acheing legs

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
on saturday i rode 47 miles wind against me half of the way, then on tuesday i did 69 miles with quite a few hills which for the last few i had to walk up then i did 34 miles on saturday and rode up the last hills i had to walk up on tuesday, but my legs seemed very tired on sat and are still aching a bit now guess i have done to much im 46 and been cycling over 18 monthes now, is the acheing normal, its put me off long rides , i cycled to work this week for 2 days 6miles each way but my legs seemed tired

Comments

• chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    andy610 wrote:
    on saturday i rode 47 miles wind against me half of the way, then on tuesday i did 69 miles with quite a few hills which for the last few i had to walk up then i did 34 miles on saturday and rode up the last hills i had to walk up on tuesday, but my legs seemed very tired on sat and are still aching a bit now guess i have done to much im 46 and been cycling over 18 monthes now, is the acheing normal, its put me off long rides , i cycled to work this week for 2 days 6miles each way but my legs seemed tired

You naughty boy, you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself (unless you were on a fixed wheel, in which case you're a hero.)

I was going to reply with acheing legs is the best thing about cycling, the feeling off, I've done something, now grow baby grow and get better,fitter, faster, but quite frankly since you WALKED a hill, I'm not even going to respond. :wink:
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    i know legs will ache but did i overdo it for them to feel tired a week later, also i guess you havent had the bonk when you just cant ride up anymore hills well ive had it twice now last time on a 94 miler 8 miles from end, but thats usually due to not eating enough on my last ride i didnt feel hungry. must of been overuse of the muscles
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Hi.
    Whether you did too much is relative really.
    I am same age and also into second year back from cycling.
    Last week I did 70 miles sun, 35 mon, 20 tues, 40 wed, 65 thur and 85 yesterday.
    I only had ache yesterday after really hard group ride.
    Si it really depends how much mileage you have been doing up to those rides last week.
    If you have done similar mileage each week up to that then you havent over done it.
    As Chris said leg aching indicates you have done some good work and your muscles will benefit from it, no pain no gain :D
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Some helpful info on recovery...
    http://www.cptips.com/recvry.htm
    Cajun
  • mr-ed
    mr-ed Posts: 130
    I find that when I overdo it and don't recover properly my performance drops off each ride, and for some reason I'm always slow to catch on that I need a couple of days off. After that I'm back to normal and feel good.
  • andy05
    andy05 Posts: 12
    the best thing i do after doing any rides . is lay on the floor and put your legs up against a wall at around 45-60 degrees/
    this rids the legs of lactic acid and u relax at the same time
    bargain !
  • You could also try compression underwear (skins type) to help your legs recover after tough rides. Theory is that it stimulates the circulation to help remove lactic acid etc from the legs.
    You can either wear them for a couple of hours after you get back or sleep in them.