Training with HR

Harp
Harp Posts: 79
I'm confused as to what I should be doing to train my lactate threshold.
If I am doing say 2 x 20 min efforts and going by HR at 80 - 90% effort and my power at lactate threshold is say 250 watts.
If in the first interval I manage 250 watts and an average of say 85% HR , but in the second int I have to reduce the power to say 225 watts to stay in the 80 - 90 % range.

Am I acheiving what I am after , ie, lactate threshold improvement ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes, training at any reasonably decent aerobic power level above recovery will train lactate threshold, however some power levels do it more effectively than others.

So by dropping your power to stay within a HR "zone" (assuming you were still capable of sustaining the higher output but chose not to) is less effective than just maintaining the original power level.

If you have access to power measurement, then use that to guide your efforts - HR becomes a bit of sideline data, bordering on irrelevant. It is normal for HR to rise during well paced efforts.

If you can't complete the 2nd effort at the same or similar power as the 1st, then your first effort was a bit hard, so drop it back a little next time. They are self correcting over time like that.
  • Harp
    Harp Posts: 79
    Thanks Alex