Sports Testing in London - any recommendations

Testing, testing, testing.

I've decided that I'm going to take the plunge and get myself tested for some of the important perameters of which I hear so much on the training forum, VO2max, LT, power thresholds, AT, etc etc.

I'm doing my second étape in just over three months and am well behind on my training compared to 2006 (new baby and the related exhaustion and demands on my time have put paid to much decent training for the early part of the year), so it's time to get some effective and targeted training done rather than the miles and miles that I could afford to do as a young, irresponsible childless man in 06.

This is where the testing comes in - I'm looking for suggestions for somewhere in London, (preferably West, South West or North-West) that could do the testing and perhaps guide me on what I should be doing in the next three months to get etape-ready. I'm not after an expensive training programme from them (I can manage to wangle that for free from the titans of the training forum!) but I'd appreciate some guidance from them as part of the testing. Bit of a cliche, I know, but I need to train smarter this time round so I can get up the Hautacam with a smile at the top and ahead of my travelling partners.

Any suggestions gratefully received - and if they're clued up on bio-mechanics (dodgy pelvis/knee) it would be better still.

Comments

• guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    TKK I have just seen this on another site. May be of help.

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/3115
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Could try SPARC at Roehampton
    http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/sparc/
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I did a VO2 max test at Brunel University, but this was a freeby for taking part in some research for a friend of a friend so I'm not sure they offer it as a service as such. Pretty sure Kingston University DO offer sports testing as a service though no personal experience.
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    Bronzie wrote:
    I did a VO2 max test at Brunel University, but this was a freeby for taking part in some research for a friend of a friend so I'm not sure they offer it as a service as such. Pretty sure Kingston University DO offer sports testing as a service though no personal experience.

I've also had a free test from a guy in our club who's studying sports science, it might be worth ringing a few local universities and see if they're looking for volunteers.
  • Thanks for the ideas everyone. I may try SPARC at Roehampton Uni and see if they'd do testing for me on the cheap as part of any frankenstein genetic doping experiments they may be doing :wink:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. Any chance you can let me know how it goes and if it's worth doing?
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    There's a place down in Putney:

http://www.fitness-testing.co.uk/

Which PhilS on here has used and recommends I tihnk.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Sport test (Garry Palmer??)is very well respected....... I think he's in Hampton once a week.... it may be quite difficult to get a booking tho'

How about hiring a coach, tho???
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    On the biomechanics side..... glenn duffy at atum22 is very good..... in addition to being co-owner at atum22 (custom Ti bikes) he is a podiatrist (I think) but with experience and interest in bike biomechanics. His practice is in Surrey somewhere.
    Good luck,
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Thanks again everyone, some good suggestions in there.

Alex - I tried that guy a year ago and spent an inordinate amount of time trying to set up an appointment with him. He didn't seem that ar5ed at the time to have my custom :(
    how's your training going? YOu're doing the etape this year aren't you?
  • I think the guys at Prologue Bikes do it - they are very helpfull

http://www.prologuebikes.com/
  • natefarr
    natefarr Posts: 1
    Hi Guys/Gals,

Recently did the test with one of the people mentioned below. Results were startingly high and do not match my actual performance. According to some rough calculations with the VO2 max suggested, i should be running (for example) a 10km in 10 minutes less than my current 42 min. that's hard to believe.

or is it?

I did a search in forums and others have been 'positively suprised' and 'very motivated' by their results. Is this a common thing anyone else has experienced? My point is that yes it feels great to be told you're in the top whatever% but your aspirations and goals may then become unrealistic. Did anyone get a poor result or lower than expected?

Any views on this?

Nate