Jetlag advice for US riding trip

Spinner28
Spinner28 Posts: 58
I'm riding in the US in May. I'm used to riding in Europe but have never been to the US before. Indeed I've never actually travelled outside of Europe before.

I'm concerned about the effects of jetlag, particularly the effects it may have on my training schedule with it being almost high season.
This isn't bothering me much for the outward trip & the riding out there, as I believe travelling west is easy for the body to accomodate. But I''m concerned about when I get home! Everyone I speak to (non cyclists) say's that eastward travel screws you up big time, & I'll be knacked for two weeks & doubt I'll be able to put in any training or riding because I'll be up all night & tired all day!! Two weeks is a long time to have off, it's bad enough when you get a summer cold!
Does anyone have any advice on jetlag & how this may affect my training/riding when I get back?
Should I give in to my bodyclock on arrival home & just spend two weeks on night-time mtb rides:-)
The best sheep are in N.Yorks

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Depends how long you spend in the USA, but if you are there for a week or more, your body clock will reset itself to the timezone. Once this has happened, the homebound jetlag is almost certainly the worst.

However I find it hardest to re-adjust back to GMT in the winter, summer tends to not be so bad because it gets light so early.

My top tips are:
    - get up early on your last day so you are tired by the time you get on the plane
    - have something to eat at the airport, but a light snack preferably - don't eat the meal on the plane
    - make sure you are fully hydrated, but not so much that you keep having to get up for the loo
    - set your watch to the destination time zone as soon as you get on board, and then go to sleep at your normal time based on your watch - it can be hard to do this while everyone else is eating and watching movies so take ear plugs, neck pillow and eye shades with you to help you snooze
    - I find it very hard to sleep properly on planes, so naps is all I tend to get - drink sips of water when ever you wake up

Depending on your age (I find it's getting harder to re-adjust as I get older) you will probably be re-adjusted to the new time zone within a few of days, although getting up early in the morning can be a struggle for a week or so.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I did this last year in USA.
    I went for business for two weeks, I rode some training rides with local riders after finding them on net, then on the weekend there did a 100 mile sportive and a good long lone ride all no problem.
    I then returned home and did another sportive following week and then did London to Paris week after.
    I did not get any problems at all.
    As Bronzie said I just change my watch to destination time zone no matter which way I travel.
    I always make sure I drink lots of fluids before and during flight and try to sleep on the flight also.
    I normally just go out for a steady ride the day after I arrive.
    I find sleep depravation much worse than jet lag.
    I recently went to Treviso to buy a bike and had to leave 4:30am the got home 2:00 am following morning, got up at 6am, drove 280 miles, picked up my daughter, then went on to train on Newport track. I was almost falling asleep, had the shakes and generally felt crap.
    That was worse than any jet lag I have had, but I do not really suffer from jet lag as long as I do the above :D
  • Spinner28
    Spinner28 Posts: 58
    Ok, cheers for your advice. I'm in Chicago on business for 3-days. Then I'm making it into a riding holiday. I'm spending some time riding with the Chicago Cycling Club. I'll be there for 10-days in all. So I'll follow the advice & just hope my riding's not too badly affected by jet lag when I get home.
    The best sheep are in N.Yorks
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Go round lake shore drive and watch the girls in lycra cycling and skating 8)