training for events...

morley
morley Posts: 26
I am a very inexperienced road cyclist, and with a young child (and another on the way very soon) i find my time to get on the road is limited to roughly once at the weekend - and then prob for no more than 2 hours. To try and fix this I have entered a couple of events later this year, but would like advice as to the best (short time available) training plan. I manage spin classes a lunchtime probably 4 - 5 x per week, but am certian that of themsleves insufficient. Any assistance greatly appreciated. I am not trying to break any records, just get round at most 100 mile ride later in year.

Comments

• Can you afford (or borrow) a semi-decent home trainer to do some training on the bike at home?

For the time limited, it is an excellent option. And you'll be at home all the time in case you're needed.

Get 3 x 45-60 min solid efforts on the trainer per week plus your weekend ride and you'll go ahead in leaps and bounds.

There are plenty of really good trainer sessions to build aerobic condition for cycling events.
  • morley
    morley Posts: 26
    thanks alex - will look into it - birthday coming up so may be just the thing...
  • Guyzie
    Guyzie Posts: 79
    Morley,
    In a similar position myself regarding time. I'm riding the North Cornwall Tor 100 next weekend and feel I've not put enough time/miles in. Scary! I imagine that everyone feels they could always do more?

Currently I'm getting in a couple of 30-40 mile rides a week into which I try and fit as many hill repeats as I can find, up and over the South Downs and push the pace as much as possible. Typically ave 17-18mph solo.

I also do 3 pretty hard spin sessions each week too. Obviously, you can make them as hard/easy as you like.
    I'm sure the "proper" bikers here will diss the spinning (should be out on the road, I know), but I feel they are a great way to get used to being close to your max threshold providing you're prepared to put the effort in. If you do blow up then you only have to drive home:-)

So my "training" is more based on short/sharp rather than long/steady, which is the generally suggested method. Longest ride I've done before is 87 miles, regret not completing the ton then.

I'll let you know how badly I suffer in Cornwall based on the above!!

Cheers,
    Guy
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    morley wrote:
    i find my time to get on the road is limited to roughly once at the weekend - and then prob for no more than 2 hours.

An additional option might be to go out early in the morning - ie - if you normally get up at 6.30, you could try 5.30 and get 30-45 minutes on the bike, or whatever - all helps (IHMO) - also, there's very little traffic on the roads at that time of the morning so it's enjoyable and relatively stress free - if there's any local hills or hilly roads incorporate them into your own training loop - get a bike computer or Garmin and enjoy testing your own avg over a set route.- adds to the fun & helps with motivation.
  • Plenty of "serious" cyclist have tried and do use "SPIN" classes as part of their programme, especially in winter. You'll find a few threads on here about it, but in reality anything that involves a pedalling action and elevated heart rate is going to be of some benefit, so do whatever you can. As Alex says, a turbo trainer is a great idea for someone in your position, just be prepared for the mental torture that goes with it
  • As Alex says, a turbo trainer is a great idea for someone in your position, just be prepared for the mental torture that goes with it
    Depending on budget - I think one of the features that reduces the "torture" aspect a bit is a decent weighted flywheel. Those low inertia mag resistance units really are torture :D

Combine that with a few routines to keep it interesting and you can make great progress.

After that it it looks like being something you'd stick with then there's a raft of fancy options available to those for whom indoor turbo training is a necessary part of their training life.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If you're doing 30-40 miles twice a week and spinning you should be ok. The last bit will be a sturggle maybe adn you might not be very fast but you'll do 100....
    according to me anyway. I have a theory/rule of thumb that your normal weeks riding (split over several sessions) should equal the length of the challenge. Obviously more is better adn longer rides are to be preferred just to get your head around cycling for a while but hey it sonly a rule of thumb!! :)
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    morley wrote:
    I am a very inexperienced road cyclist, and with a young child (and another on the way very soon) i find my time to get on the road is limited to roughly once at the weekend - and then prob for no more than 2 hours. To try and fix this I have entered a couple of events later this year, but would like advice as to the best (short time available) training plan. I manage spin classes a lunchtime probably 4 - 5 x per week, but am certian that of themsleves insufficient. Any assistance greatly appreciated. I am not trying to break any records, just get round at most 100 mile ride later in year.

hiya, I sympathise trying to juggle family life and trying to get the hours in. Now we have light nights, I'm finding it easier to manage as I can have some of the kids in bed and tea in the oven ready for when I come back after a ninety minute ride. At the weekend I was on the road at 6am to get a couple of hours in before the kids were out of bed - then back in time to do the round of swimming lessons/shopping and family stuff. My husband also cycles and he finds it difficult too - he's started driving half way to work then parking up and cycling the rest of the journey and reversing that on the way back - is that possible for you?

EDIT: just realised this is my 1000th post!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its very difficult to get seriously fit without getting the proper miles in...through those horrid 4 months of dark mornings and nights I was never off the Turbo...and at the weekends I was putting 60milers in..but my fitness was still not too good, but now after starting to get out at nights after work and getting serious bigger runs in I can instantly feel my fitness improving...no matter what anyone says there nowt like getting the proper miles in. If you are signing up for a few 100milers with current training regime then maybe opting for the more gentler ones would be a safer bet....I usually do 80-90milers now at the weekend but on the big sportives I feel that the effort is so much more, even though its just around 20 miles more...maybe as it usually is a tougher course and faster pace?

Maybe another good idea would be to trim up properly and loose any 'surplus'..that will defo help on a long run.

Everyones circumstances are different..I know many guys who have young kids and new borns but they still manage to get out for enough training...others simply can't as its too much logistics (both parents working/babysitters etc)...all this is understandable but worst of all is there are many guys out there who could get out but won't or don't as there partners are simply hostile about them having any hobbie outside 'happy families'...glad my wife is so supportive :wink:
  • Guyzie
    Guyzie Posts: 79
    Hi Morley,
    Further to my previous message, you can do a 100 mile sportive on "minimal" training:-)
    Managed to drag my arse around the North Cornwall Tor yesterday in 8.5 hours.
    Plenty of fast folk ahead, but some still finished behind me.

First 60-70 was fine, bit of walking on the steeper climbs but not too bad.
    The last 15 was very hard, legs totally gone. On the odd flat sections (not many!) I could just muster 15mph.

Fantastic day out though, might even have to go back next year.. maybe;-)

Cheers,
    G
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The spin classes you are doing will certainly put you in good stead for your road riding.

I know I was flying off about 4 classes a week, but then I'd blow after 40-50 miles - no endrurance.

If you want to ride the 100 reasonably well you do need to get some longer rides in on the road. Events seem to give you a reason to get out - so can you enter some shorter distance ones to build up to the 100 ?

I'm sure you'd get round the 100 anyway without the longer rides, but it would be much easier if you have some miles in your legs.