licra too lady-like!!

mark145max
mark145max Posts: 28
edited April 2008 in Road beginners
Just getting into cycling but can't figure out what to wear that doesn't look rediculous(on me anyway) my wife will not let me go out in licra as she says I would be picked up (not in that sense) by the police and locked up for indecent exposure. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Tell her wearing uncomfortable gear for fashion \ looks, over practicality and comfort is traditionally the preserve of women.

In all honesty it does just make that much difference cycling that I got over my lycra phobia to make my cycling more comfortable \ easier \ more enjoyable. Ive came to accept the fact that no matter what you wear on a bike you arent going to look "normal" lets face it by time youve got your helmet and glasses on whos going to recognise you anyway :lol:
  • Roger_This
    Roger_This Posts: 136
    1. you won't get nicked
    2. you'll both get used to the idea
    3. if you really want an alternative, try a pair of baggy shorts with padded undies. You can buy them as a package or separately.

Cheers,

Rog.
  • LingfieldXC
    LingfieldXC Posts: 134
    just got myself some shorts recently - the wrestling stylie ones which have the shoulder straps. my god they are so comfy, i don't know what i was doing before.
    Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.
  • Shadowduck
    Shadowduck Posts: 845
    I occasionally wear the roadie uniform, but mostly I go with a normal t-shirt and baggies with padded shorts underneath for longer journeys.

What's always amusing is seeing the difference in reaction from other cyclists - there are roadies who'll wave to me every time in lycra that totally blank me in baggies, and a few on MTBs who do it the other way round...
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    mark145max wrote:
    Just getting into cycling but can't figure out what to wear that doesn't look rediculous(on me anyway) my wife will not let me go out in licra as she says I would be picked up (not in that sense) by the police and locked up for indecent exposure. Has anyone got any ideas please?

You will feel so much more comfortable if you wear proper cycling kit.
    The Victorians used to go swimming in voluminous garments, and would have been horrified by modern swimwear. No one would mow argue that swimming trunks are inappropriate for swimming, just because they differ from everyday clothes.
    If you are going cycling wear cycling kit! If your wife objects, start suggesting that you are going to shave your legs!
    Just going out in lycra will then be seen as a compromise.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Just thank her for the compliment and remind her that a little lycra obscenity in public is a small price to pay for her loving, well-hung husband's comfort :D

Seriously, lycra shorts a pretty much essential but there's nothing wrong with wearing something over the top (like 'baggy' mtb shorts or somthing). However, if you're not stopping off anywhere (other than a pub or cafe), then the only public situation is a bloke out on his bike!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    It's a context issue - sure you may look a little odd stood in the kitchen / in the pub / queue at Asda in full lycra but once you're on the bike it's fine!
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    It's a context issue - sure you may look a little odd stood in the kitchen / in the pub / queue at Asda in full lycra but once you're on the bike it's fine!

Yep, thats very true. Once on the bike it doesn't look odd at all, and you choose neutral or dark colours no one will look twice at you. I started off wearing baggies over my lycra but after a while just took the plunge and never looked back. Could be an idea for you though, some light acrylic footy shorts or something over the top and ditch them when you get your confidence.
  • I always feel kinda stupid in my lycra before I get on my bike (and maybe the first 5 mins after getting on it) thanks to my mum pointing out that I walk funny etc lol, but once i'm cycling I tend to forget about what i'm wearing. Also when I get off the bike after my cycle, I really couldn't care less about what i'm wearing due to me being chuffed about my cycle and also due to being shattered lol. :)

You should just take the plunge and see how u feel lol.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I sit on the Edinburgh - Glasgow train most days in full lycra. No one has ever tried to pick me up / arrest me. Just get on with it.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Used to be a guy in our racing club that raced in MTB baggies. Did very well with
    them. He did eventually switch to lycra. And, just recently, started to shave his legs.
    I guess you could say "it all comes with time".

Dennis Noward
  • azzerb
    azzerb Posts: 208
    Just go for it.

Who knows, you may be faster as you're trying not to be seen?
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    If you are feeling self-conscious, black lycra is best for the shorts and get a shirt with dark side panels. Somehow, you look less like monsieur michelin, that way.

I just wish someone would style a cycling jersey in such a way as to completely disguise the full horror of a beer belly!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Though if you do take the plunge, you'll have to accept that you'll only ever look good to other cyclists - even if you're decked out in the finest Assos or Rapha gear.

As my wife always says (rather bluntly to my mind): those girls aren't looking at you on your bike because they think you're cool dear... :(
  • graham_g
    I should really add my little story in. My other half was taking the micky last weekend asking if i was going out in just my lycra (it's been too cold recently not to wear my touring style shorts over my bib-tights), and I was for the first time on a decent length run. "How was it?" she asked. "women look at you and smile" was all I could say.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can I just add something here, as an MTBer?
    I couldn't care less whether or not you wear lycra, but you DO look ridiculous covered in sponsor’s logos. (unless you actually are a sponsored rider, naturally)
    Seriously, I can't help but laugh when I see a cycling poster-board

Keep it sensible colours people. Honestly.
  • HungryCol
    HungryCol Posts: 532
    edited April 2008
    Can I just add something here, as an MTBer?
    I couldn't care less whether or not you wear lycra, but you DO look ridiculous covered in sponsor’s logos. (unless you actually are a sponsored rider, naturally)
    Seriously, I can't help but laugh when I see a cycling poster-board

Keep it sensible colours people. Honestly.

Move along, move along. Mountain Biking just to the right of Road now please Sir.

I break my heart laughing at all the foortball supporters wearing jerseys of their teams with their sponsorship on it*.

No, confidence come with time. The next big step is when you cycle to the office in all your lycra. That's uber confidence.

* this is sarcasm
    Every winner has scars.
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    gavintc wrote:
    I sit on the Edinburgh - Glasgow train most days in full lycra. No one has ever tried to pick me up / arrest me. Just get on with it.

Hope you actually do some cycling during that journey as wearing lycra just to get on a train is just plain weird!!! :lol:
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    HungryCol wrote:
    I break my heart laughing at all the foortball supporters wearing jerseys of their teams with their sponsorship on it.
    Actually, I do find that hilarious, and just as sad.

It's all context. Just because you do something doesn't make it sensible, no matter how much you want it to. I bet you laugh at all the guys in subaru imprezzas with full sticker-kits, including driver names on the windows? Same thing.
  • graham_g
    Dude, I hate having logos on my bike, nevermind my clothes! Team kit is all bloody ugly in my eyes. Or maybe I've just not been fully indoctrinated!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Graham G wrote:
    Dude, I hate having logos on my bike, nevermind my clothes! Team kit is all bloody ugly in my eyes. Or maybe I've just not been fully indoctrinated!

You really do need more training to see the wisdom and pupose of colorful team kits.
    How else do you expect bike clothing companies to get richer??

Dennis Noward
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think the whole lycra thing is in the mind. Just look at the stupid things people wear in the name of fashion. A couple of years ago it was ponchos. You couldn't walk 10 metres without seeing a woman with one one. Shorty after it was gilets. Then there were all the completely stupid hair styles inspired by Mr Beckham. For me fashion is about getting someone to wear something so ridiculous that they wouldn't dare go near it when it is no-longer in fashion. So any time someone makes a comment about lycra make a comment about something they wore in the name of fashion, and then ask them if they would be wearing it every day if it was the current "in fashion" clothing. They may say no, but they will know in the back of their mind that the answer would be yes.
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    Just get on with it man :D
    Get into the lycra and as a good friend of mine would say "Man up wet pants"

COVEC
  • wideboy
    wideboy Posts: 206
    When wearing padded lycra shorts do i need underwear? as ive just got some and need to try them on the road..

also whats better shorts or short/bib?
  • wideboy wrote:
    When wearing padded lycra shorts do i need underwear? as ive just got some and need to try them on the road..

also whats better shorts or short/bib?

No way! Lycra shorts should be treated in the same way as a Scotsman's kilt in this respect.

Also, having just got my first pair of bib shorts last week - after 8 years of being properly back on the bike - I can say with confidence that they are totally superior. 10 x more comfortable and slimming to boot!
  • No way! Lycra shorts should be treated in the same way as a Scotsman's kilt in this respect.

Also, having just got my first pair of bib shorts last week - after 8 years of being properly back on the bike - I can say with confidence that they are totally superior. 10 x more comfortable and slimming to boot![/quote
    Going commando in lycra!! If I was worried about indecent exposure I certainly am now! I think I may have to:
    1. Try a different sport or
    2. Tuck my tail between my legs and grin and bear it!!!!! :twisted:
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    Just flaunt it! I had my first race in a TT skinsuit last week and it felt good :D

Normal lycra shorts/jersey etc are fine. I'd pull tracky bottoms over bibs before popping round the shops though as they look just a little bit strange :wink:

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    mark145max wrote:
    No way! Lycra shorts should be treated in the same way as a Scotsman's kilt in this respect.

Also, having just got my first pair of bib shorts last week - after 8 years of being properly back on the bike - I can say with confidence that they are totally superior. 10 x more comfortable and slimming to boot![/quote
    Going commando in lycra!! If I was worried about indecent exposure I certainly am now! I think I may have to:
    1. Try a different sport or
    2. Tuck my tail between my legs and grin and bear it!!!!! :twisted:

Most good lycra shorts come with padding which covers not only the saddle area but further forward to prevent "polish budgie smuggling team" incidents :D With "good" kit you wont look like this :D

7715-Poland.jpg

Decent padded shorts will preserve your modesty :D and allow a more comfortable on the saddle north south orientation without embarasement. Unlike our polish friends who get dragged up regularly on this topic :lol: You also dont need your top to be skin tight, you can get a wicking base layer and cycle specific t-shirt which looks a little better and performs FAR FAR better than a plain t-shirt.
  • Make sure you buy a pair with a good dark coloured gusset though to avoid the embarrassment of 'gold watches'.

Eeeeee. Can't believe I just typed that...
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    So far i still wear baggies with a padded lycra inner.

I know when im on the bike it makes no difference but when i'm off my bike it looks like a camels hoof is stuck down there :shock: