Sciatic pain

cyclingvet
cyclingvet Posts: 131
Since October, after finishing a 100 mile sportive and having a sore left rear thigh and feeling of tightness at the back of my knee, I have experienced the same after most longish rides ( can be anything after 20 miles or so, but usually after a 40+ ride). After the first instance in October it actually made me limp a bit for a day or two. I also get an ache in my rear thigh if I sit down too long at my desk. Just after Christmas I decided to go and see a physio after self diagnosing piriformis syndrome and he said it wasn't that but my back. He wasn't sure it was a herniated disc but I did show a positive straight leg raise test and the pain was worse in this position if I brougt my chin to my chest- which often does indicate a herniated disc. He told me my lower back was very stiff as was my left sacroiliac joint

I am very lucky that my job involves very little sitting down and I don't suffer anything like the pain I have heard others suffer with sciatica, but if I do stt down for too long or take a long car jounrney I do get this awfull ache in my left rear thigh. Since seeing my physio I have been religiously doing all the exercises he has prescribed, which for the last 5 weeks have also included a load more to strengthen my core .

In January I went for a bike fitting at Enigma (bought an Esprit) and it turns out the fit on my other bike was virtually spot on (I have mine set up half way between what is classed as the Eddy Fit and the French Fit on the Competitive Cyclist web site---the competitive fit would give me a very sore neck, numb fingers and probably make my back worse!) So I think I have that side of things covered.

I'm not sure how much my symptoms have improved as they are intermittent. For instance, two weeks ago I did 40 miles Saturday and 30 on Sunday and no problems. Last week did get recurrence after only 20 miles. Did 40 miles 2 days ago and just slight feeling of tightness and inttermittent aching in my left rear thigh whcih cleared up in 24 hrs. I certainly seem to feel it after rides with lots of hard climbs.

Is there anyone else out there with this "mild" symptoms of sciatica and if so how have you got on. I have entered a few sportives this year starting in May, including the Rydale and am wondering if I'll be able to do them!

I'm doing all the stretches , including hamstring and piriformis- in fact my physio says my hamstrings are pretty good for a cyclist! I'm wondering how long I should leave things before I ask my GP to refer me for an MRI, but I'm not really wanting to take loads of time off work (and off my bike) for an operation unless there is no other way.

Comments

• Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I had Sciatica in 2003 so bad that there was no bodily position that would relieve the pain. Sitting, standing, laying down...no position relieved the pain. It felt as though a hot poker was in my hip 24/7...almost to tears. A lower lumbar MRI, Cat scan, and nerve conductivity tests provided nothing but to lighten my wallet (just a 'money maker' for the US hospital & doctors) Then the pain started to subside, and within 3-4 months I didn't have any issues. I already had an Inversion Table (Hangups) and that seemed to releive some pain and I continued the std. exercises and haven't had any problems since.....as there is no single answer or cure-all; keep doing the exercises, listen to the body and to the physio...Common sense should be your guide.
    Cajun