom.jpg

The TT helmet was a joke BTW......

I just bought a small black rudy kontact helmet for the sale price, and the quality is awesome, weight is also phenomenal, and the fitting method is superb, pound for pound, probably one of the best purchases I have made.

Going to keep my specialized helmet (With light mount on top) for off road, and this for road now - also comes with a clip on visor if you want it.

Oh and has a 'hair net' which is meant to keep bugs out, and also reduce that attractive 'helmet hair' look you get post ride.

Agreed, you 'should' try a helmet on first, for example, I have a medium specialized, and my gf has a medium Giro (Both 54-58cm) so I ordered Small/Mediums of 2 of the RP Kontact helmets, had either not fitted proprely I would have sent them back, but the review by another forum member was enough for me to take the minor gamble - ie I might have to pay postage to send em back.

Mine fits like a glove, as it were, but alas my gf's didn;t fit her well enough, so that is going back, you win some you lose some.
    As long as you are prepared for it not to fit, and realising that, and going through the minor hassle of sending it back, then it's not a problem in my eyes.

If you want super cheap tubes, and have a decathlon nearby, pick up some of their cheap range (Blue products I think they are called) for £1.95 for 2.

And as mentioned in another post, Lidl have an apparently decent trackpump for £5 I think it is.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anonymous
    I was in Lidl on wensday in manchester and I was thinking of getting the pump but I thought nah as I did not know if it would fit my valves.

I will be buying the inner tubes from Halfords, only place near by, they should have some decent tubes for low ish prices I guess.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    willhub wrote:
    I will be buying the inner tubes from Halfords, only place near by, they should have some decent tubes for low ish prices I guess.

Check the site out that has that Rudy project helmet, as I'm sending a helmet back, I am swapping it for 25 inner tubes, for less than £30, that's about £1.20 per tube, so is worth considering, as although the outlay is larger, it will keep you in inner tubes for sometime :D

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CONTTUBE450

Enjoy the purchasing and required research, it's all part of the fun 8)

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Shadowduck
    willhub wrote:
    You think in Halfords bike pumps will be ok priced?
    If they're priced around what you're seeing online, then yes. :wink: Make sure you get a metal bodied one with a gauge - a pressure release valve is handy too, but not essential.
    willhub wrote:
    I think I will try 100PSi, I think I had them over inflated at first, I also notice how the back tyre is starting to wear out now, should not be a problem though untill threads are showing right?
    What makes you think it's wearing out? I'd certainly recommend changing it before the carcass shows through the tread, they're not that expensive! If you're getting a lot of p*nctures that can be a sign it's time for new rubber, or if it just looks knackered I'd probably change it given what they cost and how long they last.
  • Shadowduck
    Daniel B wrote:
    [*snip* ... I am swapping it for 25 inner tubes, for less than £30, that's about £1.20 per tube, so is worth considering, as although the outlay is larger, it will keep you in inner tubes for sometime :D
    Twenty-five inner tubes. :shock:

At my current rate of usage, that would keep me going about thirty years!* :lol:

*I repair them if they're repairable.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I bought 25 tubes back in August,

4 wheelsets, so 8 tubes in them
    3 tubes I've poked holes in with tyre levers
    1 tube I pumped up out of a tyre accidently - it exploded
    1 pinch flat
    2 spare tubes in my saddle bag
    11 tubes still sitting in the box.

I guess it was viable for me, the LBS sell the same tubes at £5 a pop, I got mine for about £1.20 each.[/b]
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    hey willhub. I dunno if you have got all your gear yet but check lidl out. I went down yesterday and picked up a track pump for £4.99 and it will do more then 160PSI - A few riders on here use them and have done so for ages. Reports say they last a long time. Some even regard them better then a pump £25 and above. For £4.99 its worth a shot :)

adiós
    Doobz

DSC_1067.JPG

DSC_1071.JPG
    cartoon.jpg
  • Anonymous
    I went out today to halfords, got 2 of those continental inner tubes, 4 quid each :\ and for 15 quid I got a Bike Hut pump, hand pump the one you push down on, seems ok but now I have what I need to maintain the bike I wont be in no rush I'll order online, next time I get some money in the bak I'll order 28 inner tubes, had 1 puncture 8 miles from home yesterday, lukilly had my phone on me and today had one 4 miles from home on the front wheel, lukily I was about half a mile from a friends house so went round there.

I'm going to be doing this selby bike ride thing soon and its 25 miles or 45 miles and its on 11th may, I'm planning on doing the 45 mile one so going to have to get prepaired, I'd hate to get a puncture half way through and have no one with me to help though :(. Dont know if anyone would stop and help, I mean there could be around 700 people in this bike ride.
  • redddraggon
    Bloody hell you seem to be getting unlucky with punctures.

Don't ride in the gutter
    make sure your tyres are pumped up enough
    make sure your tyres aren't wearing out.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Well before I went on the ride I pumped my tyres up to 110PSi, the front one went down and the tyre is not worn out, the rear is showing signs of wearing in the center on the grip part but it should not be a problem yet. I wasent riding in the gutter allthough the roads round me are abit rough, they were re surfaced with chipping a while ago.
  • Shadowduck
    I take it the tyre was holding pressure ok before you went out on the ride? What sort of tyres have you got on, willhub? I had some Tiogas on my hybrid that used to p*ncture about twice a week, swapped them for Sport Contact and they've been fine since. *burns offering to tyre gods*
  • Anonymous
    My tyres are continental, dont know the model or anything, but I was coming down this hill and then got onto a flat streight and was going about 32mph and the road was abit bumpy and some dirt and all that with loose stones but I got traffic lights and sat on this seat and it was still ok, checked tyres, heard no air, then I started setting off and about 20 seconds later I could hear some sort of weird noise and thought wheel must be rubbing untill I felt the tyre going down and I could hear the air coming out, weird thing is when I checked the inner tube the puncture was on the bottom thats faving the actual wheel frame so cant of been anything from the road???
  • Shadowduck
    willhub wrote:
    *snip* ... weird thing is when I checked the inner tube the puncture was on the bottom thats faving the actual wheel frame so cant of been anything from the road???
    There's a big clue. Sounds like you might need to sort out / replace your rim tape, if you're getting punctures on the rim side of the tube.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    willhub wrote:
    I went out today to halfords, got 2 of those continental inner tubes, 4 quid each :\ and for 15 quid I got a Bike Hut pump, hand pump the one you push down on, seems ok but now I have what I need to maintain the bike I wont be in no rush I'll order online, next time I get some money in the bak I'll order 28 inner tubes, had 1 puncture 8 miles from home yesterday, lukilly had my phone on me and today had one 4 miles from home on the front wheel, lukily I was about half a mile from a friends house so went round there.

I'm going to be doing this selby bike ride thing soon and its 25 miles or 45 miles and its on 11th may, I'm planning on doing the 45 mile one so going to have to get prepaired, I'd hate to get a puncture half way through and have no one with me to help though :(. Dont know if anyone would stop and help, I mean there could be around 700 people in this bike ride.

willhub
    Are you in Selby? If so, go to the LBS (Selby Bike Centre), very good service and the guy who owns it really knows what he is talking about...would recommend this over halfords any day!
  • Anonymous
    Campy King wrote:
    willhub wrote:

willhub
    Are you in Selby? If so, go to the LBS (Selby Bike Centre), very good service and the guy who owns it really knows what he is talking about...would recommend this over halfords any day!

Thanks, I'm actually just a mile or so outside selby so I'll go in tomorrow maybe but would he charge to have a look at my bike and to see what I may need fixing on it?

This is a long shot but do you think they'd do a trade in for a better bike, so you kind of trade you old bike in (providing its in good condition) as a deposit for a better bike?
  • Campy King
    I am sure he would take a look at it, he may charge a few quid for setting it up but it can make a world of difference, you may not even need a new bike.... Not sure on trade ins although I would recommend selling the old one on ebay, you will get a lot more for it that way. He stocks and can get Giant, Felt and Cinelli as well as raleigh and Dawes from what I have seen although not sure what else he can get..
  • Anonymous
    Campy King wrote:
    I am sure he would take a look at it, he may charge a few quid for setting it up but it can make a world of difference, you may not even need a new bike.... Not sure on trade ins although I would recommend selling the old one on ebay, you will get a lot more for it that way. He stocks and can get Giant, Felt and Cinelli as well as raleigh and Dawes from what I have seen although not sure what else he can get..

Ah ok, I'll try go today, you think he would tell me how much it may fetch on ebay? :p I'm after a giant bike, proberbly one of those fcr ones as my frame on my current bike is too small for me I think.
  • redddraggon
    willhub wrote:
    Campy King wrote:

Ah ok, I'll try go today, you think he would tell me how much it may fetch on ebay? :p I'm after a giant bike, proberbly one of those fcr ones as my frame on my current bike is too small for me I think.

FCR? Surely you mean SCR?

FCR have flat bars, and of course you want drops?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:
    Campy King wrote:

FCR? Surely you mean SCR?

FCR have flat bars, and of course you want drops?

Yea I mean SCR.
  • Campy King
    What bike do you have at the moment, I am sure the people on here could give you an approx valuation
  • Anonymous
    Campy King wrote:
    What bike do you have at the moment, I am sure the people on here could give you an approx valuation

I have a 2004 Carrera Vanquish, I posted in another part of this forum to find but no one really replied to it, guess there is not much info about it.

Just wondering are you from selby and if so will you be participating in that 45 mile selby bike ride?
  • Campy King
    6 have sold on ebay in the last couple of weeks (check completed listings using carrera vanquish) went for between £162 in poor condition to £310 in great, all sold as well which is a good sign. I will be away on the weekend of the bike ride (11th May) and will not be participating this year..
  • Anonymous
    Campy King wrote:
    6 have sold on ebay in the last couple of weeks (check completed listings using carrera vanquish) went for between £162 in poor condition to £310 in great, all sold as well which is a good sign. I will be away on the weekend of the bike ride (11th May) and will not be participating this year..

The top of the break levers around were you hold onto them is all worm on both sides from when I crashed and from when its been turned upside down, should of put some rubber or something under it, so the condition seems fine apart from a small amount of consmetic damage and maybe the gears need adjusting again allthough there is one problem that is bugging me, the form area and the part of the framer it goes through, when I hold the front brake tight I can see it wobble as if the forms are loose??? Went to halfords, they said its tight now but there was still a small amount of movement but that would not matter and he said that it should not come loose again but abouy 60 miles later it has indeed came loose again :roll: