Training/Food Advice for 100mile Charity ride in June

as50215
as50215 Posts: 78
Hi all

I am after any training and food advice/tips, I am doing the Devon Coast to Coast in June that is just under 100miles.

I have been riding a couple of times a week over the last month doing around 30miles at a time but with the clocks changing etc I will be getting out more.

The reason for the post if yesterday we did 60miles around North Devon that included 5600ft of total climbing and the last 10-15miles I thought I wouldnt get home the last climb I could hardly turn the pedals it was like someone had give me a dead leg my thighs just refused to operate. We still did it just under 4hrs so at this early stage with not much riding in my legs I feel it was ok but was very worried how I felt by time I got home as felt quite ill.

So what do people eat before (including the night before) and what do you eat and drink on a long ride ? as I only rode with a drink and no food

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Congratulations - you now know what "the bonk" is! :wink: You used up all your muscle energy reserves and your legs suddenly turn to lead.

For a 100 mile ride * I * would eat:

Big bowl of pasta or similar carb rich food the night before.

Porrige or museli in the morning.

Probably 3 or 4 "Elevenses" bars and a banana and start eating after 30 miles (half a bar every 5-10 miles). May take more food on at controls depending on how I feel.

Drink 2 x 750ml bottles of water with "PSP Go" in - will probably need to top these up on the ride depending on the weather - just drinks sips, never gulp down

The really important thing is to keep eating/drinking on the bike little and often and to find out what works for you on the ride - I've tried all sorts of different things but find Elevenses bar suit me and they are also easy to open and eat while still riding.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Agree with all of the above. Go by Joe Beer's maxim - TESTIT - Try Everything In Training Several Times. Once you get used to the 60-70 mile rides, use them to play about with hydration and nutrition, to try out different foods/products, see how much you can manage to put away and how it feels.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Easily digested, carb rich food is good whilst cycling, but you'll also find taht things are easier as you get fitter or if you pace yourself carefully. Carbs stored in body are finite - you can make them last longer partly by taking it just a bit easier in teh beginning - blasting off like a mad thing for teh first half hour will leave you empty quicker.
  • MartinJ
    MartinJ Posts: 104
    I would agree with Bronzie about a good carb meal the day before - pasta or rice and a carb rich breafast (weatabix for me).

I wouldn't wait until 30 miles to start to eat - you've already used a lot of your carb reserves by this point. I start to eat after 45 mins and eat something every 45 mins. I take a variety of frusli bars/ Go - gels/ malt loaf - so that it doesn't get too boring. I also drink PSP. 2 litres is about right for 100 miles at this time of year - much more liquid in the summer.

You need to take in as much food as you can without eating too much which will make your stomach fel very heavy and make it hard to eat later. Your stomach can use about 60g of carbohydrate per hour so balance your solid/liquid carb intake to be cloase to but not exceed this. Try different foods and find what works for you.

Good luck
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Depends on your "motor".

If I ride hard I aim to eat every 10km or 20mins with a high calorie bar (I use Eat Natural) or gels. I generally alternate or chose whats right for the terrain. Nothing worse then trying to eat a bar and sucking in air whilst climbing an hill.

Try and use a HR monitor. For me low HR and feeling pants = bonk WHILST high HR and feeling pants = dehydration.

Also make sure you are properly hydrated a couple of days before hand.
    Paul
  • Guyzie
    Guyzie Posts: 79
    PJM-84,
    Interested in your quote regarding hydrating a couple of days before.
    What would you suggest.

I'm signed up for the 100 mile North Cornwall Tor in a couple of weeks time and, of course, haven't done as much training as I'd like (weather!) so want to make sure I don't cause myself more problems with nutrition and hydration:-)

Cheers,
    Guy
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Guyzie wrote:
    What would you suggest.
    ..........not drinking too much of this stuff the night before which seems to be a common failing in my carefully structured training regime :roll:

519618482_db8532c81f.jpg[/img]
  • Guyzie
    Yeah, that's always a tricky one:-)

Fortunately I'll have my wife and kids in tow (not on the ride) for the weekend so the chances of "indulging" are pretty remote.
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Just try and stay hydrated.

I have a cycle bottle in work and sip from that during the day. I mix it with a little juice and it seems to go down well enough.
    Paul
  • Guyzie
    Cheers, thanks for the advice PJ.
    G
  • as50215
    thanks all for the replies they are appreciated
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    In addition to all the good advice: http://www.ultracycling.com/siteindex.html
    Cajun
  • as50215
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice, ate and drank well yesterday, took decent drink and food today did 65miles (http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /346800306) and total climbing 5800ft and was quicker than last week and felt like I could have happily carried on for more miles. Really appreciated advice