Question for Garmin Edge 305 owners

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
You know there are two different modes for tracking the history - one mode that tracks every second (but uses more space/memory) and another mode that only adds a track point when something important changes (like speed, direction, cadence, etc) but uses less space/memory.

Well I was reading the manual and it says that tracking every second means there will only be enough space on the device to hold 3.5 hours of journey time in total.

Now my commute is just over an hour each way and I'll be uploading the history to my PC every night so I like the idea of using the every-second mode for tracking in full detail.

However...

I also want to use the 'Courses' and 'Virtual Partner' functions to save a journey and then race against myself the following day, replacing the course each time I manage a new personal best.

So (finally) here's my question...

When you locate one of your journeys from the history and save it as a course, does that still eat into the 3.5 hours of memory or do courses get saved in a special location that is separate from the normal history, meaning you can use the full 3.5 hours regardless of having courses saved?

I ask because the total hours I need to have saved in the device at any one time breaks down like this:

1) Today's journey to work - saved in normal history = 1h10m.
2) Today's journey home - saved in normal history = 1h10m.
3) Personal best journey to work - saved as course = 1h10m.
4) Personal best journey home - saved as course = 1h10m.

Total = 4h40m

So if the two courses (2h20m) get saved somewhere that doesn't affect the history, I'm laughing.

If not, I'll have to use the less accurate tracking which will be a bit of a shame.

PS If you don't know the answer but you do know of a more Garmin-specific forum then please point me in the right direction. I looked on Garmin's site but couldn't see any message boards there.

Comments

• terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I have a Garmin 305.

I have never used the every-second recording mode. I do not see the point. I think it relates only to navigation.

Speed, heart rate, cadence and altitude are all continuously updated and recorded even on the memory saving mode as far as I can tell. I always assumed the every-seond recording mode was for off-road riding where you might want much more detailed navigational information. Seems a bit over the top for your morning commute.

Anyway your question about how the Garmin stores different types of data in its memory is far too techie for me. I am just a humble cyclist.

Try the forum on http://forums.motionbased.com/smf/index.php . They are much more Garmin specific.

If anyone does know or find out what the every-second recording mode is for, then please let me know on this thread.
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    I have just checked the Garmin manual since my last post. It seems I was a bit wrong.

The smart recording mode only records changes in heart rate, cadence, speed and direction.

But my point remains. If the device records every change in the recorded data, then what other data do you need on a road ride? After all, if it doesn't change then you (and the computer) can assume that it has stayed the same.[/b]
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Because I'm going to be riding against the Virtual Partner every morning and evening, I wanted Mr Partner's data to be as detailed as possible so that when it tells me I'm 10 metres ahead (or behind, which is probably more likely tbh) it was doing so from a detailed set of waypoints so there was no margin for error.

Best thing to do is just give it a go I guess. Looking forward to getting my hands on it when it arrives.