immune system

alzeb
alzeb Posts: 35
blood tests = very very low white blood cell count.due to illness 22 yrs ago i suffer from a low reading anyway,BUT now its really dipped,hence faint 24/7

so! the world and his wife wants to sell me magic potions and pills,Elagon and Zambroza have been reccommended,

general opinions please?gimmicks,wont a fuel intake inc LOTS of fruit and veg and regimented sleep pattern be just as good?or is it time to unlock the purse strings?

Comments

• grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Vitamin c and zinc, zinc is especially good.
  • alzeb
    phew!so no expensive gimicks???
  • grimpeur
    grimpeur Posts: 230
    Not really a gimmick, a tube of non-branded Vitamin C and ZInc dissolving tabs from Boots will cost you about £3 for a 20-day supply!

There is also strong evidence that Zinc has positive effect on your immune system.

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov ... /zinc.html
  • alzeb
    no,what i meant was tha nk god its as simple as zinc rather than this zanboza for £17.50 which lasts 2 weeks...etc etc,zinc here i come!
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    B vitamins are good too as is good protein intake - ie wholemeal bread and roast turkey breast sarnie? Vit C & Zinc will have a good effect if your a bit low already but don't go mad - too much C will just be passed out in urine. better long term is a good healthy 'balanced' diet - fruit & veg, some wholemeal, and protein sources low in fat turkey/chicken/ fish, pulses & beans.
    Sleep is also important for recovery as it is during sleep that growth hormones for repair are relased.

BTW "faint 24/7" - are you feeling faint all the time? See a doctor soon if thats the case. forgive me if I'm wrong but someone with a signature like yours was on here a while ago feeling happy about a very low body fat level - that in itself could be making you feel ill.
  • alzeb
    have seen dr and have had blood taken THATS why i know my white blood cell count has dropped off the low scale and is very low!BUT good thing is the iron etc etc are all fab and so is renal and liver function!so almost there.ive a target too to gain 4.5kg.
  • i've also heard that zinc is good for the immune system
    pm
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Just eat fruit, like berries. They are naturally rich in zinc, no need for chemical compounds and you get other vitamins too. Oh, and they taste good too!