Everybody ready for the Lakeland Loop?

2»

Comments

• davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Well i can easily say that i will hold the course record, for the longest time. I started bang on 8am, and finished at 5pm. Lovely walking weather up Hardknot and Wrynose, no one around to push me, even the sheep werent interested.

Fantastic scenery, fantastic weather, and to the organiser chaps and lady at the end, a big thank you.

To all the guys and gals that asked how i was after stopping on some of the hills, a big thanks to you too.

Next year i will be back to wipe at least 2 hours off my course record.

But by god it was hard!!

Well done Howie, you got round and thats the main thing. It was bloody hard wasnt it!!

I said hi to you as I was climbing the first climb up Redbank. I recognised you from the pics in Cycling Plus!!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    How far was it exactly, yesterday?

At what I had as the halfway mark, 2 other lads were showing 10k less.

Was it 75miles (120k) or less? They seemed to think it was 65 miles when I spoke to them this morning.

And hi Howie - I was sat nattering to you at Santon feed stop.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    My GPS tells me 69.2 miles, with 2300m of climbing.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    My computer reads 70 miles, but I did go back a little to help someone with a puncture.
    I would think its about 68 miles.
    Memory Map has the climbing at 8400 ft. As it always exaggerates I would have thought that your 2300 metres is about right.
  • Mr davelakers hello sir, at that point i was trying to keep my hearty bowl of porridge down!
    I was in for a bad day even on the first climb.
    Mr Yorkman, whoever told us it was only 20k to go from the second feed stop had better come to my place for stern telling off, becasue i can assure him, 12 miles from the feed stp was the top of Hardknott, the cheeky bugger.

My legs are little stiff today but i reckon next year, with the weight down, i should get back to the finish before the timekeeper buggers off home, becasue i did finish, at 5pm, which in my book makes me 9hours.

So to the super fit chap that came first, he could have done one lap, stopped for an hour of lunch, done a second lap and then rode back with me over the last few miles!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • LeeW
    LeeW Posts: 18
    My polar 720i HRM with alitmeter showed 6,800 feet
  • davelakers
    One thing Im gutted about is missing my mates clipless fall as he arrived at the 2nd feedstop..........
  • 3leggeddog
    3leggeddog Posts: 150
    Dont want to pee on anyones chips but I cleared up 6 empty gel/bar wrappers from the whinlatter climb. This begs 2 questions

1 why are you eating when you should be breathing?

2 do you not have pockets for your litter?
  • vermooten
    Pictures are available now: http://www.digitalfeel.co.uk/portfolio29791.html

Here's me. I so need to lose a stone in the next month:

2658_165380787548041f9ce195d.jpg

Manchester Wheelers
  • davelakers
    vermooten wrote:
    Pictures are available now: http://www.digitalfeel.co.uk/portfolio29791.html

Here's me. I so need to lose a stone in the next month:

2658_165380787548041f9ce195d.jpg

Im not there.................bummer
  • LeeW
    Me neither but that is only the first lot, I hope I will appear in one of the other batches.
  • vermooten
    Yeah keep going onto the digital feel site. He does them in batches, usually takes a day or two.

Manchester Wheelers
  • LeeW
    Next lot is up, I'm the guy on the tricycle on page 12 :)
  • vermooten
    LeeW wrote:
    aha so you decided to go Dark Side! How did you get on with the climbs?

Manchester Wheelers
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Here's me. Bit out of focus/blurred though.

http://www.digitalfeel.co.uk/photo999925.html
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    LeeW wrote:

Saw you on one of the climbs, possibly out of Ennerdale Bridge, then at the finish too.
    How long does your chain last on that beast? - it seemed to be scraping along the road surface a lot of the time.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Any idea where they were taken as I don't remember seeing anyone brandishing a camera?
  • vermooten
    It was on the descent of Hardknott - a very odd place to take pictures (i.e. cyclists going fast), hence the blurriness.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Hudster
    Hudster Posts: 142
    edited April 2008
    Here's me. Unfortunately I blinked.... My one chance to look good and I blew it. :cry:

You can tell it's a fast descent by the wheels about to go off the ground from hitting a bump (see the front already up). Those roads were so bumpy and it was a job to hold onto the bike at full on speeds. It felt like the bike was getting a complete beating underneath you. I usually mountain bike but that's a much more solid feeling bike, so this was quite scary and very exciting.

I must apologize to the person who asked me if Wrynose was the last climb and I replied I thought it was. What can I say..., I was wrong...I didn't know about that bonus 25% climb...

2658_11435054848041fba7eb90.jpg
  • Well if he was on the descent of Hardknott, he wasnt there when i flew past at 4pm.

He could have waited for me!

Swine.

I wont bother looking for my photo then.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike