Neck ache?

ctilbury
ctilbury Posts: 21
For some time I have noticed that - especially on longer rides (3+ hours) - my neck and shoulders begin to ache. I used to think this might have been due to using a rucksack, but when I recently switched to a pannier I found the same thing happening.

Perhaps it is just inevitable, given that cycling posture is not exactly the most natural - but perhaps somebody can give me some advice as to how to mitigate it?

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    edited March 2008
    Similar problem was discussed here recently:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12558890

I get the same tension in the neck muscles, even sometimes on shorter rides (especially racing when I'm on the drops more) - moving your shoulders and stretching your neck while you ride can help alleviate the symptons.

Strangely I suffer with neck ache more on solo rides than on a club run - I can only assume that turning to look at the rider next to you momentarily while you chat can help ease the neck muscles. :?
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    Hi,

it was moi who posted a few weeks ago! I have been ok recently, stretching as people suggested and being careful not to wear jackets/tops that hang fairly low at the back pulling on your neck and shoulders. This has helped a lot. Hope you find a way round it as it does make riding pretty miserable.