Everybody ready for the Lakeland Loop?

davelakers
davelakers Posts: 762
Its a big day for me on Sunday and to be honest Im papping myself.

Its going to be the hardest thing Ive done, I just hope the "Sportive Effect" kicks in and helps me round.

Comments

• paul27
    paul27 Posts: 515
    Good luck Im sure you;ll be fine :D
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    edited April 2008
    Yes fear not, and enjoy the scenery! It's gonna be good fun.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • wheeler585
    wheeler585 Posts: 552
    Lakeland loop entry going if anybody knows anyone? Rob
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    As long as the wind stays away and it's dry then it promises to be a canny day out......

Not looking forward to Hardknott.
  • The latest forecast is 4-6mph winds WNW, 6 degrees C and partly cloudy which doesn't sound too bad.

I'm looking forward to the event as I've never done any cycling on my road bike in the Lakes before. I'm sure Hardknott will be a shock to my system. :shock:
  • Does anyone have a more up to date weather forecast.

I for one am now getting a little twitchy about this one. Only done one other sportive before, and i may have bitten off a little bit more than one can chew here.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Does anyone have a more up to date weather forecast.

I for one am now getting a little twitchy about this one. Only done one other sportive before, and i may have bitten off a little bit more than one can chew here.

My feeling as well!!
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    No one can forecast the weather when it's this unsettled. Could well be heavy showers, including hail, and very cold on the tops. Or we could be lucky and bask in Spring sunshine - at least until the showers kick off over the hills.

The Easterly winds we have in the North at the moment were supposed to back NW'ly by Sunday, but the forecasts seem to be indicating a delay now: could well be a 15 knot headwind up Hardknott :shock:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Its been a mix of heavy showers, sunny intervals, and grey skies in Kendal today. Apart from some hail at lunchtime its not been too bad. BBC and metcheck are suggesting less showers for Sunday.
    First sportive of the season for me. I've done the Fred Whitton for the last two years and fancied an easier start. The idea is to be at my best for the Raid Pyrenean in September, and to treat the loop as a social ride. Having said that, I've changed my triple for a compact so may well suffer in a big way on the hills. My best intentions of staying on the bike on Hardknott are usually thwarted.
    For those that are getting nervous, be assured that the aforementioned 'sportive effect' usually means that you will be much stronger on the day than you expect. Save some energy if you can for the last climb from Little to Great Langdale. It will be tough after your battles with Hardknott and Wrynose.
    Just watch out for some of the tricky descents, particularly if the roads are wet.
  • davelakers
    Well Ive just swapped my 25t Tiagra cassette for an Ultegra 27t cassette. Its only 2 teeth but Im hoping for all the help I can get!!!

Weather seems like it might be ok, so see you tommorrow.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Would be great to see how everyone got on today, be sure to update guys!
  • davelakers
    Fantastic day. The weather turned out to be absolutely perfect for the entire day.

My riding (walking) time was 5.34 whch Im very chuffed about. Im a bit gutted that I failed miserably on Hardknott and Wrynose, but Im glad to say I was in very good company. There were younger and fitter looking people than me walking them. Some other people have mentioned the daunting sight of Hardknott on the approach from Eskdale and I can completely
    agree with them. From just over the bridge from the phone box you are faced with the most amazing yet terrifying sight ahead. Hopefully next year with better equipment, a couple less stone and legs that dont cramp up with every turn of the pedal, I might be able to make a better attempt.

The organisation was first class with well stocked food stops and very well signposted route. I recommend anyone to try this Ride!!
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    +1 it was a very well-organised ride. I think some people didn't see the 2nd feed stop though. (I think I saw you at the 2nd feed stop davelakers - very distinctive bike.)

My legs are well and truly f-cked now. I also had to walk up Hardknott but it seems almost socially acceptable. My time according to my computer was 5h28m, which is fine. Dunno how I'll do in the Fred next month...

Deffo do this one again next year.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • davelakers
    vermooten wrote:
    +1 it was a very well-organised ride. I think some people didn't see the 2nd feed stop though. (I think I saw you at the 2nd feed stop davelakers - very distinctive bike.)

My legs are well and truly f-cked now. I also had to walk up Hardknott but it seems almost socially acceptable. My time according to my computer was 5h28m, which is fine. Dunno how I'll do in the Fred next month...

Deffo do this one again next year.

After doing this today I cant imagine ever wanting to do the Fred!!!!!!!!!

The 2nd feed stop was in a nasty place IMHO. Half way up a steep slog. It was very difficult to get going again afterwards.

I was just about to leave the food stop when a bloke rode in and fell off in agony with cramp. I stretched his leg for him but he still couldnt get up. I dont know if he finished or not.

Got a few comments about my bike today which was confusing. Asking me why the hell I'd "bought one of them, they're from Halfords !!" Sorry I couldnt afford a Pinnarello or a Scott or a Willier!!!!
  • Rich K47
    Rich K47 Posts: 62
    Again, a really well organised and signed ride so well done to Epic events. My computer said 4.40hrs and I only stopped to refill bottles and use the loo so hopefully the official time won't be much more. I rode it all but was fairly tired at the end. The people pushing were more of an obstacle than the generally very considerate drivers today!
  • davelakers
    edited April 2008
    Rich K47 wrote:
    Again, a really well organised and signed ride so well done to Epic events. My computer said 4.40hrs and I only stopped to refill bottles and use the loo so hopefully the official time won't be much more. I rode it all but was fairly tired at the end. The people pushing were more of an obstacle than the generally very considerate drivers today!

Sorry about that Lance............................................... :roll: :roll:
  • Steve928
    Cracking day indeed - we were so lucky with the weather. My first time in the Lakes: what a great riding area it is.

Made it up both Hardknott and Wrynose OK on my 53/39+13-30. Even got to sit down for a while :) . I wouldn't fancy trying them in the wet though..
    Round in 4h17m according to my computer.

Didn't wait around for the official times. I'll guess they'll be on the Epic Events siite at some point.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Steve928 wrote:
    Cracking day indeed - we were so lucky with the weather. My first time in the Lakes: what a great riding area it is.

Made it up both Hardknott and Wrynose OK on my 53/39+13-30. Even got to sit down for a while :) . I wouldn't fancy trying them in the wet though..
    Round in 4h17m according to my computer.

Didn't wait around for the official times. I'll guess they'll be on the Epic Events siite at some point.

Well done Steve, I've been waiting on your input...you must be a strong lad...but I bet after the climbs you did think I was fairly accurate with my appraisal...its some climb aint it?

I'll be having a pop very shortly myself...and then again soon after on the FWC...and its absolute insanity at 100miles in your legs...
  • Rich K47
    Rich K47 Posts: 62
    The people pushing were more of an obstacle than the generally very considerate drivers today[/color]![/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean it quite as it sounded! I just had a difficult time getting round a couple of groups of people who were pushing 3 abreast on the steepest bit of Hardknott, it was all I could do to stay on and ask them politely to move a bit. Hope you enjoyed the ride :)
  • Bike snobbery should have no place in these events (referring to comments about your bike) DaveLakers it's a shame we have a few riders like that. Too much of a status thing for some I fear. :( What's more important is that your out there doing it and you enjoying it.

It was a fantastic ride today. That first climb over to Grasmere was a wake up call and Whinlater was tough in places. It was tough starting after the second feed it took me a while to engage my pedals on that gradient.

People warned me a about Hardknott but seeing it today for the first time was unreal. I manged to cycle up to the bit where it levelled off a bit then got cramp in both legs (ouch!!!). I then walked up the wall/hairpin bit and got back on near the top. One thing that did scare me a little were those descents :shock: (all I could smell was burning brake blocks on the way down Hardknott and Whinlater). I managed to do the ride in 5.32. One hell of an experience!

Well done everyone.
  • davelakers
    Bike snobbery should have no place in these events (referring to comments about your bike) DaveLakers it's a shame we have a few riders like that. Too much of a status thing for some I fear. :( What's more important is that your out there doing it and you enjoying it.

It was a fantastic ride today. That first climb over to Grasmere was a wake up call and Whinlater was tough in places. It was tough starting after the second feed it took me a while to engage my pedals on that gradient.

People warned me a about Hardknott but seeing it today for the first time was unreal. I manged to cycle up to the bit where it levelled off a bit then got cramp in both legs (ouch!!!). I then walked up the wall/hairpin bit and got back on near the top. One thing that did scare me a little were those descents :shock: (all I could smell was burning brake blocks on the way down Hardknott and Whinlater). I managed to do the ride in 5.32. One hell of an experience!

Well done everyone.

I completely agree Chris. I wouldnt mind but for the money it is actually a bloody good bike. The magazine experts even say so!!

I actually found Whinlatter a breeze. We were just nearing the top and a bloke came past and said "Well thats the first one out of the way" I was expecting much more. I was in my saddle for 90% of the climb. Mind you it was well before my legs went to ratshit!!

Apart from Hardknott and Wrynose, I found the slog up Dunmail Raise to be horrible. It just went on and on and on. The ride round the Lake just after Dunmail was stunning though. Bright sunshine with the fog just lifting off the water was beautiful!!

And I also hated the descents!! One of the joys of climbing is have a fast smooth descent. I locked up coming down Redbank into Grasmere and was very very close to an off. Still dont understand how I stayed on. From that point on I was papping myself!!
  • Steve928
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Well done Steve, I've been waiting on your input...you must be a strong lad...but I bet after the climbs you did think I was fairly accurate with my appraisal...its some climb aint it?

I'll be having a pop very shortly myself...and then again soon after on the FWC...and its absolute insanity at 100miles in your legs...

Yes Richy, that is some climb indeed: it's on the limit. One false move, someone in the way, a car coming down etc..and it's game over. I think that bike handling skills (track-stands at 30 degrees..) are as important as power/endurance.

And yes, your description was spot on. Quite a sight from the approach.

Oh and less of the 'lad' please. 51 years and counting.. :wink:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    As planned today's ride was treated as a social occasion for a change. Ride time was a modest 4hours 59, and total time will be greatly in excess of that, but it was nice to finish an event without feeling completely drained for once.
    Credit is due to Epic Events for their excellent sighnposting, and quality feedstops. Home made scones, chocolate flapjack and loads of other bits and pieces were spot on.
    I've rarely seen the views of the Buttermere valley and fells looking better than they did today.
  • Well i can easily say that i will hold the course record, for the longest time. I started bang on 8am, and finished at 5pm. Lovely walking weather up Hardknot and Wrynose, no one around to push me, even the sheep werent interested.

Fantastic scenery, fantastic weather, and to the organiser chaps and lady at the end, a big thank you.

To all the guys and gals that asked how i was after stopping on some of the hills, a big thanks to you too.

Next year i will be back to wipe at least 2 hours off my course record.

But by god it was hard!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Feel a bit of an infiltrator here.
    Me and my mate were out on the tandem going over Birker Fell to Wasdale and saw you folk coming over Irton Pike. Anyhow, some were still coming when we got back to Irton Pike and the only way home for us from there is Hardknott or Birker Fell and as it was such a nice day we went for Hardknott. I reckon you saw the Lakes at near its best today. (Yesterday would have been a different matter!)
    Fantastic weather - and thank God for tandem gearing ;-)
    I must say the motorists were very courteous going over Hardknott. They're not all bad you know.

Anyhow, we made it up, and from the folk we chatted to, it seems everyone had thoroughly 'enjoyed' it. Hats off to the lady we met up with at the foot of Wrynose. I think she was thinking she wouldn't get up it, especially as she could see a fair few up ahead walking, but fair play to her, she stuck with it and we rode over the top side by side. That was one gutsy lady. I don't know who was more pleased for her, us or her.

Must enter the ride 'proper' next year.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    Well i can easily say that i will hold the course record, for the longest time. I started bang on 8am, and finished at 5pm. Lovely walking weather up Hardknot and Wrynose, no one around to push me, even the sheep werent interested.

Hey, don't do yourself down. Just think - while you were out there in all that fresh air and wonderful scenery having a fantastic time, there were many thousands of others sat on the sofa watching bloody golf! How daft is that! ;-)
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    rhnb wrote:
    [ there were many thousands of others sat on the sofa watching bloody golf! How daft is that! ;-)

nah, it was footy today :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • LeeW
    LeeW Posts: 18
    I did it.
    My computer said about 5:35 at the end but I think my actual time will be about 6 hours due to time spent at the cake stops.
    I have never ridden anything that hilly as there are no hills like that near me to train on. My 'bike' weighed about 34 lbs with an extra few lbs in my bag.
    I was one of the few who managed to ride up hardknott without walking. I was riding a tricycle though so maybe that is cheating. I had an 11-34 cassette with XTR derailleur and a 53-39-26 crank to give some silly low gears for the silly gradients.
    Did anyone here see me, I think I was the only tricycle on the ride.
  • Achieved all my ambitions, had a great day out, socially and physically, did not have to walk (main ambition), though went slow enough at places on Hardknott to have been quicker walking!!

5:11 on the watch, rode a good distance with Vermooten before we realised we knew each other!!, Waved to the tandem guys, well done for getting yourselves and others over the hills, don't you have to do three point turns on the hairpins?

Thanks to all who contributed to my enjoyable day, riders with chat and wheels to follow, locals for their encouragements, and the organisers for setting it up and providing the no fuss atmosphere.
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • parky53
    parky53 Posts: 41
    Steve928 wrote:
    The results are on UK Results website. Don't appear to be up on Epic website yet.

Fantastic event - great organisation, signposting, catering, parking etc. - but where were all the people? Getting on for 450 entrants and only 300 or so finishers. Must have all decided to stay home and watch golf/footy rather than the enjoy perfect weather in a perfect landscape.

I managed 5.23 (including stops) on what was my 3rd Sportive and the second longest distance I have ever cycled. It's great getting into a new sport at the age of 54. I'm a crocked fell runner awaiting ankle surgery and it's marvellous to be out and about doing something rather than getting fat and feeling sorry for myself. I'm in the Fred next month and now realise what I am up against. :shock:

Best wishes,

Keith