licra too lady-like!!

2»

Comments

• El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Just do it and get used to it.

I've been wearing lycra for so long I'll now wander in the supermarket, DIY store, Halfords, the pub, the office and not even think about it. It may scare old ladies but I just don't care.

Can anyone think of the least suitable place to wear bike gear that even a hardened lycra wearing wouldn't venture...
  • I used to work in a military staff college and dress code was as strict as you might imagine in such a place. Only I used to get changed in my office, which was right at the heart of the the building.

So every money - for three years in fact - I did the 'walk of shame' through the corridors of the college in full lycra gear and cleated shoes, while around me everyone else was in their immaculate uniforms/pinstripe suits/top hat and tails or whatever.

Nobody every said anything (and I was lucky enough never to bump into the Commandant). But I could feel them looking. And I still blush when I think about it now..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    El Gordo wrote:

Can anyone think of the least suitable place to wear bike gear that even a hardened lycra wearing wouldn't venture...
    Funeral? :shock:
  • David TQ ! Just shown my wife that photo and had to pick her up off the floor with laughing! ......She's also made me save it to show her mates!

Great photo, exactly what needs to be avoided!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Does licra help with speed? Surely it dont look too weird, I'm thinking about taking it one step at a time starting with licra for the legs, will move up later on but for now the ol fleece and shirt!
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    El Gordo wrote:

Funeral? :shock:

I've been to a couple of funerals lately where there were people wearing lycra. One of them in particular was packed with cyclists (there was even an overflow room) and those who'd ridden to the crematorium were wearing club strips. Later there was a big ride to scatter the ashes . He was a very popular and successful local rider.

When I was commuting 13.5 miles each way I regularly went shopping on my way home and, to be honest, I never gave it a thought that anyone would even notice what I was wearing. Why should it matter? When I did a lot of motorcycling I wore motor cycle gear; when I went sailing I put my wet-suit on at home to save time getting rigged and on the water. I didn't give a toss what people thought and still don't.

I think people today (particularly the young) are over sensitive about what others think - I'd hoped society had grown out of that in the 60s. In my youth it was only old fogeys who worried what the neighbours might think.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    mark145max wrote:
    Just getting into cycling but can't figure out what to wear that doesn't look rediculous(on me anyway) my wife will not let me go out in licra as she says I would be picked up (not in that sense) by the police and locked up for indecent exposure. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Stockings and high heels 8)
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    Stockings and high heels 8)
    Ah but should he go for LOOK stilettos, or a more practical pair of SPD wedges?
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Hi everyone took the plunge today and bought some bib shorts!!
    I didn't try them until I got home and lookily got the right size. Once I'd become bored of the freddie mercury in the mirror impressions I went for it and ventured outside..... straight into the path of my next door neighbour!! :oops: I must have looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights as it was a quick hello and jumped on the bike.
    Once on the bike, however, you were right, it didn't seeem to matter.
    Comfortable in the saddle and not a second glance by anyone, that's it now there is no going back!!
  • mark145max wrote:
    Comfortable in the saddle and not a second glance by anyone, that's it now there is no going back!!

Get out that razor, baby! :lol:
    It\'s not how many miles you put in, but what you put into the miles that counts
  • Get out that razor, baby!

Hey that's far enough next you'll be advicing me to wear pink and stop far tea and a slice of cake from a quaint little lady cafe!!!
    :x
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    mark145max wrote:

Get out that razor, baby! :lol:

Ive still never been convinced by the arguements for shaven legs, proper cycling kit I can feel how big a difference it makes, but I havent had road rash for years try my best to stay that way in the future... I will keep my manly hairy legs, and to heck with all the people whos stomachs are easily turned by hairy legs in lycra :D
  • mark145max wrote:
    Once I'd become bored of the freddie mercury in the mirror impressions

Hey, I resent that! :lol:
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    mark145max wrote:
    Once I'd become bored of the freddie mercury in the mirror impressions

Hey, I resent that! :lol:

was that resent or resemble???
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Go for it.

I started off with the lycra and either footy shorts or tracky bottoms over the them with a lycra top with a long sleeved Tee Shirt.

As the beer gut reduced (I'm still working on keeping it topped up!) I ditched the over stuff

I felt more confident, this winter I bought bib tights and will get new bib shorts for the better weather.

In the end it is the best equipment for the job of cycling, looser stuff is less comfortable.

When you get more confident and fit then you'll put on the gear and wonder why it took so long...
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cheers for all your replys.

One more question ,I have now gone and done it and ventured into the licra world where all is silky and smooth.....now I suppose you all shave too do you? What possible benefits would this have?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    mark145max wrote:
    cheers for all your replys.

One more question ,I have now gone and done it and ventured into the licra world where all is silky and smooth.....now I suppose you all shave too do you? What possible benefits would this have?

Only my face!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    cee wrote:
    mark145max wrote:
    cheers for all your replys.

Only my face!

Not even that!

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Oh dear, now you have started off another topic and watch out for the fireworks :D
    To shave or not to shave? :)
    Some say it is only for fashion, even if this is the case then so what? Most guys shave their face so whats the difference.
    I shave legs for different reason.
    I feel the cold especially on legs and although some will say wear longs, they are restrictive in a race and your legs also warm up as you ride.
    So I use deep heat on my legs rubbed in with olive oil which helps it spread as it is very dry otherwise. The oil also keeps the rain off, like water off a ducks back :D
    If anyone says shaving legs makes no difference for lubing legs, tell them bollox, you try and rub deep heat into hairy legs, you will use the entire tube as it sticks to your hair.

It is also a benfit if you crash and get gravel rash etc. Much easier to keep clean and faster healing. Hairy legs can also result in "ripping" cuts where the hir sort of rips the skinm urgghhh. I am hoping not to crash.

Of course if you do not intend to race or do TT or competative sportives then you have the luxury of starting a ride with longs on and can take them off mid ride ( not possible in a race) and have less chance of crashing so main reason for shaving is then fashion and vanity to show of your knew muscle definition :D

Mind you will get some strange looks on holidays when wearing bathing trunks, but you look stupid bythen anyway with sun tanned legs to short line and white as a sheet higer up !!!