Struggle

steve23
steve23 Posts: 2,202
so, ive been doing a few miles recently, not fast miles so to speak, but rides over 60miles.

today, i decided to give my new TT bike a blast, i did 15 miles and was wasted! at times as i was riding i just wanted to stop, my legs were screaming at me! it seems that i just dont have that "top end" at the moment, like i did during my TT's last year!

before someone says it, no i have not been overtraining! i only manage 3 or 4 rides a week MAXIMUM!

any tips on how to push past this tough time? i long for the days i can again sprint up short sharp climbs, and ride at TT pace without wanting to stop and go sleep!!!

or is it just a case of grin and bear it?

thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________
If You Can't Cut It With The Big Dogs, Then Don't Pi$$ Up The Tall Trees!

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Do some interval training - loads of advice in this forum already as to suggestions of what types.

The 2x20 thread is probably as good a place as any to start:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12555444

............although you'll probably want to mix it up with some shorter, higher intensity sessions as well.
  • Do some fast 2hr rides - just under 50m TT pace - that'll give you some power.
    Ride evrywhere fast - that'll help too.
    Spend an hour 1-2 times a week on your TT bike to get you used to riding in a race position.
  • steve23
    my position on my TT bike isnt a problem. i know im not used to it, but i have been set up on it correctly!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Repeating what the last two have said but in a differnt way, sounds like your position on the TT bike is different to your position on the roadbike.

I'm not saying either is wrong, but they're different.

e.g. you may have your TT bike lower at the front, saddle further forward, etc so that you're stressing your quads rather more than on the roadbike.

Assuming it is set-up right, you need more miles on it.

Now the weather's improving (yeah, right :( ) and the hour's changing so I can get out in daylight after work, I'm going out at least once a week on the TT bike for a quick blast, in addition to doing longer miles on the roadbike at the weekend
  • steve23
    andy maybe you are right, a few more rides on the TT bike might be what is needed.

thanks
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    steve23 wrote:
    andy maybe you are right, a few more rides on the TT bike might be what is needed.
    If all you have ridden over the winter is long slow miles, it should come as no surprise that you don't have "any top end". Intervals will help get some speed back in your legs - you can ride them on the road on your TT bike rather than doing them on a turbo.

I agree that riding the TT bike more will help get you used to the more extreme position again, but if all you are doing is pootling along on it, you will not gain much benefit. Some structured training sessions on it will be more beneficial.